• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Habs Season Thread: 2024-25 Regular Season

WTF is a Director of Goaltending vs goalie coach?

Wonder if MBs sending a message Price’s way...or did Dom Dom want him out?
Dom angle perhaps. Never thought of that but with it being Burke (wasn't he part of team Canada with Price) it sounds more MB and Price related.

Bergevin replaced Waite with Sean Burke, who was already a pro scout and goaltending consultant with the Canadiens, but now becomes the team’s first director of goaltending. In the long term, that likely means more of a management-type role for Burke overseeing a number of coaches and consultants like the Florida Panthers recently set up under Roberto Luongo. But for right now, Burke will be taking over from Waite once he completes his 14-day quarantine after flying to Montreal from his home base in Arizona.
https://theathletic.com/2424005/202...ch-stephane-waite/?source=user_shared_article

Not a fan of waite at all but it is funny this organisation is doing everyyyy thing to accomodate 31, this remind me of an engineer who is doing his routine fishbone diagram knowing the cause but get deflected and concentrating on other elements of diagram.

It's in The Charlatan's best interest for Price to get back to a high level of play.

He bet his whole career on him. Changing goalie coaches isn't a big deal in the larger scheme of things.

Is Burke any better? Highly doubt...
From The Athletic article I posted above:

Ilya Bryzgalov was 30 when Burke was hired as the goaltending coach in Arizona in 2010-11 and put up the best save percentage of his career at .921, allowing him to sign a nine-year free-agent contract with the Philadelphia Flyers worth nearly $42 million. Bryzgalov was never the same goalie again.

The following season, Mike Smith arrived in Arizona at age 29 and put up the best season of his career with a .930 save percentage. Devan Dubnyk showed up in the desert at age 28 in 2014-15 and resurrected his career. But most importantly, there is Burke himself, who was floundering through his 30s before finding something at age 34, putting up the best save percentage of his career at .922 playing for the Coyotes.

Back