• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

OT: American Politics

It's fair! He's running for an important gig. He's not running for senior rep at the local seniors home.

to be clear, as "biden must go" guy, I obviously think the criticism is fair and warranted

what might be unfair, is looking at every step he takes with a magnifying glass

bottom line: he can't duck high stress events like debates without coming across as weak

but just some old guy at the old folks home...would he actually win that election?

Against a 77 yr old pathological liar who wears diapers....smells like he does and is running against him on a platform of giving everyone's meds to the 3 rich guys in the old folks home?

Yeah.

to be clear, as "biden must go" guy, I obviously think the criticism is fair and warranted

what might be unfair, is looking at every step he takes with a magnifying glass

bottom line: he can't duck high stress events like debates without coming across as weak
I agree but it's even weaker to show up and look like he did last time. Do we think he has it in him to be any better? Maybe? But if there was a bookie that would take my Canadian bet at even odds, I'd bet against that.

Against a 77 yr old pathological liar who wears diapers....smells like he does and is running against him on a platform of giving everyone's meds to the 3 rich guys in the old folks home?

Yeah.
No, just against some other old guy who was never in politics. Not even a guy with flair or anything. Just a normal old guy who didn't have similar cognitive decline issues.

I really doubt he'd come out on top there. He's running on his name here, not on his ability to actually do the job as needed.

I agree but it's even weaker to show up and look like he did last time. Do we think he has it in him to be any better? Maybe? But if there was a bookie that would take my Canadian bet at even odds, I'd bet against that.
And to your point, I guess that's why you say there's minimal upside and nearly all potential risk/downside for him to continue the run.

Reactions: CH1

I don't have it in me to watch, tbh

Do we think he has it in him to be any better?

I mean, omit the first 10 minutes and it was just a normal bad performance not the fucking disasterclass it ended up being. The next day he looked fine at a campaign event. He's looked fine in interviews since, so it's not just a teleprompter thing either. He's had his seniors moments since, though nothing nearly as bad as at the debate.

He's got it in him to be much better than the performance in the first debate. #Naps2024

I like the optimism. Once he's confirmed as the "guy" I'll be fully on board #TeamNaps. Until then, I'm highly skeptical that his cognitive ability improves at his age and now freshly after a covid infection to boot.

But... I still think it's a coin flip at best that he sticks around. So we shall see.

Don't guys in their early 80s typically see a sharp uptick in cognitive abilities during a run for the White House?

Or has it never been tried?

I'm not suggesting an uptick. I'm suggesting that we all have gradients from our worst to our best. The debate performance appears to be Joe's worst, or close. We haven't seen that level of struggle since. We've seen seniors moments, but the debate sure looks like it was the worst he's got. On the flip side, he sounds old but composed and intelligent in the Lester Hoult interview.

Just looked back and no one else is even close.

Other than Trump, it doesn't look like any of the other oldest presidents were even 70 when they left office.

Just looked back and no one else is even close.

Other than Trump, it doesn't look like any of the other oldest presidents were even 70 when they left office.

It's a general trend in US politics overall with people just not giving up power until they fall out of their chairs. If you look at the 4 most powerful politicians in the US, arguably it's Joe, Trump, Mitch, and Nancy. 81, 77, 82, and 84.

I mean he'll be better with just the basic fact of getting him to stop trying to recite statistics, and just get pissed off instead. But if there's any question, they'll inject him with a speedball. There's no chance he can get away with not doing the 2nd debate, though.

Back