• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Habs Season Thread: 2024-25 Regular Season

Yup. Over a decade ago, when Alexandre Giroux and Keith Aucoin were running shit with the Hershey Bears, they were making $500k to play in the AHL as the two best players in the league.

Not a bad gig if you ask me.

Yup. Over a decade ago, when Alexandre Giroux and Keith Aucoin were running shit with the Hershey Bears, they were making $500k to play in the AHL as the two best players in the league.

Not a bad gig if you ask me.

Is there a salary cap in the AHL

A good vet can carve out a decent living in the AHL
And they rarely (if ever) have to ride the buses anymore since the league covers the entire continent now. At worst they fly commercial and stay at the Holiday Inn instead of a private charter and a room at the Four Seasons.

Yep, Robidas Island is a real place. It's called the AHL.
Nope. Robidas never played in the AHL when he was with Toronto.

Robidas Island is when you send a player, and especially his bad contract, on the LTIR despite not being injured and then never hearing from him ever again.

(Cue Leafs fans to tell me, Well no actually he got injured somewhere in the preseason despite there being no video evidence.)

Nope. Robidas never played in the AHL when he was with Toronto.

Robidas Island is when you send a player, and especially his bad contract, on the LTIR despite not being injured and then never hearing from him ever again.

(Cue Leafs fans to tell me, Well no actually he got injured somewhere in the preseason despite there being no video evidence.)

Or the famous skin rash

I'm assuming that trading Petry will require us to take salary back in return, not that it's a problem in our current situation.

Contending teams probably wouldn't be interested in Petry at full price, so it'd probably be a rebuilding team that is looking for useful vets. Detroit might fit the bill.

Another two teams that might fit the bill: Philthydelphia and Ottawa.

For Philly: A trade built around Petry for JVR to make the salaries work. Use JVR hard for a year, trade him at the deadline with salary retention.
For Ottawa: A trade built around Petry for Hamonic to make the salaries work. I do think that a pairing for Chabot - Petry is legitimately very good, assuming Petry returns to form.
For Detroit: While Detroit doesn't have cap issues, they're going to need to sign some players & give Larkin a raise. Maybe something built around Alex Nedeljkovic

If Pittsburgh can't re-sign Letang, that might be a logical landing spot for them.

If I had to bet money for his most likely landing spot? I think it's Philly. Fletcher needs to win and win soon, or he's going be short a head.

If we retain salary and take on a bad contract we better get legit value. Doubt Hughes would do any of those trades without a solid kicker.

I wouldn't mind holding onto some of Petry's contract, but this organization doesn't seem all too keen on doing that.

Shrug, we'll see.

Get a first rounded. Trade him to Dallas for the 18th pick then package 26, 33 for another 10-15 pick. Grab a Wright and two of Lekkerimaki/Kasper/Kulich/Korchinski/Mintyukov and laugh

I wouldn't mind holding onto some of Petry's contract, but this organization doesn't seem all too keen on doing that.

Shrug, we'll see.
There is no need to retain salary with Petry

Cap flexibility is nice but this is one of the few assets team has to get real value back . I want a good hockey trade in return .

JVR and Hominic types are junk to save a few bucks

Team is going nowhere for years and JD and others are off the books next summer.

Team should try and save some money or retain some cap for Armia or Hoffman , players who have no future value for us

Petry and Anderson where Hughes is getting calls need to be good returns , something to work with in our rebuild

Anderson is perfect for Edmonton with Kane gone

Speculation is Keith and Smith might retire giving them more cap space

Jesse , a first and a filler for the powerhouse

Last edited:
I'm assuming that trading Petry will require us to take salary back in return, not that it's a problem in our current situation.

Contending teams probably wouldn't be interested in Petry at full price, so it'd probably be a rebuilding team that is looking for useful vets. Detroit might fit the bill.

Another two teams that might fit the bill: Philthydelphia and Ottawa.

For Philly: A trade built around Petry for JVR to make the salaries work. Use JVR hard for a year, trade him at the deadline with salary retention.
For Ottawa: A trade built around Petry for Hamonic to make the salaries work. I do think that a pairing for Chabot - Petry is legitimately very good, assuming Petry returns to form.
For Detroit: While Detroit doesn't have cap issues, they're going to need to sign some players & give Larkin a raise. Maybe something built around Alex Nedeljkovic

If Pittsburgh can't re-sign Letang, that might be a logical landing spot for them.

If I had to bet money for his most likely landing spot? I think it's Philly. Fletcher needs to win and win soon, or he's going be short a head.
I expect Philly to push hard towards acquiring Anderson, Torts worshipped the player in Columbus

Back