• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

No Excuses No Limits! The mother fucking goddamn season thread

Are there any defenders out there that could become available that can legitimately improve the defence? Josi? Is Carlson any good anymore?

still have wes clark for now and the entire scouting staff. just pay em/hang onto 'em.

i know there was a frustration we seemed to go for "safer" guys but think knies, robertson, minten, cowan are looking like good returns so far.

11-7 is the way to go for now. Kilnger used in pp situations only.

Give some double shifts to bertuzzi, Domi, Jarnkrok and Robertson to give them a run.

Also, there might be a market for Reaves in Calgary. When Kane said that to them...who do you have over there that's gonna do anything?.". Well Reaves can punch the shit out.of Kane if he wants, and they'll like him for that.

Kilnger might be sought out for offense from the back and they can shelter him with their better overall d.

And I'm gonna say vladar again because you can't teach 6'5 and he doesn't flop around as much as a Sammy anyway.

The Dubas Family is currently in last place, where they deserve to be.
Top 6-7 team on the nerdies this year. They keep playing like this and their goaltending holds up, their luck will change. Most of the additions he made have been exactly as advertised. Even his bizarre obsession with Zohorny is paying off.

Note: I desperately wanted to mock Kyle this year but I have to be honest that his body of work looks quite solid SO FAR. I can't lie about it. As usual his goalie contract is the only question mark, but Jarry hasn't necessarily been godawful either really.

There really would be no better and funnier outcome I could imagine for Dubas’s first season in Pittsburgh than for his Pens to be near the top of the standings in his precious nerd stats while languishing near the bottom of the real standings.

I still feel at the end of the day feel it was a failed power grab that resulted in Dubas not being here rather than anything else.

And we mighta brought in Treliving, and he mighta made two god awful signings but... he continued with trying to build around the core 4, and he kept... absolutely everyone in Dubas' FO other than Spezza who took his ball and went home... and he kept his head coach, and he let Wes Clark do his thing at the draft table.

So maybe I'll look like a dummy later but I still have hope here.

It's more the symbolism for me. They're in fine shape and didn't make any catastrophic decisions that will cripple them moving forward.

But their two main targets on d were a shit nerdie player in Dumba and then their backup was an even worse one in Klingberg. I would just prefer if the organization targeted guys like Sprong, Gus, etc. It's just a sign that they are not a team that is as data driven as I'd want them to be. And that's unfortunate.

Yeah, I mean that's fair enough. I feel like Dubas did make some headscratching non-analytics acquisitions in his tenure but he started off extremely data driven and that probably earned some trust from us first.

He did yeah, it wasn't all rosy with Dubas especially near the end. But he had a vision and you can twist the data in ways in which you can see where he is coming from. For example, he heavily valued shot suppressive vanilla surrounding the core. He clearly targeted specific players that the data suggested were vanilla boring shot suppressing depth. Hell, the data even backed up the Sandin trade in the end. But yeah, the Simmonds thing, Nick Ritchie, every goalie decision (though even Mrazek was supported by the data by some), Tyson Barrie, Engvall trade, etc. weren't great.

But it appears we're in uncharted waters now and that scares me. Dumba and Klingberg as his main targets frightens me because he tossed the numbers in the trash on those players.

Last edited:

View: https://x.com/FriedgeHNIC/status/1723008257726296272?s=20

oh-sure-john-candy.gif

I think the one-year deals are a huge positive tbh. these are not mistakes that will linger. well reaves might linger but it's minimal.

bert and domi are good signings no matter what at that price imo.

Klingberg we can literally just waive, which will give us enough room to keep Timmins et al even if he doesn't get claimed and i think give us enough room to carry an extra forward too and pressbox reaves most of the time. if he isn't claimed, we can pay most of his salary and then dump him for a lower pick later on when we need the capspace at the deadline.

there might even be upside here if there were voices in the room that were strongly against the klingberg and reaves signings, who Brad might listen to a bit more closely going forward. IF there were, of course. (there must have been tho, no?).

And you know, Dumba might not be as bad as I thought anymore. More defensive than offensive now. Heavy dzone starts and PK duty now.

5v5

'23: 18:25, +2.4dzs%, 50.2xgf% (-0.9rel)
'24: 15:46, +7.8dzs%, 52.6xgf% (+0.1rel)

decent in tough usage.

also, in the playoffs last year it was the Brodin-Dumba pair that got it's ice time bumped up as Minny's shutdown pairing, and he played the 2nd most minutes (whereas klingberg played 4 playoffs games for them as their #6D and then was replaced by Jon Merrill).

So more of a Holl level guy but with more of an edge. Nothing great but probably a useful fit, price-depending. He signed for 1yr $3.9 so it's a bit strange that brad would end up paying more for a guy he apparently liked less.

Back