• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Habs Season Thread: 2024-25 Regular Season

I thought you were joking :unsure:
I absolutely don't see the case for retiring his Montreal Canadiens jersey, which is a much higher bar than the HOF.

Do you see any retired jersey without a Cup up there?

The article writer doesn't think so either.

Last edited:
I wouldn’t retire it either. Not if he comes back and wins a cup? Maybe. Still not certain.
If he wins a Cup, for sure he gets his jersey retired.....because he holds most Habs records for goaltending

If he doesn't win a Cup: NO

But i could see a future owner of the club retiring his jersey for marketing/promotional value....in 20 years, if Habs still haven't won another Cup, then yes the standards/criterias will be different.

It's tough winning Cups in a 32 team league.

Ohhh and one last thing: Kopitar (free post)

Price will end up in the HHOF, but won't have his jersey retired. Also, I've maybe become a curmudgeon, but I don't think we need to constantly retire jerseys. I think there should be maybe five numbers that are retired forever, but no more than that.

Price will end up in the HHOF, but won't have his jersey retired. Also, I've maybe become a curmudgeon, but I don't think we need to constantly retire jerseys. I think there should be maybe five numbers that are retired forever, but no more than that.

Agreed…now the fun begins…pick the 5

Rocket
Beliveau
Morenz
Lafleur
Plante

No offense to the others….but if you could only pick 5, these are my choices.

Harvey would be my #6….

Rocket
Beliveau
Morenz
Lafleur
Plante

Harvey would be my #6….
I would probably have it that way. I'd be of the opinion of having it at 3: Richard, Beliveau and Morenz. If you had to push for a fourth one, then Lafleur.

Rocket
Beliveau
Morenz
Lafleur
Plante

Harvey would be my #6….
Toe Blake had an incredible impact on the Habs, first as a player then coach. If you're talking top 5? He's there on my list. 9, 4, 10.

Henri Richard gets the last spot. 11 cup rings will never be beat.

I don’t like having a limit given the glorious past of this franchise with so many legends. That being said my list would be Richard, Beliveau, Morenz, Harvey, Plante, Lafleur, Durnan, Robinson.

I'm much more of a believer in having the numbers retired for peak, historical figures that mean more to the organization than just hockey. People who had an impact both athletically and socially.

I am, however, a big believer in a sort of Ring of Honor type of tier. Something where you can honor every captain in the history of the team, every award winner, make a resumé of the really noticeable players here. For example, you can't tell the story of the Montreal Canadiens without Saku Koivu or Carey Price, but neither one of them deserves to have their numbers retired.

Apart from the 1953–1979 players, who account for 16 Stanley Cups, I would only consider retiring numbers for Morenz and maybe Roy.

For the 53-79 group I would say: 1, 2, 4, 9, 10 & 19. Maybe 29. That’s it.

Back