• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

OT: American Politics

They’re all in on the conspiracy, too

They're all still in trauma about the time Nato tanks rolled in and took over against their will. Everyone will always remember they great Warsaw Massacre of 1999.

Fun fact about Poland joining Nato. They wanted in so bad that they basically blackmailed Bill Clinton to get in. They fucking wish there was a CIA conspiracy or coup to force them into Nato, they would have taken that choice immediately.

It took the Poles 8-9 years of screaming to be let in and in the end them making public statements about the Democrats being weaker than the Republicans on european security to embarass Clinton before it all got done. They only promised to stop embarassing Clinton when he promised to fast track their membership and actually get it done.

Last edited:
Because votes are counted according to state law by your constitution.

Why do I know this and you don't?
First of all, I pay little to no attention to this political shit for the most part. It's all junk and both sides of the table are trash in almost every single instance, and nothing really ever changes, so it's one pointless and boring reality show mired in its 248th awful season.

Secondly, you're talking about how votes are counted? Yes, I know that they are counted at the state level. Given that they're fucking done manually at a local post office or school, I don't know how else they'd be counted.

But that's different than how votes need to be cast. And maybe there's something from the 1700s that says votes need to be cast in your state with your eldest donkey as a witness, but I somehow doubt it. It's a federal election. If the federal government created an online method by which to cast a vote for President, then there'd be no physical ballots to count at any level, state or federal. Why would there need to be a paper ballot that some moron who flunked high school in his local district needs to physically count? Voting should be done the same way that I pay my taxes from my computer in California and it goes straight to the feds in Washington where they can count it at their leisure or maybe allow their computers to do that for them. The FEC is different than the IRS in any way that matters that they can't have an online process for receiving votes the way the IRS receives taxes?

If so, it would be the stupidest thing ever, but it has nothing to do with the US not being as digitized as Estonia, or the Republicans being the only assholes out there that don't want it done, or that it's more safe or reliable to have biased fuckfaces at each voting spot count ballots rather than have it done securely online with every cybersecurity company double and triple protecting it.

Btw there is online voting in the US.

but only for some vets and some disabled. And mostly only in blue states.
If it's good for a small segment, then it should be good for everyone.

And if it's already done, then that means that we're sufficiently digitized in the US (shocked!), that there's no issue with the State having to count votes, and there isn't any more concern for fraud than the traditional method.

In other words, there's zero reason not to roll it out in a comprehensive way and eventually (soon) make it the exclusive method.

Secondly, you're talking about how votes are counted?

Yes. The votes have to be counted in accordance with state law. I've explained this already and why it's a problem for online voting. The current US election system is a frankenstein of state level election laws functioning under a federal umbrella that tries to keep it from being too much of a shit show but has limited power to actually do anything because as noted, the right to set their own election laws (aka, the right to count the votes) is a state level right set out in the constitution. To implement online voting, you would have to get every state to agree to count online votes and that's just not happening. As mentioned by someone else, US servicemembers can vote online....in some states. Despite identification verification obviously not being a problem, most states just don't allow it and they can't be forced to.

The federal government could design the online system, magically ensure everyone had access to it, that everyone had a device capable of using it, training on how to use it, etc, etc, etc....and if Alabama says they're not counting online votes, there's literally nothing the federal government can do to make them do it.

Last edited:
If it's good for a small segment, then it should be good for everyone.

And if it's already done, then that means that we're sufficiently digitized in the US (shocked!), that there's no issue with the State having to count votes, and there isn't any more concern for fraud than the traditional method.

In other words, there's zero reason not to roll it out in a comprehensive way and eventually (soon) make it the exclusive method.

one party keeps trying to make voting easier and more efficient.

the other party blocked it. this also happens to be the party that just passed a bill in the house to make voting much harder.

First of all, I pay little to no attention to this political shit for the most part. It's all junk and both sides of the table are trash in almost every single instance, and nothing really ever changes, so it's one pointless and boring reality show mired in its 248th awful season.

Secondly, you're talking about how votes are counted? Yes, I know that they are counted at the state level. Given that they're fucking done manually at a local post office or school, I don't know how else they'd be counted.

But that's different than how votes need to be cast. And maybe there's something from the 1700s that says votes need to be cast in your state with your eldest donkey as a witness, but I somehow doubt it. It's a federal election. If the federal government created an online method by which to cast a vote for President, then there'd be no physical ballots to count at any level, state or federal. Why would there need to be a paper ballot that some moron who flunked high school in his local district needs to physically count? Voting should be done the same way that I pay my taxes from my computer in California and it goes straight to the feds in Washington where they can count it at their leisure or maybe allow their computers to do that for them. The FEC is different than the IRS in any way that matters that they can't have an online process for receiving votes the way the IRS receives taxes?

If so, it would be the stupidest thing ever, but it has nothing to do with the US not being as digitized as Estonia, or the Republicans being the only assholes out there that don't want it done, or that it's more safe or reliable to have biased fuckfaces at each voting spot count ballots rather than have it done securely online with every cybersecurity company double and triple protecting it.

states run all elections.

that's how america works.

View: https://x.com/atrupar/status/1811905647203475927

leonardo-dicaprio-wolf-of-wallstreet.gif

I don’t know how voting for President is a state thing. Either way, if there was political will on either side, this would get done. It won’t stay this way forever, and theres no reason why now is any worse or harder than later.
The Constitution.. the States handle the Elections...

Article I, Section 4, Clause 1:

The Times, Places and Manner of holding Elections for Senators and Representatives, shall be prescribed in each State by the Legislature thereof; but the Congress may at any time by Law make or alter such Regulations, except as to the Places of chusing Senators.

Sorry that wasn't the President:

Article II, Section 1​

The executive Power shall be vested in a President of the United States of America. He shall hold his Office during the Term of four Years, and, together with the Vice President, chosen for the same Term, be elected, as follows

Each State shall appoint, in such Manner as the Legislature thereof may direct, a Number of Electors, equal to the whole Number of Senators and Representatives to which the State may be entitled in the Congress: but no Senator or Representative, or Person holding an Office of Trust or Profit under the United States, shall be appointed an Elector.

The Electors shall meet in their respective States, and vote by Ballot for two Persons, of whom one at least shall not be an Inhabitant of the same State with themselves. And they shall make a List of all the Persons voted for, and of the Number of Votes for each; which List they shall sign and certify, and transmit sealed to the Seat of the Government of the United States, directed to the President of the Senate. The President of the Senate shall, in the Presence of the Senate and House of Representatives, open all the Certificates, and the Votes shall then be counted. The Person having the greatest Number of Votes shall be the President, if such Number be a Majority of the whole Number of Electors appointed; and if there be more than one who have such Majority, and have an equal Number of Votes, then the House of Representatives shall immediately chuse by Ballot one of them for President; and if no Person have a Majority, then from the five highest on the List the said House shall in like Manner chuse the President. But in chusing the President, the Votes shall be taken by States, the Representation from each State having one Vote; A quorum for this Purpose shall consist of a Member or Members from two thirds of the States, and a Majority of all the States shall be necessary to a Choice. In every Case, after the Choice of the President, the Person having the greatest Number of Votes of the Electors shall be the Vice President. But if there should remain two or more who have equal Votes, the Senate shall chuse from them by Ballot the Vice President.

The Congress may determine the Time of chusing the Electors, and the Day on which they shall give their Votes; which Day shall be the same throughout the United States.

Last edited:
Back