• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Hurricanes Off Season Thread 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.
With what history has shown with Dundon and Dandy Don is that they will continue to spend to the cap ceiling and look under every rock for viable options so I don’t believe for a minute those extra cap millions not being spent on Patches will not go to another high profile player…Kadri, Kane or any other decent player that might be available for a team looking to perhaps shed salary. Injuries are a part of the game and no one is going to feel sorry for the Canes but I agree with CMal that disappointment in this case could still fuel opportunity.

Pass on Kadri. I'm going full tilt after Kane. Chicago is going to move him and they're going to eat salary. 1 year left doesn't handcuff Waddell. Max isn't coming back anytime soon. And they still may find a way to dump Gardner somewhere.

Yeah. Kadri just doesn't seem likely to me. 1st, he's a center and they apparently aren't looking for that. 2nd, he's certainly got multiple long term offers on the table already, and it doesn't seem like Carolina's normal MO to do that with an older guy. If I had to guess, the list of possibilities features wingers on the last year of deals and guys who have expressed that they want out of their current situation ... you know ... long term rentals, cut priced contracts with retained salary, scratch and dent risks, otherwise damaged goods, reclamation projects ... the usual. Thank goodness Evander Kane is off the market.

Supposedly, Kadri's handshake deal with the Isles is worth $9 million AAV. Carolina definitely isn't doing that for more than a couple of years, which would take them out of the running you'd think.

Tarasenko still wants out? Who else is over the cap with a winger who can score goals to spare? Would this Patches unfortunate turn of events have the Canes taking a cheap flyer on Phil Kessel? They are going to need to find someone that can score goals that they had penciled Max into scoring…those certainly do not grow on trees.

Kessel? Umm. No.

Tarasenko? St Louis offered him up at least once this summer so I think he'd be in play for the right package.

Who else? Who knows? There are plenty of guys with contracts coming up next season and plenty of teams with cap bloat. That's why you have a scouting department.

Dandy Don was just on 99.9 with Gold, mentioned that Gardiner will not be bought out and will be at training camp. Said they are confident that Patches will be at that six months recovery timeframe but teams have been calling already to talk trade…so it sounds like we finally had that Gardiner buyout question answered!

Patrick Kane would be the simplest plug and play if Chicago is willing to eat 50% of his cap and Kane is willing to move.

The problem is the acquisition cost. Chicago is going to get a 1st round pick + + for Kane from someone. Its one thing to get Pacioretty for free, its another thing to trade assets for one season of Patrick Kane.

6 months from now is early February. If that really holds, than the Canes cannot really go out and use up all of Pacioretty's LTIR opportunity as they would need to slide back under the cap when he returns. So maybe we don't really do anything and evaluate how things go after the season starts. That might be good enough, but we need Svech, Necas and KK to produce, big time.

Last edited:
Patrick Kane would be the simplest plug and play if Chicago is willing to eat 50% of his cap and Kane is willing to move.

The problem is the acquisition cost. Chicago is going to get a 1st round pick + + for Kane from someone. Its one thing to get Pacioretty for free, its another thing to trade assets for one season of Patrick Kane.

6 months from now is early February. If that really holds, than the Canes cannot really go out and use up all of Pacioretty's LTIR opportunity as they would need to slide back under the cap when he returns. So maybe we don't really do anything and evaluate how things go after the season starts. That might be good enough, but we need Svech, Necas and KK to produce, big time.
The more I think about it, the more I'm OK with going into the season without Patches and without a replacement. He's a vet and will plug and play when he's ready. Dude knows the drill and his job is pretty simple ... shoot and score, don't get in the way otherwise. But his absence will put the right kind of pressure on the right kinds of guys to step up and be actual, earn your keep on a good team professionals. I'm looking Kotkaniemi and Necas square in the eyes when I type that. The first line is the first line. Aho and whoever you put with him are gonna be fine. That second scoring line was fixing to be a cake job for Kotkaniemi because he was more than likely going to be ringing up points watching Pacioretti's shots go in the net. With Necas likely to step onto that line next to him, they get to show the team what they actually have when they have to drive play on their own. Or have to ... take your pick. Because if those two aren't worth their collective $7.8 million then this team's not going anywhere that matters anyway.

Maybe Carolina keeps that powder dry and then uses the LTIR money in season ... but only if they dead flat have to do so.

Dandy Don was just on 99.9 with Gold, mentioned that Gardiner will not be bought out and will be at training camp. Said they are confident that Patches will be at that six months recovery timeframe but teams have been calling already to talk trade…so it sounds like we finally had that Gardiner buyout question answered!
Yeah ... he's been consistent on that front. I've been taking him at his word as people all around me talk about Gardiner being bought out or traded or whatever. Don has addressed publicly it twice now, and in both cases he indicated that the guy is coming to camp and expected to slot back into the big club. So ... let's see how it goes.

So a stepped up KK and Necas is supposed to overcome the subtraction of Nino and Tro AND then enough more to get us over the hump? Ok maybe. If our D is better. I think probably at least good enough to stay in the playoff race and then the LTIR cap space can be used to add at the deadline plus Patches comes back for playoffs.

I don't think there really is going to be much LTIR space used unless the Canes absolutely have to use it to improve the roster because the regular season is going south.

Pacioretty is supposed to be back in February, that pretty much shuts down the Canes taking advantage of LTIR to be way over the cap come playoff time. From all the comments I've read from Waddell, they are not anticipating being able to play that game because it would just cause issues when Pacioretty is back.

If you don't HAVE to use LTIR, you are better off not using it. You don't bank any cap room while using LTIR. The Canes could choose to use Pacioretty's LTIR to effectively push off the cap overage situation they are in now where they were going be sitting around $2 million over the cap. If they go that route eventually they are going to have to make some moves to get back under the cap when Pacioretty returns.

For all we know, Gardiner might end up not being able to play and his $4.05 million also ends up back on LTIR. Hard to say how this all ends up, but seems like the Canes are planning on gutting it out and hoping that Necas, Kase, and KK step up big time. Seems risky to me, but this leadership has gone 4 for 4 despite being questioned about their moves every offseason.

That's more or less taking last year's offense---which was not good enough---and just subtracting Nino and Trochek. And that goes from not good enough to really not good enough.
To be fair, it was more than enough offense during the regular season; it's the playoffs that need a goal scorer.

So a stepped up KK and Necas is supposed to overcome the subtraction of Nino and Tro AND then enough more to get us over the hump? Ok maybe. If our D is better. I think probably at least good enough to stay in the playoff race and then the LTIR cap space can be used to add at the deadline plus Patches comes back for playoffs.
Nobody's saying that gets you over the hump or to the next level or whatever ... the idea would be to survive with that group until you bring in the scoring winger you added to the mix in the off season back. Which looks like February, so right around the All Star Break. If you can stay in the playoff hunt, then that works ... and it doesn't lock up your resources. It's a risk, but so is making a commitment to use Pacioretti's LTIR and play that silly playoff ace game. There are only so many scoring winger options out there, and it's pretty easy to get it wrong and pay way too much in the process. Everything's a risk. The front office gets to figure out which one gives them the best odds.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back