• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Habs Season Thread: 2024-25 Regular Season

Yeah Dubas's moves are really puzzling to me. Looking at the UFA left and the cap spaces drying up I'd imagine showing patience would have been better. I mean there are good players that will have to take less money and term to get a contract this year. I would have squeezed everything out of that lemon.
Like I said, I think Dubas got hired not because he was all that smart but because he looked like what hockey players like Shanahan think a smart guy is supposed to look like: a dork in thick glasses. But now he's in panic mode, channeling his inner Bergy. I fully expect to see him in the Leafs executive suite on opening night wearing a candy apple red blazer.

Yeah Dubas's moves are really puzzling to me. Looking at the UFA left and the cap spaces drying up I'd imagine showing patience would have been better. I mean there are good players that will have to take less money and term to get a contract this year. I would have squeezed everything out of that lemon.

Dubas had limited money to spend but there is no excuse how they didnt land a Kubalik , White or others or on the cheap

Picked up useless vets ( minus the goaltenders ) at the cost of landing a few better players

Price and Petry are in the same boat: they are both married to blonde American women who aren't down with vaccinating (or who have family members who aren't) and who would like to speak to the manager. Neither situation is tenable for very much longer. Petry needs to be unloaded asap and the only thing keeping Price around is the contract. He has no desire to actually play hockey anymore.
Noooooo…

Klingberg is apparently not budging from $7M / 7-years taking him to 36

Petry is 34 w 3-years remaining @ $6.25M, never had any issues impacting his bread & butter skating / mobility. Looks to me as if Stars don’t want to fork over term for Klingberg, which makes Petry more digestible

IMO, there will be without a doubt significant growing interest in Petry, Dvorak and Drouin over the next few weeks. Someone will want to take a chance on “contract year Drouin” and pont up

HuGo are playing this well, don’t budge, stat patient demand will outpace supply very shortly .. patience will pay off, besides Habs don’t NEED cap space they wouldn’t mind having it

Price and Petry are in the same boat: they are both married to blonde American women who aren't down with vaccinating (or who have family members who aren't) and who would like to speak to the manager. Neither situation is tenable for very much longer. Petry needs to be unloaded asap and the only thing keeping Price around is the contract. He has no desire to actually play hockey anymore.
It'll get done

Noooooo…

Petry is 34 w 3-years remaining @ $6.25M, never had any issues impacting his bread & butter skating / mobility. Looks to me as if Stars don’t want to fork over term for Klingberg, which makes Petry more digestible

IMO, there will be without a doubt significant growing interest in Petry, Dvorak and Drouin over the next few weeks. Someone will want to take a chance on “contract year Drouin” and pont up

HuGo are playing this well, don’t budge, stat patient demand will outpace supply very shortly .. patience will pay off, besides Habs don’t NEED cap space they wouldn’t mind having it
HuGo will wait for deadline if they have to, I would. Wait for season to start and see which teams get the injuries. Happens every year. Hold the chips for now.

Noooooo…

Hugo needs to be a tad more flexible with his no cap retention speech

If eating a few mil lands you Suzuki type return , pull the fucken trigger

He is our top trading chip , dont waste a great return waiting for more that may never come

I would have loved pacioretty back with a good D prospect for free. I mean WTF?

If only to flip him again for more assets and keep the prospect.

Noooooo…

So what you're basically saying is that Petry makes us a better team. Ergo, he needs to be shipped out of town asap.

#tank

Hugo needs to be a tad more flexible with his no cap retention speech

If eating a few mil lands you Suzuki type return , pull the fucken trigger

He is our top trading chip , dont waste a great return waiting for more that may never come
I don't think those deals are there yet. Right now teams are looking for free players in exchange of cap space (see Carolina). Once Klingberg and most UFAs are settled, actual trades will be back on the table. I think the next windows is before the start of the season.

I don't think those deals are there yet. Right now teams are looking for free players in exchange of cap space (see Carolina). Once Klingberg and most UFAs are settled, actual trades will be back on the table. I think the next windows is before the start of the season.
Yes. The reason some players haven't signed yet that probably should have is that they're waiting for teams to clear cap space.

But. He's easily worth the Chiarot package we got at deadline so you don't just dump him.

You tell Jeff to play his ass off this year so that moving him is far easier.

we'll see...Chiarot was an expiring contract....Petry has too much term left at over 6M

Habs could get a bigly return for Petry if and only if the counterparty misjudges value of return (e.g. Glass v Suzuki.)

Anyway, costs for dumping salary a very high before the UFA window opens; I would be more inclined to move him when that is less top if mind and other teams are desperate for help (trade deadline.)

Not sure I subscribe to that. I believe that if he was healthy, he'd be focused on playing. The desire is there, the body just won't follow though.

It's not like Price is 40 years old and just trying to hold on to past glories like Joe Thornton, his body's just given up on him unfortunately.

Exactly , gonzo sometime before the season starts

Back