• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

No Excuses No Limits! The mother fucking goddamn season thread

That is odd. Here are the screenshots:

Y0swixH.jpeg

yIqKZZT.jpeg

N7W1iip.jpeg
The only thing that stands out to me here is that it sounds like he started getting calls from Calgary players before hearing from his GM. This does point to Dubas as being too "nice" and finding it difficult to do the hard parts of the job.

1. Standard practice
2. Standard practice
3. Standard practice (GM isn't going to tell everyone that he's testing the trade waters)
4. Not the team's problem
5. - PROBLEM? -
6. Agent knew, but Kadri didn't?
7. Good teammates
8. Standard practice
9. Standard practice

This could have all been summed up with "I fucked up in the playoffs, the team quietly shopped me around and found a deal they liked with a team that was on my "no-trade list". The other team tried to sell me on it, which left me confused - but my agent was aware of what was happening. I was able to veto the trade, but the team had another trade in their quiver - and I was moved to Colorado. I moved my young family there and won a Cup! As it turns out, my time in Colorado was short - but the Cup-win really boosted my value and I signed an inflated contract with the team that I refused to be traded to. Not sure why I'm telling you this now, as I'm not retired and still have 4 years left on my contract."

Season + Playoffs Paces

Tavares with Leafs: 484gms, EV 23gls/51pts, PP 11gls/25pts, ALL 34gls/76pts
Kadri Since leaving: 381gms, EV 18gls/48pts, PP 10gls/22pts, ALL 28gls/70pts
Hyman Since leaving: 295gms, EV 28gls/51pts, PP 13gls/20pts, ALL 41gls/73pts

Factor in Kadri and Hyman playing a fast gritty game. And have outgoing engaging personalities. And they actuallly smile and get mad and stuff.

And then factor in Tavares' caphit acting as a magnet for Matthews/Marner/Willy contracts.

And that Matthews would have been captain a long time ago.

What an epic disaster.

imagine a world where we didn't sign JT and just kept Kadri and Hyman.
Season + Playoffs Paces

Factor in Kadri and Hyman playing a fast gritty game. And have outgoing engaging personalities. And they actuallly smile and get mad and stuff.

And then factor in Tavares' caphit acting as a magnet for Matthews/Marner/Willy contracts.

What an epic disaster.

It’s definitely been feeling more and more like when the histories of this era of Leaf hockey are written, the Tavares signing will be looked back on as pretty much the key moment when everything started going wrong.

Unless Willy and Auston manage to get us a Cup this season, or at some point between Mitch & JT fucking off this summer and the end of their own Leaf careers.

And it really is amazing to think of all of the complete long-time losers this organization kept bringing in to supplant our home-grown guys as the leaders of this team.

Marleau, Tavares, Thornton, Spezza, Simmonds, Foligno, Bogosian, Giordano.

All guys who were the leaders of teams that were either consistently bad/mediocre (Tavares, Foligno, Bogo), or were consistently elite in the regular season and utterly incapable of translating that into real playoff success (the rest of the guys on that list).

Season + Playoffs Paces

What an epic disaster.
This conclusion assumes that Kadri wouldn't have continued to get himself suspended or hurt the team in the playoffs, and that Hyman would've reached the same heights playing with Matthews (which he never showed any indication of whatsoever when he was here, and looks like he ran out of his magic elixir at the moment).

Also, we could've had all three of them on the team, instead of bums like Kerfoot/Barrie, Bertuzzi and Klingberg and whoever else we paid similar money to over the years. So, again, this occasional positioning of Tavares OR Kadri/Hyman, like he prevented them from being on the team, is silly.

Furthermore, we had all three of them on the team at the same time - how did we do?

This conclusion assumes that Kadri wouldn't have continued to get himself suspended or hurt the team in the playoffs, and that Hyman would've reached the same heights playing with Matthews (which he never showed any indication of whatsoever when he was here, and looks like he ran out of his magic elixir at the moment).

Hyman Last 3yrs TOR: EV 24gls/49pts pace --- PP 2.62g/60, 4.37p/60
Hyman First 3yrs EDM: EV 27gls/52pts pace --- PP 2.84g/60, 4.54p/60

Also, we could've had all three of them on the team, instead of bums like Kerfoot/Barrie, Bertuzzi and Klingberg and whoever else we paid similar money to over the years. So, again, this occasional positioning of Tavares OR Kadri/Hyman, like he prevented them from being on the team, is silly.

True we might have wasted Tavares' $11m on something just as bad or worse. Maybe not tho. And probably not on a guy whose caphit would be a magnet for Auston and Marner.

Furthermore, we had all three of them on the team at the same time - how did we do?

this is a fair point. we actually got worse each of the first 2yrs after signing Tavaares.

Hyman Last 3yrs TOR: EV 24gls/49pts pace --- PP 2.62g/60, 4.37p/60
Hyman First 3yrs EDM: EV 27gls/52pts pace --- PP 2.84g/60, 4.54p/60

True we might have wasted Tavares' $11m on something just as bad or worse. Maybe not tho. And probably not on a guy whose caphit would be a magnet for Auston and Marner.

this is a fair point. we actually got worse each of the first 2yrs after signing Tavaares.
I'm sure it was all Tavares' fault with those 47 goals in his first year.

As for Hyman, how many of those goals with us were in empty nets?

It is. It was a good segment. He completely said he thinks they are the most critical. Although truth be told, SN is worse.
Everything that shows Leaf games is by far most critical of the home team. James is awesome.
He even gave credit to the Leafs for never complaining (Which makes me think other teams do maybe)

Imagine a New York Yankees “home” broadcast where the play-by-play was called by a Mets fan, and the intermission host was a Red Sox fan?

That’s the rough equivalent of TSN’s Leaf broadcast, and they’re not even as bad as Sportsnet.

His overdrive commentary?
I am not saying that he wasn't telling the truth, but he is using it in a bit as to why the last game preview show "jinks" the team as they were overly positive to the Leafs. Like a "regular" home broadcaster would.

Hahaha.

Isn't it great! They are allowed to do their "national" pregame show for their "regional" audience. And aren't we better off for it?

He used the same story as in tonight's pregame opener.

Back