• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

KK Signs Offer Sheet From Canes/Habs Don't Match

I fully expect Bergevin to match the offer. His concern is this year and this year only. If I was making the call I would let him go and take the picks. I just don't see KK developing into a number 1 or 2 centre.

Let him go. He signed knowing his unrealistic salary down the road would screw future negotiations with whichever team gets him . His priorities are clearly for personal benefit while completely disregarding consequences for the team.

There was a reason he was benched in the playoffs on a team that was playing for each other.

Matching the deal with KK will have a very, and I do mean very, minimal impact on the team's results this year and will make re-signing him in future years a pain in the ass.

We lose a 10g (maybe) 30 point center, who isn't all that great defensively, and replace him with Jake Evans? Who is much better defensively, but puts up less points?

Are we sure this is that much of a net negative?

Food for thought:

Kotkaniemi is going to make more this season and next than Danault will. The only way he'll be making less than Danault next year is if the team that signs him decides not to give him a qualifying offer and lets him walk.

You know, that same Phillip Danault who couldn't score? And still outscored Kotkaniemi in spite of all that?

Yeah, match Carolina's offer. Go right ahead, lol.

Last edited:
I fully expect Bergevin to match the offer. His concern is this year and this year only. If I was making the call I would let him go and take the picks. I just don't see KK developing into a number 1 or 2 centre.
The issue is the qualifying offer the following season. I would take the picks then if KK improves I would offer sheet him right back fixing up the Canes salary structure long term.

The issue is the qualifying offer the following season. I would take the picks then if KK improves I would offer sheet him right back fixing up the Canes salary structure long term.
Can't offer sheet him if they elect to take him to arbitration. If they don't, then he's fair game.

Maybe it’s time to stay away from offer sheet signing Fins.

Back to the Swedes!

I agree regarding qualifying offer but think Bergevin is gone after this season.

Out of market contracts for comparable players take years for the market to catch up.

I always go back to the following examples:
  1. The 1st big Brad Richards Contract in 2007 : Elite centers started making that kind of money 4 years later (don't have time to research all the details)
  2. PK's $9 million deal for D in 2014 looks like market 7 years later : This off season we are starting to see players of similar caliber make the same cash (Jones, Hamilton, Nurse); Although Karlsson and Doughty made out better two years ago (it still took 5 years to crack)
  3. Price's $10.5 deal in 2016 still hasn't caught up (other than Bobo's Florida deal which took three years to come to fruition)

This KK OS has long term impact on the market and the Habs. Stay away. Take the picks and trade for Dvorak.

Over the next 4 years Dvorak will be the best player out of Dano, KK, Dvorak with the best contract situation.

It’s one guy, the Canes owner. It’s not any of his peers. There have only been 10 offer sheets signed in 25 years.
All of the other teams would have reacted in a similar fashion to Carolina had Bergevin offered sheeted one of theirs. Bergevin should have been able to factor that in at the time. Now its costing him.

Out of market contracts for comparable players take years for the market to catch up.

I always go back to the following examples:
  1. The 1st big Brad Richards Contract in 2007 : Elite centers started making that kind of money 4 years later (don't have time to research all the details)
  2. PK's $9 million deal for D in 2014 looks like market 7 years later : This off season we are starting to see players of similar caliber make the same cash (Jones, Hamilton, Nurse); Although Karlsson and Doughty made out better two years ago (it still took 5 years to crack)
  3. Price's $10.5 deal in 2016 still hasn't caught up (other than Bobo's Florida deal which took three years to come to fruition)

This KK OS has long term impact on the market and the Habs. Stay away. Take the picks and trade for Dvorak.

Over the next 4 years Dvorak will be the best player out of Dano, KK, Dvorak with the best contract situation.
Agreed

Except KK really doesn't impact the team this year, we have Suzuki/Evans/RP who are all better than him. So, what benefits the team overall? It's most likely taking the picks. Like someone else said, he's basically a 10G/30pt player, and you get identical production from RP/Evans with RP most likely able to maybe score a couple more goals. You get production from replacement players, it's not like they score 0 points vs KK at 30pts. Someone with his ice team will probably put up similar numbers and you get the draft picks.

Except KK really doesn't impact the team this year, we have Suzuki/Evans/RP who are all better than him. So, what benefits the team overall? It's most likely taking the picks. Like someone else said, he's basically a 10G/30pt player, and you get identical production from RP/Evans with RP most likely able to maybe score a couple more goals. You get production from replacement players, it's not like they score 0 points vs KK at 30pts. Someone with his ice team will probably put up similar numbers and you get the draft picks.

Evans and Poehling are not better.

gotta walk , it will completely fuk up the future cap

Nick will be asking for 9-10 mil with another good season

A pecking order is in place , cant pay that offer

He should be getting a bridge at 2x 2.5 , this is ridiculous

The more cap we got , teams will be dumping good players

If it's about this year... who are they getting rid of to fit in KK's $6.1m?

Back