• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

GDT: Canes v. Wild 1/19 7:00

andyt

Canes Moderator
Staff member
The Canes try to start a winning streak against the hot Wild.

The Canes blew a late 3rd period lead against the Canucks on Sunday and lost the skills competition to snap a 2 game winning streak. Koochie was on the next flight to Chicago after the game because Freddie showed in the previous 2 games that he was back to 100%. The team took a 2 day break before returning to practice yesterday. Patches was back on the ice after missing the last 2 games. I’d expect Freddie in goal tonight, he broke out his red pads yesterday, so we might see them tonight.

The Wild are 3rd in the Central with 54 points in 43 games. They’re 6-2-2 in their last 10 but are on a 3 game winning streak, beating Washington on Tuesday to kick off a 4 game swing through the old Southeast. Kirill Kaprizov leads with 25 goals and 27 assists, just outside the top 10 in the league in goals and points. Jared Spurgeon is 15th in the league at +20. Marc-Andre Fleury has started 26 games in goal and is at 2.86/.905. He’s been alternating this month with Filip Guatavsson, who is at 2.16/.926, 2nd in the league in both stats. He played on Tuesday so we’ll probably see Fleury tonight. His last 2 games, against the Yotes and Rangers were solid, he was coming off a stinker against the Slugs. The Wild are 17th in goals per game and 9th in goals against. They’re 14th on the PP and 12th on the kill. Their PP is top heavy with Kaprizov, Zuccarello, Ericksson Ek and Boldy accounting for 29 of their 31 PP goals.

Red jerseys tonight. Bally Sports South for TV.

Tonight’s Officials;

Referees:
Frederick L’Ecuyer #17, Marc Joannette #25

Linesemen:
Brandon Gawryletz #64, Kyle Flemington #55

One of Jeffbear’s favorite in the house tonight. The Canes went 0-4 with Freddie last season and a combined 6-9 in the last 3 seasons. But they went 3-0 with Joan Jett last year and 6-2 in 2019-20. He worked in Canada for the Covid season.

One of the few I'm not going to be there for. Hopefully we get the same result as the other 2 games I couldn't go to.

Frederick L’Ecuyer is terrible, Marc Joannette isn't any better. That combo is cringeworthy for sure.

From the morning skate, Chip says that Patches is with Aho and Jarvis and Turbo is back on the 4th line with KK and Noesen. Staal and Stastny lines intact. Stepan and Coghlan are the extras. Freddie is in the starter’s crease.

One of the few I'm not going to be there for. Hopefully we get the same result as the other 2 games I couldn't go to.

Frederick L’Ecuyer is terrible, Marc Joannette isn't any better. That combo is cringeworthy for sure.
Yeah, I'm out tonight as well. Probably a good thing for my blood pressure with old Freddie 'L'Ecuyer on the whistle.

If you are a believer that the Canes might do something really bold like trade for Bo Horvat, while it's true that Canes can fit a retained Horvat onto the roster, what would be a bigger concern is NEXT season when Horvat's salary goes to $8-9 million per. If Turbo doesn't go out in a trade THIS season, I think his time as a Cane is rapidly coming to an end. He is just way too inconsistent out there.

Love the guy, and certainly love his play when he is 'on', but he's not 'on' enough to justify his salary anymore. He gets paid $5.875 million next season. Turbo has a M-NTC for this season and next, 10 team no-trade list.

If you are a believer that the Canes might do something really bold like trade for Bo Horvat, while it's true that Canes can fit a retained Horvat onto the roster, what would be a bigger concern is NEXT season when Horvat's salary goes to $8-9 million per. If Turbo doesn't go out in a trade THIS season, I think his time as a Cane is rapidly coming to an end. He is just way too inconsistent out there.

Love the guy, and certainly love his play when he is 'on', but he's not 'on' enough to justify his salary anymore.

Love the guy, and certainly love his play when he is 'on', but he's not 'on' enough to justify his salary anymore.
kind of a head scratcher to me. Really has seem to hit the skids this year after earning Rod’s appreciation the last few years.

A lot may depend on if they want to retain MaxP. JordanS will probably sign for less. Raanta won’t be back. I’d love to see Horvat in a Canes jersey.

Look, I like Bo Horvat but the chances of him producing on a consistent basis like he's producing this season are slim. As a rental, he's only moderately expensive and on a career hot streak. So, probably a good choice. As a keeper, he's fraught with danger. I don't think he's the kind of guy you restructure your whole lineup to get, put it that way.

Turbo? Who knows what's going on there? He's traditionally a 2nd half player so it wouldn't shock me at all if he finds his game pretty soon and makes all of this conversation moot. That said, he's looked "off" all year so, I'm not as comfortable betting on that strong second half as I normally would be.

I don't really want the Canes the sell the farm for Horvat and then (over)pay him $8-9 million per.

However, I have a feeling, moreso than ever, that the Canes are not going to be quiet at the deadline this time. Here we are again with a PP that is struggling and what appears to be a gaping hole at 2C. A traded for and signed Horvat would be a solution to both of those issues. He's also a ++faceoff guy.

As always all the pundits are saying the Canes are in on Horvat and several other trade targets. I'm sure the Canes are not keen on trading away Scott Morrow (forget about us trading Alex Nikishin). But I would be surprised if we do nothing this time around. And I don't think it will be something small like acquiring Max Domi.

Last edited:
Honestly, I wouldn't mind overselling a bit for someone like Horvat. *Something* has to be done to shake up this team that seems to be stuck in a trance.

Someday we'll get a list of Refs @jeffbear tolerates... we are getting the list of the ones he doesn't :)
What? You think I'm too negative? About the collection of blind mice and bums the NHL calls professional officials?

For the record, I think the following list deserve to be paid for their efforts. Are. they good? No, but tolerable within the norms of a fairly called game on an average night:
Wes McCauley (pompous, but tolerable), Kelly Sutherland, Kevin Pollock, Chris Rooney (most of the time). Furlatt is OK most of the time too.

Pretty short list isn't it? And I have all confidence that any of those guys are also capable of really, really screwing up a game at the drop of a hat.

What? You think I'm too negative? About the collection of blind mice and bums the NHL calls professional officials?

For the record, I think the following list deserve to be paid for their efforts. Are. they good? No, but tolerable within the norms of a fairly called game on an average night:
Wes McCauley (pompous, but tolerable), Kelly Sutherland, Kevin Pollock, Chris Rooney (most of the time). Furlatt is OK most of the time too.

Pretty short list isn't it? And I have all confidence that any of those guys are also capable of really, really screwing up a game at the drop of a hat.
No.. I think you are right about the collection of blind mice that are slightly more accurate then a stopped clock

To be fair the league is so inconsistent in terms of what they think should be a call vs not a call. Even our Tripp says the refs should have a feel for the game and should make calls or not based on that. BS. If it’s a penalty it should be called. If it’s not it shouldn’t be called. The way it is now the refs are making judgement calls in a best case scenario and then adding in other factors- who has momentum, does it even things up, is it the playoffs, is it the Penguins. How can they be expected to learn.

Note that the above can be true and some of the refs suck over and above what would be expected in this environment.

Back