• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

OT: American Politics

I retired from it after owning it for years.

Frankly, I'm a bit angry it wasn't renamed after me in my honour.

You 3 peat and I'll come back.
That's the goal! And tbh I'm looking forward to the challenge of seeing how long I can hang at the top in a non-cap league.

I would tell you that it is so hard to figure out truth in this world and I would not be surprised, albeit disappointed.

So if he's full of shit about that (and he is, the video provided is from an actual historian specializing in eastern european history), what else pertaining to his stated motivations regarding Ukraine is he full of shit about?

So if he's full of shit about that (and he is, the video provided is from an actual historian specializing in eastern european history), what else pertaining to his stated motivations regarding Ukraine is he full of shit about?
History is notoriously murky depending on perspectives and viewpoints. I don't think I'm ready to rule out what he's said.

History is notoriously murky depending on perspectives and viewpoints. I don't think I'm ready to rule out what he's said.

You're not willing to rule out that a history invented nearly out of whole cloth by a dictator to justify his actions is full of shit when the consensus among experts on Eastern European history agree that it's pure fiction?

I finally won it this year for this first time. #FeelsGoodMan #NewDynasty

my man

I would tell you that it is so hard to figure out truth in this world and I would not be surprised, albeit disappointed.
I'm glad we're having a civil conversation. I just want to make the point that smart people always question everything, including their own beliefs. I can't speak for anyone else here, but I do this all the time. Am I really right, on this issue? What is the argument from the other side? What if I'm wrong? Nobody is ever 100% correct. If I was president I would never make any major decision without a bipartisan group of advisors. The key though, is that they have to be smart, honest people who genuinely want to solve the problem. They do exist on both sides. But unfortunately are few and far between in the world of MAGA.

I can tell you from years of experience following politics that there is way more dishonesty from the right, than from the left. Are some people on the left cuckoo for cocoa puffs? Abso-fucking-lutely. But in general, there's way more lying and grifting on the right, especially in the current right-wing screech-o-sphere on social media. Don't blindly believe me, or anyone else, on any issue. But always try to seek out actual evidence that can prove something is correct.

Which brings me to conspiracy theories. They're almost always bullshit. Please view them with skepticism, and seek out proof. Generally speaking, the deeper you dig, the more you'll realize that a lot of it made-up facts and pseudoscience. That's not to say that some aren't true, though. The CIA did some crazy shit in the 60s, 70s and 80s. They are still active today, and I'm not saying they don't ever feed info to contacts in the media, but they are just a group of people in the end. They are the Deep State in the sense that they run covert and classified operations, but they work for the United States government, not against it.

I could certainly be wrong on some issues, but I can say with 99.9% certainty that Trump is an imbecile conman, and that Putin is an evil dictator. The amount of proof is overwhelming. He's always been a grifter (you can read up on the thousands of lawsuits from people he hired and then refused to pay). He is absolutely a malignant narcissist (look up the definition). He does not care about anyone or anything other than Trump.

And Putin is the bad guy in the Ukraine War. I'm sorry you fell for it, but his ideas of history are complete fabrications. He wants to restore the Soviet Union, and he was convinced by all the yes-men around him that the war would be over in a few weeks. Because with dictators, their fatal flaw is that over time they replace anyone who tells them the brutal truth with people who tell them what they want to hear.

That's why you see so much exasperation around here that people can't see through Trump and Putin. They are not subtle men. The proof is overwhelming. It's kinda like watching all these movies and still not knowing who the bad guy is.

GX0ezpi.jpeg

Would be interesting if we could find out how many NDAs are out there between Trump and the contestants of his beauty pageants.

I'm glad we're having a civil conversation. I just want to make the point that smart people always question everything, including their own beliefs. I can't speak for anyone else here, but I do this all the time. Am I really right, on this issue? What is the argument from the other side? What if I'm wrong? Nobody is ever 100% correct. If I was president I would never make any major decision without a bipartisan group of advisors. The key though, is that they have to be smart, honest people who genuinely want to solve the problem. They do exist on both sides. But unfortunately are few and far between in the world of MAGA.

I can tell you from years of experience following politics that there is way more dishonesty from the right, than from the left. Are some people on the left cuckoo for cocoa puffs? Abso-fucking-lutely. But in general, there's way more lying and grifting on the right, especially in the current right-wing screech-o-sphere on social media. Don't blindly believe me, or anyone else, on any issue. But always try to seek out actual evidence that can prove something is correct.

Which brings me to conspiracy theories. They're almost always bullshit. Please view them with skepticism, and seek out proof. Generally speaking, the deeper you dig, the more you'll realize that a lot of it made-up facts and pseudoscience. That's not to say that some aren't true, though. The CIA did some crazy shit in the 60s, 70s and 80s. They are still active today, and I'm not saying they don't ever feed info to contacts in the media, but they are just a group of people in the end. They are the Deep State in the sense that they run covert and classified operations, but they work for the United States government, not against it.

I could certainly be wrong on some issues, but I can say with 99.9% certainty that Trump is an imbecile conman, and that Putin is an evil dictator. The amount of proof is overwhelming. He's always been a grifter (you can read up on the thousands of lawsuits from people he hired and then refused to pay). He is absolutely a malignant narcissist (look up the definition). He does not care about anyone or anything other than Trump.

And Putin is the bad guy in the Ukraine War. I'm sorry you fell for it, but his ideas of history are complete fabrications. He wants to restore the Soviet Union, and he was convinced by all the yes-men around him that the war would be over in a few weeks. Because with dictators, their fatal flaw is that over time they replace anyone who tells them the brutal truth with people who tell them what they want to hear.

That's why you see so much exasperation around here that people can't see through Trump and Putin. They are not subtle men. The proof is overwhelming. It's kinda like watching all these movies and still not knowing who the bad guy is.

GX0ezpi.jpeg
An incredibly patient, thoughtful post.

that's not to say that some aren't true, though. The CIA did some crazy shit in the 60s, 70s and 80s.

The thing about the CIA is that for every "win" they fucked shit up too. The idea of an all powerful US intelligence apparatus simply doesn't survive even a cursory look at it's history.

Guatamala is a really good example of when the CIA did some shit that conspiracy minded folks like to bring up as proof of an all powerful CIA....but actually fucked it up and won anyway through no skill of their own.

The CIA did sponsor a coup in Guatamala in 1953....and it failed. The sponsored invasion force led by Armas got it's ass handed to them and the Arbenz government. But Arbenz and the Guatamalan military was terrified of a full US invasion so Arbenz resigned anyway and the US got their anti communist dictator.

So I said that to say this: The CIA is not and never has been a breakaway rogue actor, it's a tool used by the Executive Branch when it can't get it's way above board. That 1953 coup for example, was ordered directly by WWII hero President Eisenhower.

Last edited:
Remember when Republicans said that the FBI planted the secret documents at Mar-a-Lago? And Trump claimed that as well, until a few weeks later when he admitted he took them and concealed them all along but anyway it wasn’t a big deal because he declassified them with his mind?

That’s just one example of HUNDREDS where the wool is pulled back and you think, ok, surely, some of these people are going to figure it out now. But they never do.

Back