• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Kent Hughes named GM - 5 year deal

The season was lost ages ago and he’s been lost as well. I don’t understand why he’s with the big team.

Even now, with new management, what are they doing? Seems fishy.
Honestly the injury situation has been bad, the team needs bodies, but still,.

I was trying to think what a reset would potentially look like, taking into account our prospect pipeline and the fact that we will keep some veterans around.

At center, we lack that first line center but the base is fairly deep.

C: Suzuki, Dvorak, Evans, Poehling, and whomever we draft 1st in 2022 1st

On the wing it's bare, I don't see them keeping Gallagher unless he absolutely wants to stay but I could see them keeping Anderson and potentially resigning Drouin on a cheaper, short term contract. We'll need wingers to fill the stop and those two can help in the top 6 and are still young. Everyone else is gone IMO. The depth chart would look like:

RW: Anderson, Caufield, Ylonen
LW: Drouin, Mysak, Harvey-Pinard, Farrell, Roy

On defense we have 4 pretty good prospects if they manage to sign Harris but there is a critical lack of veterans to help groom the kids. I could see Savard sticking around for that reason alone, plus the fact that his value is not very high. We would still need another vet.

D: Romanov, Guhle, Harris, Mailloux, Savard

Other wild cards prospects : Norlinder, Struble, Trudeau, Kidney, Simoneau, Fairborther, Biondi

Goalies are really bare. I think Price will control wants he wants to do, whether retire, stay and ask for trade and the team will accommodate. After that it's Primeau and Montambeault. Allen will be traded.

G: Price*, Primeau, Montambeault, Dichow.

Priority is of course making sure we can develop our young players properly, while adding young assets, whether it is picks or prospects, and we especially need high end talent on offense. We need a good vet on defense that 20+ minutes and reduce the spotlights on the kids. We need a Price successor. We need more size and skills on the wings, which is why I can see them keeping Anderson.

Lots of work to do but it's not like there is nothing to work with.

It’s fine if the kids all hit , all of them

The problem is we have squat to work with now to integrate the youth injection

This is 3 years away from maybe having some results

The only players on this current roster that can offer anything moving forward are

Romy, Pezzetta , CC , Anderson , Nick , Dvorak ,Evans and Poehling

Basically a 4D , 2 top 6 ( maybe CC ) and some depth .

The rest are in decline , garbage , or won’t be back like JD , TT and others

That’s why it’s a total gut job involving Price , Gally , and Petry

They have no other choice , dump and rebuild , get some vets in return and some draft or prospect capital

That framework is atrocious , among the league worst .

Like some of us said before it never had to come to this if they simply retooled on the fly and capitalized on dumping vets before their contracts were up , rebuild would of been over .

Last edited:
Almost impossible to know. There's so much that goes into development for a goalie to make it to the NHL.

To me, using a first round pick on a goalie is paramount to using a first round pick on a big dude that has grit but bad offensive stats & hoping he becomes the next Milan Lucic / Tom Wilson. I mean, there is the possibility you hit and get the next Price / Vasilevsky, but those players come once every decade and you're more likely than not going to draft Greg Nemisz, Colton Gilles or Michael MacCarron.

If you have multiple firsts like Detroit , taking a flyer on Cossa is ok but I never liked taking goalies in round 1

Hit and miss and very few have consistent good seasons

It’s fine if the kids all hit , all of them

The problem is we have squat to work with now to integrate the youth injection

This is 3 years away from maybe having some results

The only players on this current roster that can offer anything moving forward are

Romy, Pezzetta , CC , Anderson , Nick , Dvorak ,Evans and Poehling

Basically a 4D , 2 top 6 ( maybe CC ) and some depth .

The rest are in decline , garbage , or won’t be back like JD , TT and others

That’s why it’s a total gut job involving Price , Gally , and Petry

They have no other choice , dump and rebuild , get some vets in return and some draft or prospect capital

That framework is atrocious , among the league worst .

Like some of us said before it never had to come to this if they simply retooled on the fly and capitalized on dumping vets before their contracts were up , rebuild would of been over .

We don't need all to hit but we need most of them. There is very little margin for errors, and even if they all hit, that's still not a contender. However I didn't include any of the return from trades in my assessment as it's too hard to predict but how Gorton and Hughes manages that could make a big difference if we're able to get a couple of good prospects in the process. But yes we would have been in much better situation had we traded Gallagher and Petry just 2 years ago for example.

We don't need all to hit but we need most of them. There is very little margin for errors, and even if they all hit, that's still not a contender. However I didn't include any of the return from trades in my assessment as it's too hard to predict but how Gorton and Hughes manages that could make a big difference if we're able to get a couple of good prospects in the process. But yes we would have been in much better situation had we traded Gallagher and Petry just 2 years ago for example.
Assuming again the picks / prospects return would’ve hit, which has never been a high probability w this org going back 40-years

Incredible how Nero left the team in a shit show

Assuming again the picks / prospects return would’ve hit, which has never been a high probability w this org going back 40-years

There is no way the team would be in this mess , regardless of our draft record ......impossible

Petry , Gally , Price , PK would of all netted a Suzuki haul

Incoming prospects wouldnt be our fuk up at the draft table

Sprinkle in a few years of suckage and we are on third base of our rebuild

We would have a solid mix of 21-24 kids in the funnel

Ducharme needs to go ASAP.
Do you think a different coach would get different results? With this revolving door of crapulence? As I've said before, Scotty Bowman on his best day couldn't coach these pigs to get dirty. This is so not a coaching issue. I'm not a Ducharme fan necessarily, but nothing he does or doesn't do is going to change the math. He has literally nothing to work with. He can't even keep the same 20 bodies healthy for more than a game or two at a stretch.

Personally I'm fine with keeping him for another season so we can zero in on Bedard.

It does look like Dom needs to go, but I get a chuckle at people mentioning promoting Luke Richardson to head coach (LeBrun mentioned it last night on the TSN broadcast...)

He runs the D and our defensive zone coverage is just about the worst I've ever seen. No one has any idea where to be.

If Dom goes, they all need to go.

It does look like Dom needs to go, but I get a chuckle at people mentioning promoting Luke Richardson to head coach (LeBrun mentioned it last night on the TSN broadcast...)

He runs the D and our defensive zone coverage is just about the worst I've ever seen. No one has any idea where to be.

At this point just keep both so that we are assured a top 3 pick (and hopefully don’t screw it up for a change). It’s only 3 more months. We can survive it. We’re tough folk here.

Do you think a different coach would get different results? With this revolving door of crapulence? As I've said before, Scotty Bowman on his best day couldn't coach these pigs to get dirty. This is so not a coaching issue. I'm not a Ducharme fan necessarily, but nothing he does or doesn't do is going to change the math. He has literally nothing to work with. He can't even keep the same 20 bodies healthy for more than a game or two at a stretch.

Personally I'm fine with keeping him for another season so we can zero in on Bedard.
Yes, a better coach would not be getting crushed EVERY game. The players have quit on him, it’s obvious. He can’t be the coach next season, you can’t allow this to continue for another 120 games. They’ll still be bad next season but without the nightly embarrassments.

This is about protecting the players who we will keep.

So, Nick Suzuki I guess.

Firing Ducharme is not about this season, it’s about getting rid of a toxin that could persist for several years.

Yes, a better coach would not be getting crushed EVERY game. The players have quit on him, it’s obvious. He can’t be the coach next season, you can’t allow this to continue for another 120 games. They’ll still be bad next season but without the nightly embarrassments.
Getting crushed is what this team needs. If they're only losing by a goal every game it makes it too easy for the apologists and quick-fix proponents to advocate for a reset rather than a proper tear-down and rebuild. Games like last night's drive home the point that half measures ain't gonna work. Molson needs to have his nose rubbed in the shit before he will admit that there's no quick fix at his disposal. Hiring Patrick Roy and squeaking into the playoffs is no longer an option, not when a team as bad as the Devils is blowing you out by 5 goals in your own barn.

I'd sooner give Ducharme a 5 year extension than try to put an end to this self-immolation. We need this tire fire to keep burning until Molson finally learns his lesson about the taking of shortcuts.

Getting crushed is what this team needs. If they're only losing by a goal every game it makes it too easy for the apologists and quick-fix proponents to advocate for a reset rather than a proper tear-down and rebuild. Games like last night's drive home the point that half measures ain't gonna work. Molson needs to have his nose rubbed in the shit before he will admit that there's no quick fix at his disposal. Hiring Patrick Roy and squeaking into the playoffs is no longer an option, not when a team as bad as the Devils is blowing you out by 5 goals in your own barn.

I'd sooner give Ducharme a 5 year extension than try to put an end to this self-immolation. We need this tire fire to keep burning until Molson finally learns his lesson about the taking of shortcuts.
I think that Gorton and Hughes realize all that . . . which is why they will fire Ducharme soon.

Although it is Ducharme system, Richardson doesn't get to implement his own system in the defensive zone. And it seems like the biggest issue is assignments between forwards and defense, that's where it breaks down most of the time.

Although it is Ducharme system, Richardson doesn't get to implement his own system in the defensive zone. And it seems like the biggest issue is assignments between forwards and defense, that's where it breaks down most of the time.

You need more than a beer league roster to implement a system

Bowman would quit by game 2

Back