• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

No Excuses No Limits! The mother fucking goddamn season thread

I'd do the zeke deal

Knies won't though.

For clarity, I'm reacting to what I'm seeing in the Leafs twitterverse/blogosphere with 8 x 5 "not going to get it done" and "future star is worth the risk" type talk being pretty common. 4.5 x 8 would be fine with me. The risk would definitely be shared in a spot of above average sweetness in that case, which is why I doubt it happens.

I get wanting to sign him long term and try to get lots of value down the road.

But there is lots to like about taking that value over the next 2-3 years and worrying about the future later.

Like 3 x $1.8, come on?

Yeah, that's what I'm saying. That's the market for guys who have done what Knies has done so far. If you can get him at that type of number for 3 years, I'm fine with his number being 6-7 million later if he turns into what some people think he's going to be.

If it happens, it happens. All I'm saying is that throwing large money at the guy who finished 12th in goals among players 21 and younger last year is risky.

Just to take a look at a few examples...

- Perfetti just signed a 2 year extension for 3.25 per after a better season than Knies is coming off of, and was a top 10 overall pick in his draft class.
- Byfield signed 5/6.25 after a 20/55 season
- Sillinger was slightly out produced by Knies (12/32) and signed 2/2.25
- Kent Johnson has a pretty Knies-ish production resume and signed 3/1.8

So yeah, the market for what Knies is right now imo is somewhere in that Perfetti/Sillinger/Johnson tier on a 2-3 year deal. If we're going 4-5+ years on it, there's only so much financial risk we should be taking. I'd rather him prove it and then pay him 5+ than give him the money before he puts up 25/50+
i dont disagree

Probably 5 or 5.5 mil.

Nah, I'd rather drag his dick over broken glass through RFA and then pay him his market value on the backside.

But in fairness, I'm in the camp that doesn't see a star there. I see a good NHL'er, probably a top 6 power forward who scores ~25 most years, but not a star. I get why someone who sees him as such only sees the upside in 8x5.5 or similar.

Nah, I'd rather drag his dick over broken glass through RFA and then pay him his market value on the backside.

But in fairness, I'm in the camp that doesn't see a star there. I see a good NHL'er, probably a top 6 power forward who scores ~25 most years, but not a star. I get why someone who sees him as such only sees the upside in 8x5.5 or similar.
A 25 goal power forward is $8+ in 5 years.

Debrusk just got $5.5 x 6 and has put up 25 goals once.

If we traded Lilly, Kampf, Jarnkrok, Reaves we'd have a clear $6m capspace to spend entirely on one player.

I've seen some evidence....

...Kampf has been strictly in 4th/5th line setups so far. His contract is rich for a guy who doesn't seem to be a candidate to be used in a bigger minute matchup role like Keefe used him in.

....The most recent lineups with McMann and Robby solidly in the top-9 might indicate that Krok will be in a 4th line setup as well. But we'll get some conformation of that tommorrow.

TOR last 5yrs

5v5

#2 2.92 gf/60
#4 2.82 xgf/60
#2 9.15 sh%

#14 2.44 ga/60
#9 2.41 xga/60
#18 91.39 sv%

#5 54.4 gf%
#2 53.9 xgf%

5v4

#3 8.79 gf/60