• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

OT: American Politics

I’m taking this election very seriously…. and I’m confident more folks will too, the closer we get to playoff time
So I'm legit curious about your opinion.

If Trump wins, what exactly do you think will happen to democracy over the next four years? Not might happen, but actually will happen.

So I'm legit curious about your opinion.

If Trump wins, what exactly do you think will happen to democracy over the next four years? Not might happen, but actually will happen.

Honestly, I don’t want to contemplate him winning. the downside is pretty extreme, IMO.

His first term, he filled his staff with semi competent folks (of course they all left). That and the fact that he’s incredibly lazy mitigated the potential damage to a large degree

Now he’s had four years to recruit people who share his autocratic instincts plus he’ll be motivated by 4 years of being charged for dozens of crimes.

At minimum, I see him starting a bunch of inflationary trade wars, let boots on the ground wars go uncontested globally, and allow drilling all over now protected lands

Honestly, I don’t want to contemplate him winning. the downside is pretty extreme, IMO.

His first term, he filled his staff with semi competent folks (of course they all left). That and the fact that he’s incredibly lazy mitigated the potential damage to a large degree

Now he’s had four years to recruit people who share his autocratic instincts plus he’ll be motivated by 4 years of being charged for dozens of crimes.

At minimum, I see him starting a bunch of inflationary trade wars, let boots on the ground wars go uncontested globally, and allow drilling all over now protected lands

He also starts with a stacked court, who has already essentially given him dictatorial immunity. And I think Putin probably better knows what he's dealing with. Last time it was probably more of a deal with just making sure the US implodes under him, now I'm sure that Trump will immediate negotiate a complete surrender of the Ukraine as a start, and who know what else after.

Reactions: CH1

My question was really just focused on how he'd end democracy, which is the commonly expressed fear both here and outside of here.

I'm curious about what, realistically, you think he could do to actually end democracy. Because the way people are talking, it sounds like we'd have King Trump reigning for the rest of his natural life rather than President Trump causing reckless havoc for four more years.

Three's a clear path to him staying potus indefinitely. There's nothing really stopping him, and his party will be full on pushing for it.

But that's secondary to the validation of all the attacks on elections they are already doing and will do again this fall - extreme stuff like literally refusing to count votes, or simply refusing to recognize a valid election winner, or tacks like fake electors - all things that they tried last time and failed at only because a handful of people refused to go along with it.

Not to mention that recent scotus rulings have removed all blocks to a party getting rid of all federal powers in general, including any governance over elections.

And of course, across the world, in countries with far less democratic norms and history, which are already under assault by wannabe dictators.....those wannabe dictators and others will only be emboldened to continue destroying the democracies in their countries. Especially after Trump pulls out of Nato, leaving the remaining nato countries the only defenders of democracy left in the world.

My question was really just focused on how he'd end democracy, which is the commonly expressed fear both here and outside of here.

I'm curious about what, realistically, you think he could do to actually end democracy. Because the way people are talking, it sounds like we'd have King Trump reigning for the rest of his natural life rather than President Trump causing reckless havoc for four more years.
All he has to do, with the help of the SC, is assert martial law over the protests that will absolutely follow his win.

Never mind the idea that they wat to dismantle education systems and replace it with....what exactly?

Oh yeah, that whole using the courts to determine that women do not have the right to their own body....that could be seen as a shot across the bow of democracy.

it’s asymmetrical. If Dems win, 0% chance democracy ends. If Trump wins, it’s not 100% that democracy as we know it will end, but it’s also not 0%! Even 5% is too fucking high.

A lot of checks and balances will be gone. One of the big things that hindered Trump in his first term is government agencies didn’t do what he wanted…. this time, anyone serving that is remotely anti trump will be fired and replaced by a sycophant.

I suppose his biggest challenge will come from governors of blue states that can invoke some legislative resistance

Back