• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Habs Season Thread: 2024-25 Regular Season

They aren't intending on winning with those players. The mental gymnastics you put yourself through man...

You win with a core that is drafted and developed and that takes time

Hugo can tinker with the other puzzle pieces at some point

You win with a core that is drafted and developed and that takes time

Hugo can tinker with the other puzzle pieces at some point
You have no idea what you win with so just stop. 7 drafted players in the lineup so far.

I’m with Habsy. Assuming we get a top 7 pick next year, I can see Hughes changing course:

Start trading accumulated picks for established players, start signing established UFAs

Hughes won’t tank forever

Last edited:
I don't see us tanking in 2 years, but we're not going to be challenging yet either, but it's part of the process. Teams don't go from last overall to Cup challenger in one year.

I’m with Habsy. Assuming we get a top 7 pick next year, I can see Hughes changing course:

Start trading accumulated picks for established players, start signing established UFAs

Hughes won’t tank forever

Nice idea if you have a semi established framework to work with

If you are moving some draft/prospect capital for 22-24 year olds under control , thats fine

I dont see Hugo touching established UFA`s until team is ready to start competing

Why bother when all your doing is overpaying vets and the Habs are not a destination for the very few valuable players that might be available

Habs are one of the worst teams in the league , turnaround will take time.

We’ll have competition with Chicago and Phoenix at the bottom but I don’t see any other teams deliberately tanking.

A top 5 pick this year, coupled with more assets in trades and tons of cap space all of a sudden starting to open up and we’ve got something cooking

Those two teams are a whole different level bad than us. Our forward group is at least decent.
Yeah I just don't see them finishing lower than third last barring excessive injuries. This team is going to score some goals, let in more.

Chicago and AZ are deliberately bad.

Question regarding offer sheets

Do the first rounders have to be your teams or can you use your already acquired ones via trades

Even if we don't end up with a top 3 pick. If we get a top 5 and another mid 1st, that will be good as well. But, if we want this to be a short tank, we need to swing for the fences if this is our last 'tanking' year. Even unloading Anderson for a prospect and then seeing if Monahan can get a second at the deadline.

Back