• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Leaf Rumours

Anyone else catch that Bobby Ryan turned down a 3 year deal... will he be a UFA or RFA next year.

I'd love to get Bobby Ryan to play on the top line with Kessel..

Ryan UFA Kessel
Poni Kadri Hagman
I don't think Ryan is going anywhere.

That said, the Ducks DO have cap issues, especially now they got JSG and his $6.5M contract for next season that nobody is going to take.

He turns RFA if the Ducks fail to sign him to an extension.

If you "pace" these numbers...

2007–08 Philadelphia Flyers NHL 56gp 20g 26a 46pts (82gp 29g 38a 67pts)

you'll see he has already proven to be more than that.

yep, for one half-season in his career, he was more than a 50ish point type player.

one half season.

Both are willing to play a physical game and have the talent to put up some points. Not talking Getzlaf here, but certainly the type of player that can compliment a scoring line.

I like them - but I think if both were the gritty hardworking types that they're being described as here, they wouldn't have been the dissappointments they've been so far.

Ladd would easily be top 6 in Toronto,

no he wouldn't.

He'd be neck and neck with Stempniak for third line duty.

In fact, Stemp is the guy he's most similar to on the leafs.

i think he would put up Ponikarovsky numbers but actaully bring a physical element to the game, and actaully head to the net unlike Poni.

why?

Ladd is somewhat comparable to Stempniak (at least in terms of production) but is the type of player I'd like to replace Stempniak with -- big, strong, physical, young.

Of course, if they can get that from Hanson, Stalberg or Tlusty that's just as good and possibly even better (because Ladd is nothing special).

But he's a big strong guy, good skater, and works well along the boards. Which is where a guy like Stempniak really struggles (and hurts the team).

I wonder if they've given up on Stemp now.

They seem to have the lines set for now, for real this time - and that has Stemp on the third line - but still mysteriously receiving PP time, perhaps in an attempt to raise his trade value.

Replacing Stempniak with Stalberg or Hanson would make us a better team right now. If we could get a mid-round pick for Stemp, that would be even better.

"If we keep losing, that's the next step," said Burke, in a lengthy state of the Maple Leafs interview last night. "If we're going to struggle, we're going to struggle with kids in the lineup.

When told he made the same proclamation in April after the Leafs missed the playoffs last season and the same proclamation prior to training camp with no veteran being dispatched, Burke answered with a question of his own: "Who would you bury?"

When it was suggested that Jason Blake doesn't exactly pay his own way with his meagre goal-scoring numbers and that he would be a candidate to be sent packing, Burke said: "Does anyone on this team work harder than Jason Blake? There has to be an element of fairness in this."

So pretty much he doesn't have the balls to send down guys like Wallin and Mayers.

heh Im glad someone had the gonads to call him out on it.

Its the same talk over and over again, since game 6 of the season.

We're on pace for a 16 win season buddy, get on your horse and change something.

there were as many as 10 pro scouts at the game last night. I don't think they were watching the Islanders

Something is going to happen

What is the question though.

Obviously a change is needed but there are slim pickings of players who can get a quality return in this line up.

I expect a change but nothing major.

Rumour of Tlusty for Sopel and a 2nd in the sun today. don't think I like that one much. Isn't there a cheaper way we could acquire a 2nd besides giving up a former 1st round pick playing well at the AHL level and taking a bad contract for next season?

no that's stupid

Tlusty himself is worth more than a 2nd round pick, so far we're picking up Sopel's contract for free?

"Does anyone on this team work harder than Jason Blake? There has to be an element of fairness in this."

'Oh, he's just so nice. We can't send a player whose nice down the minors.'

Where do you draw the line? Granted, Blake wouldn't be my first choice to demote, but you can't keep guys on the roster just because they try hard.

Sopel is a salary dump - shouldn't the Leafs be WINNING that deal?

Gotta be something else coming to the Leafs side of the ledger.

Rumour of Tlusty for Sopel and a 2nd in the sun today. don't think I like that one much. Isn't there a cheaper way we could acquire a 2nd besides giving up a former 1st round pick playing well at the AHL level and taking a bad contract for next season?
UGH, its stupid enough that it might actually happen.

Why do we have to end up giving the best player in a deal where the other team does salary dumping?

Thats a horrible deal. Just plain bad.

If this deal happens i'll dance a jig

Burke said he was very close to ? deals over the weekend, one believed to be the Sopel trade, but they are dead by Monday morning

Back