• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Kent Hughes named GM - 5 year deal

Considering we have very average prospects and a garbage NHL team, I am not sure what they are thinking exactly. Maybe they understand they can just keep taking advantage (milking) the fan base and put out a barely playoff caliber team and hope once every couple of decades we can get to the finals. Oh well..
Regime has 5 years on their contracts

Team will not get fixed complete in that time frame

Regime has 5 years on their contracts

Team will not get fixed complete in that time frame

No, but we will make the playoffs in that time frame, and I think that's what the goal is again. Not to have the best team, just a playoff team and hope we keep squeaking through each round by taking out 1-2 of the other team's best players lol.

No, but we will make the playoffs in that time frame, and I think that's what the goal is again. Not to have the best team, just a playoff team and hope we keep squeaking through each round by taking out 1-2 of the other team's best players lol.

Where does this regime see the playoffs anytime soon

We have no fuken base to work with

This is comical , they are fools if thats their plan

There are so many teams ahead of us , or up and coming , we are doomed for years

I wouldn’t read too much into what Hughes is saying to the media folks

I agree , just the thought of more patching got me riled up after a day of hell
Please don’t get me riled up either. Just say it looks like Kent will do things properly this time. I’m early 40s but feel like 60 and I can’t take anymore annoyance with this team and management.

I wouldn’t read too much into what Hughes is saying to the media folks
There will be no tear it down & perform a full rebuild.

“I don’t think in this market you can just do what Arizona does and hope, or do what Buffalo has done and hope,” Hughes said in a half-hour interview with The Athletic on Sunday. “We’ve got to fill this team.”
“We’re not going to trade every long-term contract, every player that’s got term on his deal that is going take him into his thirties. That’s unrealistic right now,” Hughes said.
“I would think all things being equal, if we could have the 13th overall pick in this year’s draft, or the 13th overall pick from last year’s, or two years ago, we’ll take the guy (from) two years ago, he’s closer to being ready,” Hughes said. “That’s all things being equal. If we don’t like that particular prospect, we’re not going to take him just because he’s two years older.

“But clearly, your timeline is shortened when you pick up prospects instead of draft picks.”[

I was trying to think what a reset would potentially look like, taking into account our prospect pipeline and the fact that we will keep some veterans around.

At center, we lack that first line center but the base is fairly deep.

C: Suzuki, Dvorak, Evans, Poehling, and whomever we draft 1st in 2022 1st

On the wing it's bare, I don't see them keeping Gallagher unless he absolutely wants to stay but I could see them keeping Anderson and potentially resigning Drouin on a cheaper, short term contract. We'll need wingers to fill the stop and those two can help in the top 6 and are still young. Everyone else is gone IMO. The depth chart would look like:

RW: Anderson, Caufield, Ylonen
LW: Drouin, Mysak, Harvey-Pinard, Farrell, Roy

On defense we have 4 pretty good prospects if they manage to sign Harris but there is a critical lack of veterans to help groom the kids. I could see Savard sticking around for that reason alone, plus the fact that his value is not very high. We would still need another vet.

D: Romanov, Guhle, Harris, Mailloux, Savard

Other wild cards prospects : Norlinder, Struble, Trudeau, Kidney, Simoneau, Fairborther, Biondi

Goalies are really bare. I think Price will control wants he wants to do, whether retire, stay and ask for trade and the team will accommodate. After that it's Primeau and Montambeault. Allen will be traded.

G: Price*, Primeau, Montambeault, Dichow.

Priority is of course making sure we can develop our young players properly, while adding young assets, whether it is picks or prospects, and we especially need high end talent on offense. We need a good vet on defense that 20+ minutes and reduce the spotlights on the kids. We need a Price successor. We need more size and skills on the wings, which is why I can see them keeping Anderson.

Lots of work to do but it's not like there is nothing to work with.

I was trying to think what a reset would potentially look like, taking into account our prospect pipeline and the fact that we will keep some veterans around.

At center, we lack that first line center but the base is fairly deep.

C: Suzuki, Dvorak, Evans, Poehling, and whomever we draft 1st in 2022 1st

On the wing it's bare, I don't see them keeping Gallagher unless he absolutely wants to stay but I could see them keeping Anderson and potentially resigning Drouin on a cheaper, short term contract. We'll need wingers to fill the stop and those two can help in the top 6 and are still young. Everyone else is gone IMO. The depth chart would look like:

RW: Anderson, Caufield, Ylonen
LW: Drouin, Mysak, Harvey-Pinard, Farrell, Roy

On defense we have 4 pretty good prospects if they manage to sign Harris but there is a critical lack of veterans to help groom the kids. I could see Savard sticking around for that reason alone, plus the fact that his value is not very high. We would still need another vet.

D: Romanov, Guhle, Harris, Mailloux, Savard

Other wild cards prospects : Norlinder, Struble, Trudeau, Kidney, Simoneau, Fairborther, Biondi

Goalies are really bare. I think Price will control wants he wants to do, whether retire, stay and ask for trade and the team will accommodate. After that it's Primeau and Montambeault. Allen will be traded.

G: Price*, Primeau, Montambeault, Dichow.

Priority is of course making sure we can develop our young players properly, while adding young assets, whether it is picks or prospects, and we especially need high end talent on offense. We need a good vet on defense that 20+ minutes and reduce the spotlights on the kids. We need a Price successor. We need more size and skills on the wings, which is why I can see them keeping Anderson.

Lots of work to do but it's not like there is nothing to work with.
I think it will look better after this trade deadline and draft. But, it doesn't help that CC doesn't look like the top 10 prospect he was last year. That's a big problem because we were counting on him being a first line player.

Great post, Wazoo.

Question for all: are there any elite goalies in the draft this year?

Top guys are 2nd rounders, it seems.

I think it will look better after this trade deadline and draft. But, it doesn't help that CC doesn't look like the top 10 prospect he was last year. That's a big problem because we were counting on him being a first line player.
He needs to be in the AHL pronto, but i haven't lost faith.

Yah, agree.

While one is always supposed to draft BPA and this team has weird baggage with hitching their wagon to star goalies, this kinda seems like the time to restock that shelf.

Great post, Wazoo.

Question for all: are there any elite goalies in the draft this year?

Top guys are 2nd rounders, it seems.
Almost impossible to know. There's so much that goes into development for a goalie to make it to the NHL.

To me, using a first round pick on a goalie is paramount to using a first round pick on a big dude that has grit but bad offensive stats & hoping he becomes the next Milan Lucic / Tom Wilson. I mean, there is the possibility you hit and get the next Price / Vasilevsky, but those players come once every decade and you're more likely than not going to draft Greg Nemisz, Colton Gilles or Michael MacCarron.

Back