• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Habs acquire Sean Monahan

A healthy & productive Monahan is better than Suzuki - you extend him, should that scenario manifest

Suzuki - Monahan - Dach (should he start the resurrection path) - Evans would be the deepest 4-line C depth the Habs have had in over 40-years
To risky to bank on him after two hiip surgeries and two herniated spinal discs. I hope he has a great year and we can get a good pick. I favour Suzuki. Monahan is a larger version of Gally.

I wouldn't resign him to big dollars either but this guy is a solid center. Loved him in juniors. He's had a rough go of it and if they finally fixed that hip I think he has a decent year. Really liking the risk short-term.

Monahan is another Gallagher waiting to happen on any contract longer than 2 years.

But if one can get him for two years given uncertainty and flat cap, then do it.

Probably already been discussed somewhere, but barring more trades what do we do with Suzuki-Dvorek-Dach-Evans-Monahan? Someone go to the wing?

For the record, I'd like to keep Jake.

Kent knows injuries and disappointments will happen at other teams training camps and that’s how he’ll get rid of some of these wingers or Dvo

Monahan is far better at faceoffs. He could take them for Dach though who is not good at them.

Can someone explain this cap stuff with 31 on LTIR and our SM acquisition and eventual Dach signing

Right now the team is over the cap

Can they slot both in our cap only if 31 goes on LTIR ?

Or do all 3 have to fit if Hugo finds a way only to dump a contract with no salary coming back

Can we only use 31`s cap savings if we exceed the cap and use his 10.5 to exceed the cap ?

A lot of ifs for down the middle, the only sure one is Suzuki.. the ifs are Dach..Monahan.. to some degree Dvorek who needs to up his game.. I like Jake but he is one hit away from ending his career.. I like the risks we have taken, we just need the stars to align.. I think this team will score goals, it is keeping it out that will hurt us.. i see high scoring games with this group..should be fun to watch .. cheers

I have absolutely no expectations whatsoever for Monahan. Even with modern medicine and technology, people don't simply recover from major hip surgeries.

Who knows, maybe Monahan's the exception to the rule, and good for him if he is. But I wouldn't re-sign him to a new contract, regardless of how good he plays this season.

I have absolutely no expectations whatsoever for Monahan. Even with modern medicine and technology, people don't simply recover from major hip surgeries.

Who knows, maybe Monahan's the exception to the rule, and good for him if he is. But I wouldn't re-sign him to a new contract, regardless of how good he plays this season.
The realistic good scenario for him is to stay healthy and be playing at a 50-60 point pace, enough to get a 2nd or 3rd dependingnon how much salary you retain at rhe deadline.

But even if he gets hurt in camp and doesn't play again, the team still bought a first round pick for a decent price. Anything more that he can provide either in production or trade return is just gravy.

The opposite is actually the reality. Hip surgery is now one of the more likely procedures to fully recover from if you rehab. properly, which Monahan is likely to do. Whether he should be signed long-term is to TBD. But if he plays well, I'd have no issue giving him a long-terrm deal. He's not old.

Last edited:
The opposite is actually the reality. Hip surgery is now one of the more likely procedures to fully recover from if you rehab. properly, which Monahan is likely to do. Whether he should be signed long-term is to TBD. But if he plays well, I'd have no issue giving him a long-terrm deal. He's not old.
There are studies based on nhl players and length of career post surgery. This is based on one hip being done. It doesn’t state level of performance. I would certainly hesitate on long term deal. The fact he has had both hips done and has a history of playing through injury is a concerning factor.

Conclusion:​

Professional NHL players who underwent hip arthroscopy for FAI were able to continue playing for an average of 5.9 years after surgery, with 67% playing a minimum of 5 years postoperatively. Younger age and shorter duration of symptoms at time of surgery correlated with greater length of career and years played after hip arthroscopy. Players who did not play a minimum of 5 years postoperatively had significantly longer duration of symptoms before surgery. The study data support early arthroscopic treatment of professional hockey players with symptomatic FAI

Expect to be lambasted by G…

Back