• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Laine v Matthews

Jesse Puljujarvi is the best player in this draft.
Are you saying Puljujarvi is better than Matthews now? I thought you just said Matthews was the clear #1 a few days ago???!

Again, if we end up in top 3 (which has slightly higher than 50% chance) I won't be disappointed. I think all 3 of them have very good chance at becoming bonafide 1C / 1W.

Are you saying Puljujarvi is better than Matthews now? I thought you just said Matthews was the clear #1 a few days ago???!

Again, if we end up in top 3 (which has slightly higher than 50% chance) I won't be disappointed. I think all 3 of them have very good chance at becoming bonafide 1C / 1W.
That was in response to this post:

I'm the idea guy only here...but people should write up a post praising each one of the top 4 picks like that's the guy we got, we always wanted and how great everything is.

We pick the best ones for whoever we end up with.

Yeah just playing by BBW's rules. Puljujarvi is #3, but IMO the gap between 2 and 3 isn't very big. Winning any of the lotteries would be great.

Bob McKenzie
Know for fact at least 1 lottery team, and maybe more, have Laine at No. 1. So, if that team were to win lottery...

Ya that was a great post. Easy to forget how much Laine has risen based on a fairly small period of time.

Ahh ... got it.

I like Laine, but the whole hype about Laine (which is typical of media this time of the year ... and Bobby Mac's tweet is just another example) is kinda based on his surge late in the season and in the playoff. It's kinda like how some players are highly rated because of 1 WJHC tourney (playoff is just another short tourney) and anyone can get hot at the right time.

I'm not saying Laine is not a great prospect, but to properly evaluate these guys you gotta look at how they performed over a much larger sample space and not just WJHC or the Finnish league playoff.

I don't disagree with most of that, but if you watch the 2 skate and don't put Matthews ahead of Eichel I don't know what you're watching. They're pretty damn identical other than that. Matthews is a gifted skater and Eichel, though he has an impressive top speed is slow off the start with a pretty awkward looking giraffe stride.

Eichel's skating posture kinda reminds me of Jagr's.

What channel is this on? Thought it was on CBC but it is saying in my TV guide that it's Game 2 between the Pens/Caps.

Would strongly disagree... they need something to get people to notice them as they don't have a fan base to energize currently.

If going on a run in the playoffs won't energize and build a fanbase, then you might as well give up on the market... matthews isn't doing it either.

Was Liane laying on his bed for that interview? Looked like a person talking to their long distance girlfriend...so weird.

As for the lottery - ugh. Congrats. Might have to leave the board in a few years.

Yeah just playing by BBW's rules. Puljujarvi is #3, but IMO the gap between 2 and 3 isn't very big. Winning any of the lotteries would be great.

It don't matter now.:thumbup:

I was thinking, if we got the third or fourth pick we should have a positive write-up all ready to go.

Now we don't have to lie.

All you prospect pros give it your best analysis.

Having only seen snippets my opinion is limited.

Matthews - safer pick, two way center, older prospect, no major weaknesses, no huge tools, hoping for an yzerman or tavares or something like that.

Laine - huge tools, potential weaknesses in skating and two way play, younger prospect, not a center, hoping for a jagr or kovalchuk type upside.

now you go.

It's okay now.

to be honest, I was never really worried about not having the 1st overall. The juju has changed.

Laine has just wowed me in ways matthews hasn't, and given the leagues they've played in and their age difference I'm not overly confident in the statistical comps.

and i'm glad we got marner, not Strome.

Back