• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Habs year 2021

xposbrad

In general, I am a negative person, because aside from my late father, most people and teams have let me down. Expos and Habs for 20+ years. Going into the season, I wasn't expecting much but after a couple of weeks I thought maybe MB struck gold with Toffoli/Anderson and Suzuki was going to be a 30-40G scorer. As the year went on, you could see this was still the same team (albeit slightly better and we finally had decent prospects who were developing).

So, I was wrong on us getting this far, and if this is the last game of the year, well it was a damn fun year. I bought a screen and projector, and have been showing the games in my backyard. We got a taste of what it's like to go deep in the playoffs, and it sucks we are down 3-0 and have a 1% chance of still winning.

But thank you Habs for the fun year so far. PLEASE PLEASE dump vets, rebuild, so in 3-5 years we can get back here but be a favorite to win. Amen. Also, I discovered Jack Daniels Apple, WOW.

View attachment 20210705_092835_499865869566908.mp4

I prefer to think that I'm a realistic person. It's not my fault that reality make me appear negative. Reality isn't positive or negative. It just doesn't care what we think about it. It remains true even if we don't like it.

The reality of the Habs is that the Cup drought hasn't gone 28 years for no good reason. It predates Bergevin although he has done nothing to stop the downward spiral. This Cup run was fun, but a complete illusion. We are not better than we were a year ago. We just took advantage of some extraordinary circumstances which will not exist next season. All the issues which existed before still exist and as long as Bergevin remains the GM we are not going anywhere fast.

Negative? Perhaps. Reality? Definitely.

Nah,. you are negative. We were 2-2 in the Vegas series and you had us out. You always seem happier on FB when we lose so you can stick it to "pom pom wavers" rather than be wrong and have us win.

Nah,. you are negative. We were 2-2 in the Vegas series and you had us out. You always seem happier on FB when we lose so you can stick it to "pom pom wavers" rather than be wrong and have us win.
I'm happy to be wrong but no one in their right mind would ever predict them to win because they simply shouldn't win. The margin of error with a team like this is razor thin. Miracles happen occasionally but I don't make a habit of trying to predict them because under normal circumstances they shouldn't and don't happen.

And yeah, I still have them out because being down 3-1 to Tampa is not the same as being down 3-1 to the Leafs. Tampa isn't going to implode on cue for us. They only lost last night because they could afford to. It's the luxury of being defending champions, having a huge series lead and knowing that you've got this. Even so, it took absolutely everything the Habs had, plus 3 goalposts, just to eke out an overtime win. Tampa, by contrast, has barely had to break a sweat in any of the games they've won. The Islanders gave them more trouble than the Habs have.

If you want to delude yourself into thinking that this playoff run is anything other than a complete one off fluke, fill your boots. But you know as well as I do that this 2 month run is an outlier. The reality of this team is what we saw all season and the season before and the season before. And that reality, in case you've forgotten about it, will be on full display this fall when next season begins. Absolutely nothing that was broken has been fixed.

I'm enjoying this run primarily because I know I'm not going to see anything close to it for many more years. If I actually believed or if there was any proof that this was the beginning of an upward trend I'd enjoy it a lot more. But this isn't that. If anything, it's the end of something, not the beginning. This is all there is.

Last edited:
I'm happy to be wrong but no one in their right mind would ever predict them to win because they simply shouldn't win. The margin of error with a team like this is razor thin. Miracles happen occasionally but I don't make a habit of trying to predict them because under normal circumstances they shouldn't and don't happen.

And yeah, I still have them out because being down 3-1 to Tampa is not the same as being down 3-1 to the Leafs. Tampa isn't going to implode on cue for us. They only lost last night because they could afford to. It's the luxury of being defending champions, having a huge series lead and knowing that you've got this. Even so, it took absolutely everything the Habs had, plus 3 goalposts, just to eke out an overtime win. Tampa, by contrast, has barely had to break a sweat in any of the games they've won. The Islanders gave them more trouble than the Habs have.

If you want to delude yourself into thinking that this playoff run is anything other than a complete one off fluke, fill your boots. But you know as well as I do that this 2 month run is an outlier. The reality of this team is what we saw all season and the season before and the season before. And that reality, in case you've forgotten about it, will be on full display this fall when next season begins. Absolutely nothing that was broken has been fixed.

I'm enjoying this run primarily because I know I'm not going to see anything close to it for many more years. If I actually believed or if there was any proof that this was the beginning of an upward trend I'd enjoy it a lot more. But this isn't that. If anything, it's the end of something, not the beginning. This is all there is.

Good post

We were 24th and 18th in the league and like you said only a pandemic saved us and Nero`s employment

More importantly the narrative in the offseason changes completely in a normal season the last 2 years

Nero gets fired at some point , and we are sellers not buyers and in the lottery

TT would never be a Hab in a normal world

Its about being realistic , next year will be a major challenge

Has a team ever missed the playoffs the following season after the finals ?

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure the Hurricanes and the Devils (once) missed the playoffs after winning the Cup, and the Oilers must have missed them the year after they lost too

People that actively look for problems are negative by nature. This can only be corrected through conscious decision.

Stop looking for problems that have not arisen, especially when your "team" is in the SCF. You're worrying about the team not making the finals in the future while they're in the finals. Mind numbing really.

He's never gonna build a team that gets to the cup let alone win it eh?
Nope. Not unless he gets lucky again. If he were smart (which he clearly isn't) he would quit after this run knowing that he will never top it. It's all downhill from here.

Nope. Not unless he gets lucky again. If he were smart (which he clearly isn't) he would quit after this run knowing that he will never top it. It's all downhill from here.
Tell me how we got lucky getting here? say what you want, but the events that have unfolded shows that our GM is smarter than you.. regards

Tell me how we got lucky getting here? say what you want, but the events that have unfolded shows that our GM is smarter than you.. regards
With far more inside information about where the league is heading.

Back