• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Habs Season Thread: 2024-25 Regular Season

Saw this idea on the Leafs' board so wanted to take a look at our first two games just to see how ugly it really was.

Yeahhh it was U-G-L-Y.

xGF% through first two games:

Toffoli 43.5% -- Suzuki 42.91% -- Caufield 37.63%
Drouin 44.8% -- Dvorak 41.7% -- Anderson 37.9%
Armia 22.5% -- Evans 22.2% -- Gallagher 28.9%
Perreault 32.3% -- Paquette 43.5% -- Lehkonen 39.8%

Kulak 33.9% -- Petry 41.9%
Chiarot 38.9% -- Savard 47.2%
Romanov 15.1% -- Wideman 29.6%

Damn. Can we send Romanov to Laval? He is lost.
Shrug.

If there's anything this organization has been great at in the last 20 years, it's not developing prospects. Not only that, this management group that never says anything about anything, was hyping him up like the next big thing.

Unfathomable.

Meanwhile, watch as some start to turn on Caufield. Don't take my word for it, it's already started. If Caufield isn't in the offensive zone or rushing up the ice, he's bambi on ice. Doesn't know what to do.

Kulak sucks donkey dong, he was putrid last night regardless of the analytics - a classic tweener, just isn’t good at any one thing

Damn. Can we send Romanov to Laval? He is lost.
I signed on to post something about Romanov but I see you guys have beaten me to the topic.

I was thinking back to the first few games of last season, when he looked to me to be potentially , with reservations, the second coming of Guy Lapointe. I remarked at the time that I had not seen passing ability liked that displayed by Romanov in those games for many years on our blueline. He was generally showing overall uncanny creative ability as well.

Not to say no work was needed, but this was not the kind of talent that you mess with. How did we do this, why do we now have this mess on our hands? Because this is nowhere near the same guy, and I'm not sure we will see that guy again. I am hoping, with Ducharme, retrieval is possible for Romanov.

I signed on to post something about Romanov but I see you guys have beaten me to the topic.

I was thinking back to the first few games of last season, when he looked to me to be potentially , with reservations, the second coming of Guy Lapointe. I remarked at the time that I had not seen passing ability liked that displayed by Romanov in those games for many years on our blueline. He was generally showing overall uncanny creative ability as well.

Not to say no work was needed, but this was not the kind of talent that you mess with. How did we do this, why do we now have this mess on our hands? Because this is nowhere near the same guy, and I'm not sure we will see that guy again. I am hoping, with Ducharme, retrieval is possible for Romanov.
He looked so good when he started with us, then he progressively started to get worse and worse to the point that he's clueless now. What is our coaching staff doing?

Shrug.

If there's anything this organization has been great at in the last 20 years, it's not developing prospects. Not only that, this management group that never says anything about anything, was hyping him up like the next big thing.

Unfathomable.

Meanwhile, watch as some start to turn on Caufield. Don't take my word for it, it's already started. If Caufield isn't in the offensive zone or rushing up the ice, he's bambi on ice. Doesn't know what to do.
They get to the team looking great and then they get ruined by the coaching staff. I'm generally on the side that drafting isn't our main issue (not to fully absolve Timmins either). Something stinks in the org about developing talented prospects in the pros, whether its NHL or AHL.

Shrug.

Unfathomable.

for CC this isnt the NCAA where he had an extra second to shoot or think

This league is about high end elite players that can thread the needle and create plays on their own Secondly, relentless hard working players that show no fear crashing the net or checking the opposition to a standstill. The in-betweeners have no place in the NHL. We have too many in-between guys.

They better not be putting Wideman ahead of Romanov, even on the PP.

Live with Romy’s mistakes, take this whole year if you need to….

Back