• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

OT: American Politics

Kinzinger's cool, definitely offer him a position in the administration if he's interested. But they do need to stop suggesting a Republican on the ticket.

That being said, he does make a strong argument here about why Mark Kelly makes a lot of sense.

View: https://x.com/PaulRieckhoff/status/1815583010277724651

View: https://x.com/PaulRieckhoff/status/1815583471521210853

View: https://x.com/PaulRieckhoff/status/1815584055385374881

View: https://x.com/PaulRieckhoff/status/1815584801748824115

View: https://x.com/PaulRieckhoff/status/1815585778396774463

View: https://x.com/PaulRieckhoff/status/1815586469324493050

Sanders is on CNN - hasn't endorsed. Says he wants to talk to her first and make sure her agenda speaks to the needs of working families.

Critical of corporate media and wealthy donors for pushing Biden out.

He was very pro Biden on last Thursdays colbert

He makes a good case for Kelly, but the wrong case for Kelly.

Kelly is a good candidate for VP because he's a good candidate for VP from an important state to secure in this race. Not because he's the closest thing to a republican in the party, yadda yadda. There's this ongoing fiction that democrats need to keep moving further and further to the right to get elected and it's just not fucking true.

He makes a good case for Kelly, but the wrong case for Kelly.

Kelly is a good candidate for VP because he's a good candidate for VP from an important state to secure in this race. Not because he's the closest thing to a republican in the party, yadda yadda. There's this ongoing fiction that democrats need to keep moving further and further to the right to get elected and it's just not fucking true.
Joe Biden was always a centrist, and always had some appeal to people in the middle. Kamala isn't perceived that way, and I do think she's in trouble if she can't get enough independents and Never-Trumpers on board.

I agree they shouldn't add a Republican to the ticket, which is why I mentioned that at the top. But it's not a bad thing to have a guy like this on the ticket, considered relatively moderate, liked by independents and has charisma and cachet for his work in the military and as an astronaut.

You have to remember that America is a much more conservative country than Canada, Kelly's appeal to the middle and to military families can bring a lot of people on board, in addition to his main purpose of securing Arizona. Astronaut and not a Washington insider are 2 huge bonuses.

I think he makes a good case for Kelly but he really loses me with the coronated undemocratically bit.
Agree, I thought about cutting that tweet cause that part's dumb but decided to just include the entire thread.

Joe Biden was always a centrist, and always had some appeal to people in the middle. Kamala isn't perceived that way, and I do think she's in trouble if she can't get enough independents and Never-Trumpers on board.

I agree they shouldn't add a Republican to the ticket, which is why I mentioned that at the top. But it's not a bad thing to have a guy like this on the ticket, considered relatively moderate, liked by independents and has charisma and cachet for his work in the military and as an astronaut.

You have to remember that America is a much more conservative country than Canada, Kelly's appeal to the middle and to military families can bring a lot of people on board, in addition to his main purpose of security Arizona.

Yeah, like I said, Kelly is a good candidate but like 70% of his utility would be in bringing in Arizona, not for what he adds ideologically to the ticket imo. We're at a point where the votes in 3-6 states decide the whole thing and the voting groups in each state aren't uniform.

All I'm saying is that there's constantly think pieces in the US trying to drag democrats further right, when they walk away with elections when they focus on strong economy, labour rights, women's reproductive rights, gun control, medicare for all, etc, etc. Americans love their right wing mythologies in public, and their left wing policies in private.

The best thing about Kelly is that thing where he’ll never sound like the typical Democrat even when mouthing all the talking points.

some voters find that re-assuring

Roy Cooper has some of that, but he ain’t no cool astronaut

The best thing about Kelly is that thing where he’ll never sound like the typical Democrat even when mouthing all the talking points.

some voters find that re-assuring

Roy Cooper has some of that, but he ain’t no cool astronaut

I'm agnostic on this pick. This is one they can take a bit of time with, see what kind of bump Kamala creates in the polls and see which state needs the most help to secure it. Penn-Michigan-Arizona-NC-Georgia in that order imo. Just work through the list until you get to a state you're nervous about losing.

Yeah, like I said, Kelly is a good candidate but like 70% of his utility would be in bringing in Arizona, not for what he adds ideologically to the ticket imo. We're at a point where the votes in 3-6 states decide the whole thing and the voting groups in each state aren't uniform.

All I'm saying is that there's constantly think pieces in the US trying to drag democrats further right, when they walk away with elections when they focus on strong economy, labour rights, women's reproductive rights, gun control, medicare for all, etc, etc. Americans love their right wing mythologies in public, and their left wing policies in private.
70% is probably about right, but maybe it's 60% if he brings in some extra turnout. Several of these swing states could come down to 50,000 votes or less and while I think Kamala should do great with women, African-Americans and the base, adding a bunch of independent and military votes could put a state or two over the top.

Obviously they're going to need to thoroughly investigate these guys, and they should take their time. But as of right now it's Kelly or Shapiro for me, Pennsylvania may be crucial. I don't know much about Roy Cooper but I'll keep him 3rd on the list for now.

Back