• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

KK Signs Offer Sheet From Canes/Habs Don't Match

Why? Do you really value that 1st round pick that much?
A combination. A 1st and a 3rd is worth considerably more than a 2nd.

I hate paying KK $4m+ but just getting a 2nd for him just isn't enough. Even if the pick is like 20th... it's still worth a lot more than 53rd. And, as unlikely as it seems... that 1st has the potential to be a lottery pick.

The Canes should be worse than last year given the players in/out. How much worse? I'm not sure.

KK is making bank he never would have and it will continue through RFA now. Congrats on hitting the idiot lottery KK, hope you buy a nice retirement spread.

A combination. A 1st and a 3rd is worth considerably more than a 2nd.

I hate paying KK $4m+ but just getting a 2nd for him just isn't enough. Even if the pick is like 20th... it's still worth a lot more than 53rd. And, as unlikely as it seems... that 1st has the potential to be a lottery pick.

The Canes should be worse than last year given the players in/out. How much worse? I'm not sure.
A late first for KK is not good value. And his market price is probably at around 3.5M so i don't get why that's appealing at all.

The late first is an assumption. Looking at the East it’s quite possible Carolina misses the playoffs.

A late first for KK is not good value. And his market price is probably at around 3.5M so i don't get why that's appealing at all.
Rumours were Canes we’re trying to acquire KK, when that didn’t work they decided to offer sheet.

What makes everyone think that Habs will get better offers next summer for him, when his starting price might be 6M as per CBA rules

KK signed at fair market value for a 1st and 3rd? No thanks. I'll keep KK.

KK at $6.1m for a 1st and 3rd? Yeah, I think I gotta take the picks. And hope that the Canes suck this year.

Have you considered what moves the Habs would have to make to accommodate the $6.1m?

KK signed at fair market value for a 1st and 3rd? No thanks. I'll keep KK.

KK at $6.1m for a 1st and 3rd? Yeah, I think I gotta take the picks. And hope that the Canes suck this year.

Have you considered what moves the Habs would have to make to accommodate the $6.1m?
What's fair market value though? I can understand walking away at 6.1 but you said you would also walk away at 4.1, which i don't understand.

What's fair market value though? I can understand walking away at 6.1 but you said you would also walk away at 4.1, which i don't understand.
I said "I'd have a harder time accepting."

You still haven't answered how we can accommodate $6.1m for KK. I guess we trade Byron for a 5th if someone is willing. That might get us close.

I think the crux of the reasoning for the offer sheet was the belief that the owner wouldn't be willing to write big checks for Aho once a year.
Oh, it 100% was that. And people sit around with a straight face and wonder why Carolina would be petty about an offer sheet this summer. Bergevin didn't just offer sheet Aho. He went out of his way to insult Carolina's owner in the process.

Really?? Damn, that says a lot. He was never going to sign for less than 3M.
We'll never know how much he would have signed for if he was never offered the contract by Carolina, but I was fully expecting him to sign at around $2M. If he wanted $3M, well...

The thing that's started to happen with Kotkaniemi is the same thing as when Beaulieu was here.

Potential started becoming synonymous with excuse making.

Well, he's just 21!

Well, he's still learning!

Well, this! Well, that!

Unfortunately for Kotkaniemi, he was foolishly rushed into the NHL at 18 when he wasn't ready and he hasn't really developed very much from his game since then. Who knows what's going to happen in the future, but he's not a rookie, he's got 3 full NHL seasons under him.

Me not wanting to match Carolina's offer has nothing to do with liking or not liking him. I like Kotkaniemi. But I have to be honest about what I think the player is worth. If next off-season, a team came and gave Jake Evans a 5 year $20M offer sheet, I'd wish him the best of luck and congratulate him on his contract. I can't, under any circumstances, justify paying Jake Evans that kind of money. Similarly to Kotkaniemi, he's shown me nothing that justifies him paying him close to $6M, nor the subsequent amounts neighboring that in the following seasons.

Oh, it 100% was that. And people sit around with a straight face and wonder why Carolina would be petty about an offer sheet this summer. Bergevin didn't just offer sheet Aho. He went out of his way to insult Carolina's owner in the process.
LOL

The thing that's started to happen with Kotkaniemi is the same thing as when Beaulieu was here.

Potential started becoming synonymous with excuse making.

Well, he's just 21!

Well, he's still learning!

Well, this! Well, that!

Unfortunately for Kotkaniemi, he was foolishly rushed into the NHL at 18 when he wasn't ready and he hasn't really developed very much from his game since then. Who knows what's going to happen in the future, but he's not a rookie, he's got 3 full NHL seasons under him.

Me not wanting to match Carolina's offer has nothing to do with liking or not liking him. I like Kotkaniemi. But I have to be honest about what I think the player is worth. If next off-season, a team came and gave Jake Evans a 5 year $20M offer sheet, I'd wish him the best of luck and congratulate him on his contract. I can't, under any circumstances, justify paying Jake Evans that kind of money. Similarly to Kotkaniemi, he's shown me nothing that justifies him paying him close to $6M, nor the subsequent amounts neighboring that in the following seasons.
Yep

Back