• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Leafs' Prospect/Marlies Discussion Thread!

I use the term pipeline precisely because of the issues you're concerned about.

You can have ...

- prospect pool measurement, which is problematic for ranking young talent
- young talent measurement, which solves the issue with using 'prospects' for ranking teams
- pipeline measurement, which is unconcerned with age or status beyond being under contract/rights and not yet an NHLer.

The latter measurement is useful for assessing needs. The other two, not so much.

Matthews definitely brings the ranking up, but there is only one NHLer on that list. The rest are prospects. They have a solid prospect group that is only going to get better with a crazy amount of picks this year, including the highest one Dubas has had to work with as GM.

Matthews definitely brings the ranking up, but there is only one NHLer on that list. The rest are prospects. They have a solid prospect group that is only going to get better with a crazy amount of picks this year, including the highest one Dubas has had to work with as GM.
I honestly don't give a hoot about how the Leafs are ranked on anyone's list. But Pronman is pretty up front about Matthews giving them a huge boost over his previous ranking (which I think he had them at 20 something).

Should be their NHL prime really. If they haven't made it yet, they're not that good.
Most of them will be depth players, some overlooked Euros, and the odd late bloomer. Teams need depth and the ability to pluck the odd overlooked gem.

Mikheyev was 25 last October.

Mikheyev was 25 last October.
Yet he's in the NHL and would've been in the NHLer earlier if he was Leaf property before last year. Because he's good at hockey. Unlike most 23-24 year olds who still haven't cracked an NHL roster.

Personally I'm not too unhappy that the Leafs don't have a bunch of 22-26 year olds that can't crack an NHL roster. Their guys that age are actually good enough to do it. I'm pretty thankful about that.

Yet he's in the NHL and would've been in the NHLer earlier if he was Leaf property before last year. Because he's good at hockey. Unlike most 23-24 year olds who still haven't cracked an NHL roster.
At this time last year, Mikheyev was in the pipeline but worthless according to you.

They have other guys like Mikheyev in the pipeline though. Barabanov and Lehtonen.

The problem is you don’t know a player is a Mikheyev until prove it in the NHL. So I’m not sure how you even evaluate that category of players in a pipeline fairly beyond they have players likethat in the system.

At this time last year, Mikheyev was in the pipeline but worthless according to you.
Being stuck in Russia and just signed to an NHL contract is not the same as being cut from the same NHL team for the last 5 years like most 23-24 year olds who haven't made it yet.

They have other guys like Mikheyev in the pipeline though. Barabanov and Lehtonen.
That too. Lehtonen in particular might be realgud. Dude is a superstar d in the second best league in the world. 4 points (3 goals!) in his first 2 games this season.

I mean, if the criteria of value is cracking an NHL lineup by 23, there's a lot of players excluded -- some very good. Seems silly.

The point is, the leafs are stacked with young players. Unfortunately they just happen to be good enough to make the NHL so people think their "cupboards" are "bare." It's called having elite young talent instead of mediocre young talent. I'm honestly really glad they don't rank highly on the "prospect" rankings that don't include Lilly, Sandin, Matthews, Marner and Robertson because they already "made it."

I really like the way the Leafs are managing the pipeline. They're grabbing a lot of potentially overlooked/late blooming long shots and playing them in the AHL or ECHL. It provides quality for their minor teams and maybe the odd nice find, like Trevor Moore.

The point is, the leafs are stacked with young players. Unfortunately they just happen to be good enough to make the NHL so people think their "cupboards" are "bare." It's called having elite young talent instead of mediocre young talent. I'm honestly really glad they don't rank highly on the "prospect" rankings that don't include Lilly, Sandin, Matthews, Marner and Robertson because they already "made it."
I don't know who you are arguing with. The only person who said this bare thing around here was Pep, iirc.

I really like the way the Leafs are managing the pipeline. They're grabbing a lot of potentially overlooked/late blooming long shots and playing them in the AHL or ECHL. It provides quality for their minor teams and maybe the odd nice find, like Trevor Moore.

I miss him kinda. Him and Timashov. Those are my kinda fourth liners.

Back