• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Habs Season Thread: 2024-25 Regular Season

Going down a rabbit hole, anyway...

Perspective is necessary:

- Stevie Y inherited two elite talents (Hedman & Stamkos) yet in 10-years as GM of TBay missed playoffs 4-times, same as MB.

- Jim Nill in 9-years as GM, has missed playoffs 4-times and made it to final four or greater once (last year)

- Sakic in 8-years as GM has missed playoffs 3-times and has yet to reach final four of playoffs with a packed set of top-3 picks

All of Stevie Y, Nill and Sakic are GMs who operate in markets that are player preferred destinations (for a myriad of reasons).

Not saying MB is blameless and doesn’t have faults(plenty in amateur scouting & development specifically), but suspect the hockey world views MB in a different light than many in the fanbase

Well said....

Other GMs understand how difficult it is to be GM in a market like MTL
Or to bring the Islanders to the semi-finals.

Also I suspect that they have a bias for action. Just drafting well and developing your players is not as sexy as trades and UFAs.

maybe it’s me but I don’t give a GM high marks for assembling a roster good enough to clinch one of the last playoff spots so he can hope “ some magic happens”

Steve Y and Sakic built teams that could contend for several years. That is a GMs goal, IMO

TLDR A GMs performance is best measured in multi yr chunks

maybe it’s me but I don’t give a GM high marks for assembling a roster good enough to clinch one of the last playoff spots so he can hope “ some magic happens”

Steve Y and Sakic built teams that could contend for several years. That is a GMs goal, IMO

TLDR: MB sux

I agree, but it's GM of the year, so I'm sure the voters are influenced by recent actions more than thoughtful planning from 5 years ago that ended up building the current team.

Reactions: CH1
Bergevin totally deserves to be in nomination for the "What have you done since October 2020 Award".

***** Tyler Toffoli
**** Domi / Anderson trade
**** Jake Allen
*** Corey Perry
** Joel Edmunson
* Eric Staal

Pretty close to Zito's acquistions of Hornqvist, Verhaeghe, Duclair, Bennett, Wennberg, & Gudas.

Going down a rabbit hole, anyway...

Perspective is necessary:

- Stevie Y inherited two elite talents (Hedman & Stamkos) yet in 10-years as GM of TBay missed playoffs 4-times, same as MB.

- Jim Nill in 9-years as GM, has missed playoffs 4-times and made it to final four or greater once (last year)

- Sakic in 8-years as GM has missed playoffs 3-times and has yet to reach final four of playoffs with a packed set of top-3 picks

All of Stevie Y, Nill and Sakic are GMs who operate in markets that are player preferred destinations (for a myriad of reasons).

Not saying MB is blameless and doesn’t have faults(plenty in amateur scouting & development specifically), but suspect the hockey world views MB in a different light than many in the fanbase

Nonsense , Covid saved his ass and any viewpoint that others may have of him

It would of been 4 straight missed playoffs

9 years , time is up .

Bergevin totally deserves to be in nomination for the "What have you done since October 2020 Award".

***** Tyler Toffoli
**** Domi / Anderson trade
**** Jake Allen
*** Corey Perry
** Joel Edmunson
* Eric Staal

Pretty close to Zito's acquistions of Hornqvist, Verhaeghe, Duclair, Bennett, Wennberg, & Gudas.
Not sure about Domi's trade(signing Anderson to that contract), but yeah for the rest so far so good.

Back