• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

KK Signs Offer Sheet From Canes/Habs Don't Match

Say we match the offer, and KK plays like he did last year. Chances are we don't offer a QO and he becomes a free agent because he only has to gain by going to the market to see what other deals he gets. So, we lose him for nothing and don't get a 1st/3rd and paid him 6M for 1 year. Sounds like a no brainer in accepting the 1st/3rd.

I mean it's definitely possible to sign him for 6.1m then on January 1st extend him long term at a lower salary. That's probably what Carolina will try to do if we don't match.

Say we match the offer, and KK plays like he did last year. Chances are we don't offer a QO and he becomes a free agent because he only has to gain by going to the market to see what other deals he gets. So, we lose him for nothing and don't get a 1st/3rd and paid him 6M for 1 year. Sounds like a no brainer in accepting the 1st/3rd.
Right, because there’s no chance he’ll improve this season.

I have long given up on figuring out what the Berge is thinking....but I will say NO MATCH, partly because I don't think KK and MB had a great relationship even before this so why would KK give up becoming a Free Agent next year at 22 years old?

You'd be trading a 1st and a 3rd for one year of KK

I think Bergevin matches as a fuck you to Dundon, works out an extension then trades KK. He’ll be patient about it but he will not forget.

maybe...maybe not....right now, KK has the upper hand and doesn't need an extension....he can simply extract another $6M from MB next year or hit the FA market

maybe...maybe not....right now, KK has the upper hand and doesn't need an extension....he can simply extract another $6M from MB next year or hit the FA market
Mb could take him to arbitration next year can’t he? Not sure KK wins that battle unless there’s a significant uptick in performance

I think Bergevin matches as a fuck you to Dundon, works out an extension then trades KK. He’ll be patient about it but he will not forget.
I think he matches unless he can acquire a better option at center by next Saturday - unlikely. I doubt he’s too concerned about future contract implications for KK or other players on the team. Human Nature 101: kick the can down the road . . . and worry about tomorrow, tomorrow.

Last edited:
If he has a bad enough year that he would lose and drop salary in arbitration, would he not simply accept the qualifying offer? Just because the salary could in theory drop in in arbitration, you still need to offer the 6m QO first if I understand the rules.

I can't see how it makes any sense to match. You're paying a lot of money not just this year but for years down the road to string him along. Yeah, maybe he turns into the next Aho or something and you gave up on him early, but it just feels like if you natch it screws you for this year, then he turns into a marginal player and you can't justify another 6m on him next year, so you let him walk. Take the picks, try someone else out, and that's that.

I have long given up on figuring out what the Berge is thinking....but I will say NO MATCH, partly because I don't think KK and MB had a great relationship even before this so why would KK give up becoming a Free Agent next year at 22 years old?

I actually find Bergie pretty predictable. While he is able to look down the road a bit, he always brings his eyes back to what’s right in front of him and what’s right in front of him will usually be the deciding factor in his decision making process.

If he has a bad enough year that he would lose and drop salary in arbitration, would he not simply accept the qualifying offer? Just because the salary could in theory drop in in arbitration, you still need to offer the 6m QO first if I understand the rules.

I can't see how it makes any sense to match. You're paying a lot of money not just this year but for years down the road to string him along. Yeah, maybe he turns into the next Aho or something and you gave up on him early, but it just feels like if you natch it screws you for this year, then he turns into a marginal player and you can't justify another 6m on him next year, so you let him walk. Take the picks, try someone else out, and that's that.
No, the whole point of taking a player to arbitration is because you don't want to pay him the qualifying offer.

It all comes down to , does Nero think KK’s upside is legit and this is the year he takes the leap.

As mentioned KK wasn’t ready for the NHL in his first 2 years , this should of been his rookie season

Makes no sense to save face or retaliate if team is giving up on him

Take the picks and move on, KK isn’t saving your season

Back