• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

OT: American Politics

the elector certification process he sought was part of the constitution.

No. Just no.

Eastman's interpretation of the 12th is shit, and deeply corrupt. It was dealt with in the late 1800's ffs and he has to set aside the law created to deal with this specific possibility as "unconstitutional" though he's never publicly explained why the Electoral Count Act is unconstitutional.

To the point of your argument though...that certification process is specifically not in the constitution, and that was the problem Eastman was attempting to exploit. There was nothing put in the 12th to combat the concept of uncertified electors. That's why the ECA was created ~150 years ago, to clarify the process. The ECA specifically addresses this and says that it's illegal (which is why people are going to jail over it).

As a dad and someone with a dad I think it’s funny

200w.gif

No. Just no.

Eastman's interpretation of the 12th is shit, and deeply corrupt. It was dealt with in the late 1800's ffs and he has to set aside the law created to deal with this specific possibility as "unconstitutional" though he's never publicly explained why the Electoral Count Act is unconstitutional.

To the point of your argument though...that certification process is specifically not in the constitution, and that was the problem Eastman was attempting to exploit. There was nothing put in the 12th to combat the concept of uncertified electors. That's why the ECA was created ~150 years ago, to clarify the process. The ECA specifically addresses this and says that it's illegal (which is why people are going to jail over it).
Oh no, it was all perfectly above board. That’s why their VP said no and they chanted to hang him. Very normal, non-coup stuff.

He corrected himself right away.

He did....

and if this was an isolated gaff, I'd shrug. Dude needed to at least give us 2-3 weeks of sticking the landing so this story would go away. My take is still fundamentally the same. If the internal polling says he's the best chance to beat Trump, I say live with the seniors moments and let's go. On a fundamental level I'm way more worried about the ability to take time, data, experience and turn those into good decisions and policy than I am about him being an inspiring public speaker. But certain appearances do need to be kept up though, fml.

Back