• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

GDT: Hurricanes vs Avalanche, 11/17, 7PM

jeffbear

Mod Squad
Staff member
The Canes interrupt a perfectly good road trip to host the defending cup champs tonight, since the schedule monkey is clearly crack-addled and has a sick sense of humor to boot. The foe is familiar of course, and not just because of all the TV time they got last spring. Carolina dropped a 4-1 decision in Denver on Saturday, in yet another display of their lack of overall offensive sharpness and shaky special teams. Frankly, we've become accustomed to the former over the last 9 months or so, but the special teams issues are really an issue. 78% on the kill is WELL below Rod Brind'Amour's standards, and the PP is famously chugging along at 16% ... and by chugging I mean struggling like a early 70s VW Bug with a thrown rod. It's moving, but it ain't pretty.

Carolina rebounded from that loss to the Avs with a 3-0 win in Chicago, but they honestly didn't earn the scoreline. Kuchetkov was great in net while Mrazek was awful in the Chicago crease, accounting for the scoreline. Meanwhile Colorado spent the interim period losing at home to a scruffy Blues team to break a 4 game win streak. The Avs, like the Canes sit 3rd in their Division ... so what we have here is two good teams that aren't really hitting on much in the early going.

Also, I can't wait to see what new twists the traffic control goblins at the PNC have in store for us tonight. The Blue Ridge Rd construction seems to have broken their will to live.

Cory Lavalette wrote of the Canes positives and negatives at ES, on the PP and PK at The Athletic today. The Canes have allowed a PP goal in 11 of the 16 games. And all of their PP goals have come from PP1 despite numerous personnel shake-ups on PP2. I think it comes down to not having a solid QB on PP2. At yesterday’s practice, Drury jumped in for a bit and PP2 featured Pesce and Skjei.

It’s Hockey Fights Cancer night at PNC too. The boys will be wearing special jerseys during warmups, coming soon to a Foundation auction near you.

Black jerseys tonight for the main event though.

Something is WAY off on the Canes kill. The forwards aren't getting much done before the opponents gain the zone, and the D pairs look really disorganized when the puck goes low to high. They aren't finding their checks and a lot of the time they aren't posting up on the correct side of guys on rebounds. Some of that is on the goalies too, as rebounds have been more erratic this year. Andersen is more predictable than the other two in that regard, and he never quite settled into a groove before he got hurt. It's just been a mess. I know Rod likes that high pressure kill system, but I do wonder if just settling back into a more conventional zone sponge kind of kill until they get some confidence built up wouldn't be a good idea

Last edited:
According to Cory Lavalette, Raanta is in the starter’s crease, it appears that Coghlan is the extra today.

edit: looks like Drury is on PP2

Last edited:
I know Pyotr played great, but it's the Avs and Raanta has been very good considering how bad the special teams have played in front of him.
We need the top lines to fire like they're the top lines; if Staal's line is leading the offensive charge again tonight we're in trouble.

I know Pyotr played great, but it's the Avs and Raanta has been very good considering how bad the special teams have played in front of him.
Until/unless Raanta gets on a roll, I'd expect Kochetkov and him to pretty much split the load down the middle until Freddie is healthy. You don't want to over-tax either of them ... Raanta because he's made of tissue paper and the kid because he's a kid. Kochetkov has been very good, but in small sample size, and as you mention, I don't think the results have been particularly kind to Raanta.

I’d like to see a game where the Canes score early and often, it’s time for this team to show how good they can be when all four lines are rolling and the special teams units are all doing their job! This is not the same Av’s team that was as deep as the sea last year, go out and show how good you are Canes!

Who has been the most disappointing Canes player this year? Which new acquisition has been most disappointing?
Stastny probably..
Patches would be up there but that's injury..
Coghlan up there as well.

Jarvis TT Kotkaniemi (Latter the most of the older players)

Another night of dominating the shot clock but how many of those saves are as routine as can be. I sure hope Mad Max on the horizon can show some of these guys how you have to finish and light the lamp.

Stastny probably..
Patches would be up there but that's injury..
Coghlan up there as well.

Jarvis TT Kotkaniemi (Latter the most of the older players)
Jarvis for me has been so disappointing so far, sophomore slump but he was counted on for offense. As strange as it sounds, Kase would have helped the forward group, he’s an underrated forward and creates plenty of chances on offense and could have been plugged in anywhere in the lineup on any of those lines. I hope he can find a way back.

Jarvis for me has been so disappointing so far, sophomore slump but he was counted on for offense. As strange as it sounds, Kase would have helped the forward group, he’s an underrated forward and creates plenty of chances on offense and could have been plugged in anywhere in the lineup on any of those lines. I hope he can find a way back.
I'd forgotten about Kase..

We have a lot of shots with nobody in front. Of someone who it tied up in front. They have shots with guys in front not tied up. Pesce with the 4 on 4 shot after dominating possession in the - why. Nobody in front. Nobody screening. Just a hope of beating the goalie clean from the top of the circle.

Back