• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Leafs' Prospect/Marlies Discussion Thread!

Almost time to start making some decisions on them.

Have to assume Scott goes to the Growlers, but that still leaves 4 Marlies goalies(Hutch, Kallgren, Woll, D'agostino). Something has to give eventually.

Decisions seem pretty straightforward.

Scott’s barely played in years, so off to the Growlers he goes.

D’Agostini is a 28 year-old who spent his entire career playing in the ECHL or even worse leagues before catching on with the Marlies last year, and he’s put up horrible numbers with them. So either cut him loose entirely, or have him as ECHL depth

Then have Kallgren start for the Marlies, have Woll be his backup/1B, and then have Hutch either stick around as the 3rd stringer, or have him fuck right off.

I'm not sure if the Woll/Hutch decision is that straight forward. Kind of tough to punt on a guy with over 130 NHL appearances, especially considering that he's been meh for us but not really a complete shambles, in favour of a kid who has barely cracked .890 in the AHL to this point. It's easy to like Woll at the moment given that he's been goodish in his 2 starts for us, but he's been flat out bad as a professional so far.

1.000 record

The goat

200.gif

Gotta ride Woll at least until Mrazek returns (or he has a disastrous start), then turn him back to the Marlies to earn his next call-up.

I'm not sure if the Woll/Hutch decision is that straight forward. Kind of tough to punt on a guy with over 130 NHL appearances, especially considering that he's been meh for us but not really a complete shambles, in favour of a kid who has barely cracked .890 in the AHL to this point. It's easy to like Woll at the moment given that he's been goodish in his 2 starts for us, but he's been flat out bad as a professional so far.

I don’t think we disagree on Woll. He has a long track record of mediocrity and poor play in both the NCAA & AHL since we’ve drafted him, and hasn’t really shown any progression. At this point, I likely wouldn’t qualify him when his ELC is up.

But where we differ is I’m just done with Hutch at this point. When he’s on, he can be an OK NHL goalie, but when he’s off the dude is an absolute nuclear meltdown. And more often than not, he’s in the latter mode.

I’d rather roll the dice on the 23 year old and see what he’s got in the last year of his deal. And in an ideal world, Kallgren keeps playing well and is your third string goalie ahead of either Hutch or Woll anyway.

I don’t think we disagree on Woll. He has a long track record of mediocrity and poor play in both the NCAA & AHL since we’ve drafted him, and hasn’t really shown any progression. At this point, I likely wouldn’t qualify him when his ELC is up.

But where we differ is I’m just done with Hutch at this point. When he’s on, he can be an OK NHL goalie, but when he’s off the dude is an absolute nuclear meltdown. And more often than not, he’s in the latter mode.

I’d rather roll the dice on the 23 year old and see what he’s got in the last year of his deal. And in an ideal world, Kallgren keeps playing well and is your third string goalie ahead of either Hutch or Woll anyway.

I'm not sure why anyone would be done with Hutch as a #3 goalie though. The dude played 8 games last year and put up a .919, and then played twice this season and sucked dick....but he's going to give you ~.900 sv professional goaltending overall and from your #3, take that and run.

Now, if Kallgren goes on a bit of a run in the AHL he should obviously vault Hutch on the depth chart in a hurry and be the #3 for....but Woll? Call me when he shows anything resembling form on the AHL. NHL points are important, I'll roll the dice on the guy with the .900+ NHL track record over 130+ games played.

I'm not sure why anyone would be done with Hutch as a #3 goalie though. The dude played 8 games last year and put up a .919, and then played twice this season and sucked dick....but he's going to give you ~.900 sv professional goaltending overall and from your #3, take that and run.

Now, if Kallgren goes on a bit of a run in the AHL he should obviously vault Hutch on the depth chart in a hurry and be the #3 for....but Woll? Call me when he shows anything resembling form on the AHL. NHL points are important, I'll roll the dice on the guy with the .900+ NHL track record over 130+ games played.
remember when we kept Sparks of McElhinney?

a decision most of us supported at the time too...

remember when we kept Sparks of McElhinney?

a decision most of us supported at the time too...

yes, because it was the right one. you draft and develop a guy, he win the championship with your top minor team...you promote him, instead of leaving him down there and signing some veteran 3rd stringer.

what are you saying to the guys in your system otherwise? they have to know they'll get a shot if they deserve and earn it.

now Sparks turned out to be a dud, but at the time, without hindsight, Dubas made the the right call.

Sparks wasn't even that bad for us.

McElhinnney did have an ok year for carolina that year, but was pretty much crap for TB after that.

yes, because it was the right one. you draft and develop a guy, he win the championship with your top minor team...you promote him, instead of leaving him down there and signing some veteran 3rd stringer.

what are you saying to the guys in your system otherwise? they have to know they'll get a shot if they deserve and earn it.

now Sparks turned out to be a dud, but at the time, without hindsight, Dubas made the the right call.
sure, but the point was that sometimes the sure thing works out better than the mystery box

Maybe my disdain for Hutch is somewhat irrational, but I’m still sick of the roller coaster ride we get with this guy, where he’s either pretty solid or he’s a complete disaster, and then it all averages out to solidly mediocre in the end.

You can always still keep him around and throw him a start from time to time, and have him as “break glass in case of emergency“ NHL depth, but I’d still rather that the bulk of the Marlies playing time behind Kallgren goes to Woll instead of Hutch.

Woll’s not a prospect that I have much hope for, but he’s still young enough to be considered a prospect at least. And he’s had one normal season of pro development, followed by 15 total games in a fucked-up pandemic season. Let’s see how he does in another full normal season, then make an informed decision on his future when his contract’s up at the end of the year.

Maybe my disdain for Hutch is somewhat irrational, but I’m still sick of the roller coaster ride we get with this guy, where he’s either pretty solid or he’s a complete disaster, and then it all averages out to solidly mediocre in the end.

I mean he's a #3 goalie, if he was consistently average even, he'd be in the NHL full time. I can't be arsed to look at the stats, but I doubt many teams have a vet #3 goalie that's any better.

Kinda reminds me of how some baseball fans will winge about their team having a shitty backup catcher, while not realizing that 90% of the teams around the league have the exact same situation. It is what it is, your #3 goalie is never going to be good. That's why he's the #3. Just hope he doesn't cost you too many points if you need to use him.

I mean he's a #3 goalie, if he was consistently average even, he'd be in the NHL full time. I can't be arsed to look at the stats, but I doubt many teams have a vet #3 goalie that's any better.

Kinda reminds me of how some baseball fans will winge about their team having a shitty backup catcher, while not realizing that 90% of the teams around the league have the exact same situation. It is what it is, your #3 goalie is never going to be good. That's why he's the #3. Just hope he doesn't cost you too many points if you need to use him.

As far as veteran #3’s go, I’m sure Hutch is far from the bottom of the barrel.

Still, I dream of the day where our third string goalie is actually a promising young goalie pushing his way up onto the NHL roster, rather than a shitty vet that’s already washed out of being a full-time NHLer.

Back