• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

KK Signs Offer Sheet From Canes/Habs Don't Match

They don't have to offer him a QO, they can take him to arbitration instead. That's my understanding.
ahhh yes

i read your post wrong

on a side note: remember when the hawks forgot to submit QOs on time and had to sign everybody for over market value lol

i think his ceiling is pretty low as well

i had hopes after this rookie year but not so much anymore

I think the tools are there but he's progressing slowly. Once he stop falling everywhere it will be the difference because he's losing way too many puck battles that way.

ahhh yes

i read your post wrong

on a side note: remember when the hawks forgot to submit QOs on time and had to sign everybody for over market value lol

All the QO/Arbitration system gets complicated. From my understanding, you need to offer the QO to retain their rights, and if that's refused, then you can take them to arbitration. But reading through again, yeah, it seems like teams can run to arbitration to drop it. So that makes it a little easier to deal with, because in theory he could be a 6M player this year, a 5M player the year after, although it would essentially stick at that since I think you can only take a guy to arbitration once (all assuming you don't make a handshake longer term deal at any point).

But yeah, the point is that he needs to be worth that in the near-ish future to want to match. Sure, he's young, maybe could breakout for more, etc... It doesn't really matter if he's 21 or 31, I don't want to pay a Lars Eller 6M a year.

All the QO/Arbitration system gets complicated. From my understanding, you need to offer the QO to retain their rights, and if that's refused, then you can take them to arbitration. But reading through again, yeah, it seems like teams can run to arbitration to drop it. So that makes it a little easier to deal with, because in theory he could be a 6M player this year, a 5M player the year after, although it would essentially stick at that since I think you can only take a guy to arbitration once (all assuming you don't make a handshake longer term deal at any point).

But yeah, the point is that he needs to be worth that in the near-ish future to want to match. Sure, he's young, maybe could breakout for more, etc... It doesn't really matter if he's 21 or 31, I don't want to pay a Lars Eller 6M a year.

There is 2 windows for teams elected arbitration, one around June 15th (or 2 days after the Stanley Cup is won) and another one around July 5th, after the QO have been tendered.

Looking at from Carolina's point of view, this is really stupid.

What? $6.1M for a guy who hasn't shown he's more than a third line center? And if he doesn't play better, you have to give him an increase on the $6.1M or let him walk?

Yeah, good luck with that.
That $20 "bonus" tipped their hand. The Canes don't care about KK. They may not even want him. This is just about sticking it to Bergevin and their plan is predicated on an assumption that Bergevin will actually qualify KK in order to keep him and screw up the Habs' cap in the process. I'm not sure they ever considered the possibility that the Habs might walk away, because if they do all of a sudden the Canes are paying a huge price just to troll Bergy. They're the ones who will have the cap issues and they'll be the ones giving up their first round pick in order to pay KK 3 times what he's worth to play on their bottom six.

I think MB has to match. Giving up on a 3rd overall pick so soon for a 20 something overall pick, the optics look pretty bad.
Letting him walk will put KK out of sight and out of mind. We will soon forget that we wasted a 3rd overall pick on him (except when we play the Sens and Tkachuk eats our lunch)

If we qualify him and he doesn't earn the money (which he won't) he'll become another Drouin.

They will match. The optics of losing him for picks and not having any centre depth is too brutal. They’ll then probably extend him to a 5 year deal worth 4.5. Either way, we’re screwed.

I think Bergevin matches as a fuck you to Dundon, works out an extension then trades KK. He’ll be patient about it but he will not forget.
It's a bigger fuck you to Dundon if Bergevin walks away. Then it's the Canes who wind up losing a first rounder and it's them who have to overpay for a bottom six, 30-40 point forward.

10000% correct

Any fuk up , he is benched or yo-yo`d in the lineup

The playoff benching was unwarranted and he even scored big goals for us while others did squat
True, but none of that is likely to change. It's still Ducharme behind the bench so he's going to treat KK the same next season as he did last season. One thing that is never changing (unless or until we get a real front office housecleaning) is the way this organization develops and utilizes its players. So if KK's game isn't conducive to the way Ducharme coaches him or the developmental staff develops him then he's going to fail.

That $20 "bonus" tipped their hand. The Canes don't care about KK. They may not even want him. This is just about sticking it to Bergevin and their plan is predicated on an assumption that Bergevin will actually qualify KK in order to keep him and screw up the Habs' cap in the process. I'm not sure they ever considered the possibility that the Habs might walk away, because if they do all of a sudden the Canes are paying a huge price just to troll Bergy. They're the ones who will have the cap issues and they'll be the ones giving up their first round pick in order to pay KK 3 times what he's worth to play on their bottom six.

I don't think it's that high a price to pay for the troll. There is a decent risk reward here, they get a young player with potential under their cap, they have the roster to protect him and the change of scenery might be beneficial. At worse, they walk away with no emotional attachment whatsoever, losing a 1st round pick in the process but still satisfied at getting back at the Habs. At best they get a solid player and an even better revenge.

For the Habs it boils down to this: do you think that Kotkaniemi will turn out to become something closer to another Suzuki or closer to another Drouin? If it's leaning toward the former, you match. If it's trending more toward the latter you walk.

Back