• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Habs Season Thread: 2024-25 Regular Season

I thought at some point years ago he quit. Didn't take I guess, if he still smoked recently. If you still smoke heavily into later life it seems, its just a matter of when, not if, it kills you.

Some luck out

My grandfather smoked well into his 90’s

I thought at some point years ago he quit. Didn't take I guess, if he still smoked recently. If you still smoke heavily into later life it seems, its just a matter of when, not if, it kills you.
My dad passed away last month and his last scan taken about a month before that showed (among many other things) spots on his lungs. He was a smoker for only about 10-12 years, from his early 20's to his early to mid-30's and he quit over 50 years ago. But for the decade he smoked he was, shall we say, dedicated. Probably 2 packs a day. And even 5 decades later the effects could still be seen on his lungs. Guy's are probably black.

My dad passed away last month and his last scan taken about a month before that showed (among many other things) spots on his lungs. He was a smoker for only about 10-12 years, from his early 20's to his early to mid-30's and he quit over 50 years ago. But for the decade he smoked he was, shall we say, dedicated. Probably 2 packs a day. And even 5 decades later the effects could still be seen on his lungs. Guy's are probably black.

My condolences

My condolences as well. I lost my Dad 4 years ago, at age 90. Regardless of his age and though I had basically left my home town at 17, I found it tough as hell. At certain times of day, when the phone rings, I'm half expecting it to be him.

When I was growing up in the 60s, , a non-smoking adult was a bit of an oddity. Like your Dad,, mine was at least a two pack a day man and often had more than one going at the same time because he had forgotten he had lit one and left it burning in another ash tray. He was close to 70 when he quit, and while it didn't kill him directly, no doubt contributed to his reduced breathing capacity in later years.

My condolences as well. I lost my Dad 4 years ago, at age 90. Regardless of his age and though I had basically left my home town at 17, I found it tough as hell. At certain times of day, when the phone rings, I'm half expecting it to be him.

When I was growing up in the 60s, , a non-smoking adult was a bit of an oddity. Like your Dad,, mine was at least a two pack a day man and often had more than one going at the same time because he had forgotten he had lit one and left it burning in another ash tray. He was close to 70 when he quit, and while it didn't kill him directly, no doubt contributed to his reduced breathing capacity in later years.
As it happened my dad died of bile duct cancer but the reality is that he died of starvation. Because his bile duct wasn't working, he was unable to digest food so he was unable to eat or drink for weeks. He became jaundiced and then dehydrated while he slowly starved and his body shut down. It was hard to watch (he died at home) and there was really no way to make him comfortable despite the morphine we injected him with. The last three days we just wet his lips with a sponge, cleaned him up after he urinated or defecated and rolled him over whenever the blood pooled on the side he was laying on. It gave us all PTSD to be honest.

And the day I flew back to Edmonton on Good Friday, I was sitting by the gate and this guy came up to me to ask what time the flight was leaving. Then he asked me if I was a hockey fan. When I said yes he showed me his hands which had a Cup ring on each ring finger. I looked up and he pulled down his mask. It was Bernie Parent, Hall of Fame goalie for the Flyers when they won their 2 Cups back in the 70's. He was on his way to Edmonton for some card show and autograph session. First thing that popped into my head was "Wow. I should call my dad and tell him who I just met." Then it hit me. I can't call him anymore.

As it happened my dad died of bile duct cancer but the reality is that he died of starvation. Because his bile duct wasn't working, he was unable to digest food so he was unable to eat or drink for weeks. He became jaundiced and then dehydrated while he slowly starved and his body shut down. It was hard to watch (he died at home) and there was really no way to make him comfortable despite the morphine we injected him with. The last three days we just wet his lips with a sponge, cleaned him up after he urinated or defecated and rolled him over whenever the blood pooled on the side he was laying on. It gave us all PTSD to be honest.

And the day I flew back to Edmonton on Good Friday, I was sitting by the gate and this guy came up to me to ask what time the flight was leaving. Then he asked me if I was a hockey fan. When I said yes he showed me his hands which had a Cup ring on each ring finger. I looked up and he pulled down his mask. It was Bernie Parent, Hall of Fame goalie for the Flyers when they won their 2 Cups back in the 70's. He was on his way to Edmonton for some card show and autograph session. First thing that popped into my head was "Wow. I should call my dad and tell him who I just met." Then it hit me. I can't call him anymore.
Yeah....I wish we could leave the world on our terms. I figure I'd like to be fully healthy at the time, faculties intact, and with about 10 minutes notice rather than dying in my sleep. Guess it doesn't work that way. And there's my mother, currently in a home. When I call she has only a rough idea of who I am, says my late Dad is "doing fine" and that she bought a car so she can go visit her mother (her mother dead since the 1960s, of course). But as she's relatively content and ok physically, at least we can find some humour in all that.

I can really relate to your last bit regarding meeting Parent and it hitting you about not being able to call. Give yourself time man, take care.

I dunno, but when I saw he was going to see the doctor who operated on his knee after 9 months of recover & rehab, I can't help but wonder if he's played his last game.

If that's the case, he won't retire. He'll just be put on LTIR like Weber until his contract runs out.

Back