• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

No Excuses No Limits! The mother fucking goddamn season thread

yeah jury is still out on Berube for me. need a bigger sample before properly assessing.

but, it would concern me if Berube immediately Babcocks guys, i.e. benches them indefinitely with no hope of them being able to earn their way back in.

time will tell. I've definitely warmed some to Berube after my initial skepticism...

Philosophically, I have no problem with a coach having any particular leaning towards or away from players of certain types. Biases are what they are, no worries.

It's when the evidence piles up and the coach still insists on running out a bad lineup, bad line combos, etc is where they lose me.

Sure, bench Robertson, or McMann or whoever if you want to see what the lineup looks like with Jarnkrok in the top 6, or Reaves on the 4th line. Part of the regular season is tinkering with your lineup. But when motherfuckers show you with performance that they belong in or out of the lineup and you fucking insist on denying the obvious reality being presented to you....you're shit, fuck off.

Philosophically, I have no problem with a coach having any particular leaning towards or away from players of certain types. Biases are what they are, no worries.

It's when the evidence piles up and the coach still insists on running out a bad lineup, bad line combos, etc is where they lose me.

Sure, bench Robertson, or McMann or whoever if you want to see what the lineup looks like with Jarnkrok in the top 6, or Reaves on the 4th line. Part of the regular season is tinkering with your lineup. But when motherfuckers show you with performance that they belong in or out of the lineup and you fucking insist on denying the obvious reality being presented to you....you're shit, fuck off.
So wise, my sexy sage

sure seems like he used veteran reaves (who did have a good camp) to send a message to mcmann, and not only put mcmann right back in in game 2 but then moved him up the lineup when tavares went down too. Not lorentz or kampf or reaves. Keefe moved Gregor up to the 1st line in a similar scenario.

he's also stuck with Robby even though he hasn't been great. And he's trying hard to give Holmberg all the chances ahead of Kampf in Kampf's usual slots.

Lilly stunk in camp no doubt. Timmins is talented himself. I don't mind Timmins getting a real look before throwing him away.

But i'd also hate it if Lilly was dumped for cheap without giving him a look under Berube first. I don't think Berube wants that either but we'll see.

Timmins is looking a bit sketchy defensively and isn't doing anything offensively either....and Berube seems to be looking for his bottom pair RHD to be part of the 2nd pk unit but they're struggling. Lilly was pretty decent on the 2nd pk unit last year.

Last year 4v5

Brodie 199min, 9.17xga/60
McCabe 153min, 8.84xga/60

Benoit 98min, 7.57xga/60
Giordano 97min, 8.46xga/60

Liljegren 57min, 7.96xga/60
Rielly 43min, 7.18xga/60

Lagesson 36min, 5.50xga/60
Lyubushkin 35min, 8.11xga/60
Edmundson 23min, 8.67xga60

This year

Tanev 14min, 7.76xga/60
McCabe 13min, 7.53xga/60

Timmins 8min, 12.29xga/60
Benoit 6min, 13.79xga/60
OEL 4min, 2.29xga/60

not on point but since i was looking here's the forwards so far

This year 4v5

Lorentz 9min, 6.64xga/60
Holmberg 8min, 8.98xga/60

Marner 7min, 9.29xga/60
Kampf 6min, 11.33xga/60

Knies 6min, 9.38xga/60
Matthews 5min, 5.64xga/60

Last year

Kampf 181min, 8.62xga/60
Marner 136min, 8.43xga/60

Nylander 78min, 8.91xga/60
Jarnkrok 76min, 9.33xga/60

Gregor 70min, 6.81xga/60
Matthews 57min, 6.51xga/60

Holmberg 50min, 10.39xga/60
Dewar 39min, 7.45xga/60

McMann 26min, 8.14xga/60
Knieds 22min, 7.37xga/60

not on point but since i was looking here's the forwards so far

This year 4v5

Lorentz 9min, 6.64xga/60
Holmberg 8min, 8.98xga/60

Marner 7min, 9.29xga/60
Kampf 6min, 11.33xga/60

Knies 6min, 9.38xga/60
Matthews 5min, 5.64xga/60

Last year

Kampf 181min, 8.62xga/60
Marner 136min, 8.43xga/60

Nylander 78min, 8.91xga/60
Jarnkrok 76min, 9.33xga/60

Gregor 70min, 6.81xga/60
Matthews 57min, 6.51xga/60

Holmberg 50min, 10.39xga/60
Dewar 39min, 7.45xga/60

McMann 26min, 8.14xga/60
Knieds 22min, 7.37xga/60

dick-smash.gif

Play that guy more.

So far, all three games, they look fast, defensively responsible for the most part, and are hustling like the initial Babcock years.

The only thing that stinks is the PP. The Pens PP and their movement was amazing, something to take notes from.

If i have my read on Berube right (big if) i think we may see Lilly draw in next game. Timmins hasn't been very good.

Very much agree. Something seems off with him, maybe getting used to a system where he’s actually able to do what he’s excellent at has gotten to his head.

It would be really nice to see Lilly kick the door in and take his job back. The kid could still easily be an important defender for us now and a top 2-3 in the not so distant future as some of what we have starts to age a bit.

I still think we will need injuries to let him back. But glad management didn’t punt him already for a 2nd or 3rd - so that’s a small win.

So far, all three games, they look fast, defensively responsible for the most part, and are hustling like the initial Babcock years.

The only thing that stinks is the PP. The Pens PP and their movement was amazing, something to take notes from.
I HAVE SO MUCH TO TELL U

Leafs last year:
0P2N0QB.jpeg

Leafs this year:

wnRo3AU.jpeg
The speed stats are eye popping when you consider the only changes up front are the slowish Bert for the slower max pac and Krok for Lorentz (probably slower) and on d to swap out old brodie for old tanev and Lilly for oel (overall probably a wash in foot speed).

I’m also assuming the shot speed thing is basically all oel (11 sog already).

Something else that’s interesting - Auston knies and Marner are 1-2-3 among fwds in shots. With that - knies is probably shooting the puck too much…

Lilly is a tough case cause that salary is a real bad fit

There's lots of cap that can be moved to accomodate his 3 millie and overall the blueline isn't expensive.

Rielly-Tanev
OEL-McCabe
Benoit-Lilly
Timmins

is 22.95M. That's cheaper than just the top 4 of Pittsburgh, Boston, Tampa, NYR, barely more expensive than Carolina's.

There's a few salaries to carve out of this group before moving on from Lilly over salary concerns.

The speed stats are eye popping when you consider the only changes up front are the slowish Bert for the slower max pac and Krok for Lorentz (probably slower) and on d to swap out old brodie for old tanev and Lilly for oel (overall probably a wash in foot speed).

I’m also assuming the shot speed thing is basically all oel (11 sog already).

Something else that’s interesting - Auston knies and Marner are 1-2-3 among fwds in shots. With that - knies is probably shooting the puck too much…

Everyone skates faster when the puck is moving. Sheldon's entire style of play last year was based on the puck just not fucking moving. The personnel definitely helps, but a bunch of this is systemic in how they beat the forecheck and breakout imo. I haven't seen much of that blind reversing under pressure bullshit that was common under Sheldon. The D to D work below the dots is way more predictable and controlled now.

Keefe wanted them to exploit the soft spaces to keep the puck. But those areas of the ice have room because they aren’t dangerous. So they kept the puck, but they played slow and away from the net and couldn’t score in the playoffs.

Keefe wanted them to exploit the soft spaces to keep the puck. But those areas of the ice have room because they aren’t dangerous. So they kept the puck, but they played slow and away from the net and couldn’t score in the playoffs.

A system that fits perfectly with Keefe & Dubas’s strategy of filling up the bottom six with cardio merchants who don’t hit and can’t score, but are great at hanging onto the puck in low-danger areas and inflating their fancy stats.

Back