• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Habs acquire Sean Monahan

If he’s good and can’t fetch a first rounder then I’d resign him if his demands are reasonable. No point in letting an asset walk for nothing UNLESS you have the money allocated for a very specific purpose . . . like signing Tristan Jarry as a UFA.

80 point monohan... Sure.

60 point monohan I would pass on

And I would only keep one of Evans or dovorak

Because we need dach, or Suzuki to take big steps or get bedard

The goal is to win the cup not to make the playoffs

I guess the assumption is that if he’s good enough to get a 1st following bounce back year, then his expectations for term will be misaligned with the age the Habs new core.

He’s worth more to a playoff team next March than he’ll be to us. Hughes will explore that value inefficiency and trade his ass.
Will depend on Monahan's trade value then, his performance up to then, how Dach is playing, and whether we're likely to draft top 5.

80 point monohan... Sure.

60 point monohan I would pass on

And I would only keep one of Evans or dovorak

Because we need dach, or Suzuki to take big steps or get bedard

The goal is to win the cup not to make the playoffs
Evans has more value than Dvorak right now because he's cheap. I posted an article about Dvorak, he'll have to step up and get moved at deadline unless a team gets injuries in camp. No value.

Evans has more value than Dvorak right now because he's cheap. I posted an article about Dvorak, he'll have to step up and get moved at deadline unless a team gets injuries in camp. No value.
There are lots of Dvoraks in the NHL. Okay but not great all-around player.

Dvorak for a first!

There are studies based on nhl players and length of career post surgery. This is based on one hip being done. It doesn’t state level of performance. I would certainly hesitate on long term deal. The fact he has had both hips done and has a history of playing through injury is a concerning factor.

Conclusion:​

Professional NHL players who underwent hip arthroscopy for FAI were able to continue playing for an average of 5.9 years after surgery, with 67% playing a minimum of 5 years postoperatively. Younger age and shorter duration of symptoms at time of surgery correlated with greater length of career and years played after hip arthroscopy. Players who did not play a minimum of 5 years postoperatively had significantly longer duration of symptoms before surgery. The study data support early arthroscopic treatment of professional hockey players with symptomatic FAI
But like you said, the report makes no mention as to the level of play before and after the surgery. It's fine to say that a guy plays another 5.9 years but if he goes from a 70 point player to being a 30 point player bouncing around from team to team as he plays out the string then can we really call it a success? It's like someone in a coma on life support. Technically they aren't dead but they're neither use nor ornament either. The Habs' best case scenario is for Monahan to play well enough to become trade bait by the deadline. Then you get rid of him. But even if there are no takers my option then would be to let him walk at season's end. Under no circumstances do I want him signed long-term like Gallagher. We have enough boat anchor contracts already.

Will depend on Monahan's trade value then, his performance up to then, how Dach is playing, and whether we're likely to draft top 5.
How Dach is playing doesn't enter into the equation. Monahan is too old and too fragile to keep beyond this season. I don't care how well he plays.

Back