• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Office Space - The office b*itch thread

imo, very few things are more tragic than the office (people forced on you by your employer, and 99% of which forgotten within a few months of moving on to a new job) becoming the core of your social life. They're such transient relationships when viewed at a real time scale.

I get the utility "the office" for certain functions (like LoF using it as a status piece in the eyes of his clients, there's absolutely a credibility gap between a professional operating from home and from a moderately upscale or better office location, and your rates get to reflect that) but it's a terrible stand in for having actual friends.
You’re right to some extent, however

1) you can build lasting friendships in the workplace.

2) people have a tendency to retreat - office socialization, even if it’s transient can benefit some folks who otherwise wouldn’t be social, to their own detriment.

3) there are people who deal with shit at home and can use the separation.

You’re right to some extent, however

1) you can build lasting friendships in the workplace.

2) people have a tendency to retreat - office socialization, even if it’s transient can benefit some folks who otherwise wouldn’t be social, to their own detriment.

3) there are people who deal with shit at home and can use the separation.

It’s one thing to need a change in scenery between your home & your workplace. Or to be a highly social/extroverted person that craves in-person socializing at the office.

But man, on point #3, I pity anyone for whom the office is literally a refuge from a home they dread going back to at the end of the day. And I’ve definitely worked with people in that boat.

there is something to be said about talking with colleagues face to face -- not only can it be enjoyable but it's also productive and encourages valuable discussion in ways that email/zooming cannot. So I don't mind going in -- it's just easier not to.

I also find that because I don't go in much, all that extra stimulus that comes with interacting with others exhausts me by the end of the day...as I'm no longer used to all that interaction
also, for me, entering a new field fairly recently with a sizeable team with lots of years of experience and expertise, important to build those relationships now. have already reaped the rewards in many cases.

and I don't think there is a technological substitute for face to face interactions in the workplace.

I'm the opposite of you - I gain energy from interacting with my colleagues. Mrs. Wayward is an introvert so I appreciate that perspective too.

It is interesting. Just based on your posts, I wouldn’t have pegged you as that type. But I think your type is more common than my type, hence all the wfh love out there.
it's funny, my brother, in the early days of the pandemic, was fucking raging that his office was closed and may not reopen. he was adamant he would quit if that was the case.

then he got a dog.

now, he rages at the idea that he may be called back into the office.

imo, very few things are more tragic than the office (people forced on you by your employer, and 99% of which forgotten within a few months of moving on to a new job) becoming the core of your social life. They're such transient relationships when viewed at a real time scale.

I get the utility "the office" for certain functions (like LoF using it as a status piece in the eyes of his clients, there's absolutely a credibility gap between a professional operating from home and from a moderately upscale or better office location, and your rates get to reflect that) but it's a terrible stand in for having actual friends.
I actually like my colleagues though. Agreed that most of the relationships are transitory.

But doing what I do, (at this point, at least) I often rely upon the expertise and experience of my colleagues, so good relationships are integral for my professional success too.

I actually like my colleagues though. Agreed that most of the relationships are transitory.

But doing what I do, (at this point, at least) I often rely upon the expertise and experience of my colleagues, so good relationships are integral for my professional success too.
I'm the opposite... longest tendered, most experience on the team and every time we have an office day I basically need to put up a vacation notice because I get nothing accomplished.

It’s one thing to need a change in scenery between your home & your workplace. Or to be a highly social/extroverted person that craves in-person socializing at the office.

But man, on point #3, I pity anyone for whom the office is literally a refuge from a home they dread going back to at the end of the day. And I’ve definitely worked with people in that boat.
Yep. It isn’t just the refuge - it being at work is also a way to check on somebody’s well being. I’ve seen some really horrible stuff.

yeah. Being home all the time also reduces chances of office romances.

I'm the opposite... longest tendered, most experience on the team and every time we have an office day I basically need to put up a vacation notice because I get nothing accomplished.
lol yeah the 'old guard' in my office are mostly closed door operators.

I get it too. With more and more folks coming back to the office (they made us) and increasing traffic I found myself having to close my door just to be able to get enough work done during the actual workday and avoid staying until everyone has gone home to be productive...

lol yeah the 'old guard' in my office are mostly closed door operators.

I get it too. With more and more folks coming back to the office (they made us) and increasing traffic I found myself having to close my door just to be able to get enough work done during the actual workday and avoid staying until everyone has gone home to be productive...
Fully open concept office.

I don't mind it as I need people to be able to do their jobs well so our teams performance (and my variable pay) are good.

Back