• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Habs year 2021

Credit where credit is due.. MB vision has come to life 2021 - Playoffs..
Add to it the fact amateur scouting has focused on PMD, MB also targeted DeAngelo to address a multi-year solution, and Chiarot likely gone via expansion draft.

Leads me to believe next years D group will be more aligned w the return to regular division whereas this year’s was focused on heavy D given the Western Components

Add to it the fact amateur scouting has focused on PMD, MB also targeted DeAngelo to address a multi-year solution, and Chiarot likely gone via expansion draft.

Leads me to believe next years D group will be more aligned w the return to regular division whereas this year’s was focused on heavy D given the Western Components
One can hope

We have a 21 year old no. 1 center for the next decade, a perennial 35-40 goal per season scorer, a good second line center in the making, plus Poehling and Evans, and Anderson and Toffoli, and a lot of young D coming soon, to go with Petry, Edmundson and Romanov. So I don’t really get all the pessimism other than it’s mostly coming from the two most pessimistic posters here. The biggest problem facing the Habs in the near term is the strength of the Atlantic Division and the Eastern Conference. The West will be a cakewalk by comparison.

Last edited:
We have a 21 year old no. 1 center for the next decade, a perennial 35-40 goal per season scorer, a good second line center in the making, plus Poehling and Evans, and Anderson and Toffoli, and a lot of young D coming soon, to go with Petry, Edmundson and Romanov. So I don’t really get all the pessimism other than it’s mostly coming from the two most pessimistic posters here. The biggest problem facing the Habs in the near term is the strength of the Atlantic Division and the Eastern Conference. The West will be a cakewalk by comparison.
Kaiden Guhle will be a top pair guy.
Mattias Norlinder will likely be a third pair with second pair possibility.

There are also D coming.

You keep stating "Covid " as the excuse for being here, while this season was not "normal" it sure was HARDER in many areas than a normal season.

Nothing was normal the last 2 years for everyone

24th and 18th spot = no playoffs

I get the legit playoff caliber teams but this a major bullet Nero dodged that saved his job

Congrats to our success

I get the legit playoff caliber teams but this a major bullet Nero dodged that saved his job

Congrats to our success
So I take it TBay’s Cup last year wasn’t legit either since it wasn’t normal?

Congrats to our success
Everyone was aware that the top 4 teams in each division were playoff-bound this year. I don’t think anyone dodged any bullets. Last year, sure, the rules changed mid-stream and we got “lucky.” This year, he acquired 4-5 key pieces. No luck involved in making the playoffs this year. The team underperformed during the regular season, that’s clear.

It was more normal than this year. Half the season took place under normal circumstances. And anyway, they're right back in the final this year so it's looking more and more legit.

Besides, Tampa was in the Cup conversation already, last season and this season. The Habs, to put it mildly, were never in that conversation.

It was more normal than this year. Half the season took place under normal circumstances. And anyway, they're right back in the final this year so it's looking more and more legit.

Besides, Tampa was in the Cup conversation already, last season and this season. The Habs, to put it mildly, were never in that conversation.
Not entirely true. There were a few “experts” who picked the Habs to finish top 2 in the North and make some noise in the playoffs based, primarily, on having a D corps built for the playoffs. I know because I heard them on NHL Network Radio before the season started, and one of them was Pierre McGuire.

Not entirely true. There were a few “experts” who picked the Habs to finish top 2 in the North and make some noise in the playoffs based, primarily, on having a D corps built for the playoffs. I know because I heard them on NHL Network Radio before the season started, and one of them was Pierre McGuire.
Kevin Bieksa only kept saying it on HNIC every week...

TB was making the playoffs and a top contender , how the heck can you compare to a 24th place team that was done like dinner with 10 games to play , cmon ......

Last edited:

The division was much weaker top 4 than any other

This was the shortened year to give it a go and Nero made the right moves

Kudos to our success , but now reality sets in 2021/22

I want to build a team for long term stability not a 2 year science project in a once in a lifetime event that gave us a lifeline

The division was much weaker top 4 than any other

This was the shortened year to give it a go and Nero made the right moves

Kudos to our success , but now reality sets in 2021/22

I want to build a team for long term stability not a 2 year science project in a once in a lifetime event that gave us a lifeline
If it was so weak how did we beat Vegas.. many pundits said that the Avs/Vegas winner was going to win the cup..

I'd like to resign Danault and Perry if they don't get too big a raise. Maybe Armia too.

Let Staal, Tatar, Merrill, Gustafsson all walk,

And hopefully they can just terminate Drouin's contract.

I wanted Danault resigned last year, not Gallagher. But it looks like he shot himself in the foot by not taking that offer. That means, I think, that he may test the FA market. Good fit for a team like Colorado.

Back