• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

OT: American Politics

1) Only about 60% of "hispanics" are from countries where the US has undocumented immigration problems with.
2) "Hispanics" aren't a monolith politically, at all. Even within the largest group, Mexicans, political opinions vary pretty massively by age, urban/rural, etc.
Re: 2) I realize, they are very religious and thus can skew conservative, especially cubans. Had a Venezuelan neighbor (older guy in 70s') at my old house who was one of the biggest and most vocal Trump supporters I've ever met. His grandkids he watched (probably both 3rd grade and lower at the time) regularly watched OAN and live trump rallies on youtube. I was blown away.

I would love an AOC presidency or even candidacy just to see the meltdown from @LeafOfFaith. Also the memes

YIh6AEH.png

If we're just speaking on Mexicans, they don't tend to vote with their religiousity. It's almost all economics for them and they're quite far left of, let's call them for the sake of this conversation....traditional Americans on economic issues (policies to lessen income inequality and improve government services are quite popular culturally everywhere in latin america).

Democrats made a bit of a generational mistake with Mexican voters by assuming that immigration is the most important issue with them and it's not and never really has been. It's on the list of issues, but it's not the most important by any stretch. Economy, wages, employment win by a lot.

Some polling from 2022

- Only 40% said it was important to make immigrating to the US easier
- Only 38% wanted the US to accept more refugees from Latin America

But on the flip side

- Only 34% said more border security was important
- Only 17% said deporting undocumented immigrants was important.

So they're more of a "fine with the status quo" and interested in other issues than they are in alignment with either the left or the right on the issue.

I think Joe's plan here has been to drag it long enough till it's impossible for anyone else to realistically run.

He knows the calls for him to quit will stop sometime soon if he just hangs in there.

Incredible ego, insane level of chutzpah to stick with it despite a zillion Dems begging for him to leave.

If he somehow wins, that is going to be the ultimate. He'll probably die peacefully in his sleep in January.

A huge percentage of undocumenteds live with family that are US citizens.

Unity for some citizens.
Someone in my family has exactly this issue here. It's crazy sad that they can't just create a fucking path for law abiding, contributing members of society. And if not for everyone, then at minimum for the ones whose whole families are with them and who'd have to move somewhere alone if they can't stay.

Back