• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

No Excuses No Limits! The mother fucking goddamn season thread

He's more risky than people think when it comes to throwing legit money and term at in an attempt to potentially save money in the future. He's not a PP1 guy on this team at this point in his career (and honestly, not top of the list for PP2 guys either) so counting stats aren't going to jump off the page.

When do we expect him to be better than what we saw out of someone like Bertuzzi last year? That's what 5 millie looks like in free agency. Until he shows us he's at least that with upside to be more, what's the rush in locking him up?
Savings in years 3-8... slight premium now and big savings later. Locking him up from 22-30 would take his entire prime, UFA years etc.

For Knies I'd try 4-5 years at $3ish over paying him big money.

Yeah, that sounds like the way to go. Basically offer him Zach Hyman’s second contract plus inflation.

Definitely not as interested in going 6-8 years and moving up into an AAV that’s in “good 2nd liner” territory. If that’s what he’s set on, I’d rather stick with short-term deals.

I guess it depends what people think he will turn into. 1st full season was 15 goals and 20 assists as a 21 years old. If people think he is a 20/40 guy long term then I understand going short.

If you think he is a 25+ goal 50+ pt power forward then you probably go longer on him now if the $$ is right

Kind of a beast in the playoffs too. One of the few who has consistently elevated. Yeah I'd lock him up if I can/if it's a reasonable cost.

I guess it depends what people think he will turn into. 1st full season was 15 goals and 20 assists as a 21 years old. If people think he is a 20/40 guy long term then I understand going short.

If you think he is a 25+ goal 50+ pt power forward then you probably go longer on him now if the $$ is right

Yeah, I guess that’s the thing with me. His production last year was good, but from what I’ve seen from him in the NHL and from his production in college, I’m not convinced he has a lot of additional untapped offensive potential.

And if he doesn’t, a 6-8 year term and AAV of $4.5M+ won’t look great.

Hard not to see his already solid production bump up with 1st line minutes with M&M and full minutes on what looks likely to be an improved 2nd pp unit. He doesn't even have to be better, just keep the same production in a bigger role.

My main hope for him this year is that he starts elevating lines. I don't doubt that he will eventually. He has the tools to be a hyman but it sure felt like he dragged every line he played on down last year. Until the playoffs. That's when he nutted up and became the best player on the team pretty much. X2.

Did anybody catch the first intermission on Saturday where Dreger basically said, "And they might move Kampf as a way to get under the cap"?

If Dreger is "speculating" about moving Kampf, he is probably the guy they will move.

Are you trying to summon LOF?

If it happens, it happens. All I'm saying is that throwing large money at the guy who finished 12th in goals among players 21 and younger last year is risky.

Just to take a look at a few examples...

- Perfetti just signed a 2 year extension for 3.25 per after a better season than Knies is coming off of, and was a top 10 overall pick in his draft class.
- Byfield signed 5/6.25 after a 20/55 season
- Sillinger was slightly out produced by Knies (12/32) and signed 2/2.25
- Kent Johnson has a pretty Knies-ish production resume and signed 3/1.8

So yeah, the market for what Knies is right now imo is somewhere in that Perfetti/Sillinger/Johnson tier on a 2-3 year deal. If we're going 4-5+ years on it, there's only so much financial risk we should be taking. I'd rather him prove it and then pay him 5+ than give him the money before he puts up 25/50+

Kind of a beast in the playoffs too. One of the few who has consistently elevated. Yeah I'd lock him up if I can/if it's a reasonable cost.

3 points in 7 games man. He was good, but "beast" is a strong word.

He plays a playoff friendly style though, definitely.

Back