• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

OT: American Politics

Yes. The people vote for their representative, and their representative makes judgements on lots of issues.

I know you guys would rather be governed by "experts" on their mountain top behind a green curtain who no one has power to anoint as the experts.
I don't think you actually understand the concept of expertise.

yes, I would rather have someone making decisions about financial policy who has spent years studying and learning about financial policy, than some schmuck who has no idea how it works.

you're telling on yourself here.

So a newspaper, who is supposed to be neutral in their coverage and ability to hold public officials accountable to the public, not endorsing a candidate is a bad thing?

I really don't understand these takes. Why should a company or news media ever HAVE to endorse a candidate?
your ability to either deliberately or through ignorance miss the point every time is honestly impressive.

the issue here is that newsrooms should be able to operate independently of ownership. Bezos should not be dictating what a newspaper publishes, or does not. editorial decisions should be made by the editors, not Bezos.

when that separation evaporates, so does the free press...

yes, I would rather have someone making decisions about financial policy who has spent years studying and learning about financial policy, than some schmuck who has no idea how it works.

somewhere along the way every schmuck who watched a tiktok or listened to a podcast about a subject decided spending years in a field was useless and they knew better.

Because that guy has no biases? No conflicts of interests? And what's the check on him in case he does? There are none. You're at the whim of their decisions, an actual "king".

You're just showing how you don't believe in democracy. Finally saying the quiet part out loud.

your ability to either deliberately or through ignorance miss the point every time is honestly impressive.

the issue here is that newsrooms should be able to operate independently of ownership. Bezos should not be dictating what a newspaper publishes, or does not. editorial decisions should be made by the editors, not Bezos.

when that separation evaporates, so does the free press...
Oh man lecturing on the ethics of the media is rich

uh I think you're actually thinking of a monarchy. or dictatorship. yah, dictatorship.
The government only has power because citizens grant it power via the election of their representatives. Unelected representatives unilaterally creating policy is the oligarchy term you were searching for I believe.

If he makes changes to a regulatory agency that prove unlawful then I'm sure it will be resolved in court. Checks and balances and all.
Following that nasty constitution is a tricky thing.

Explain to me how Trump plans on putting his hand on the bible and swearing an oath to your god to defend the constitution, will immediately recant and tear up said constitution that he just told god that he will protect and defend?

Because that guy has no biases? No conflicts of interests? And what's the check on him in case he does? There are none. You're at the whim of their decisions, an actual "king".

You're just showing how you don't believe in democracy. Finally saying the quiet part out loud.
I started drafting a long response to this, but it's not worth it. as per usual, there is absolutely no connection between your conclusions and anything else in your post.

you just conclude whatever the fuck you want, and literally ignore all facts and evidence. as you're doing here.

your conclusion is the opposite of what anyone with a modicum of common sense would reach.

you are the one who supports a king making all decisions without qualification. I'm saying the opposite. christ.

and please explain how... believing in education and expertise is somehow antithetical to democracy, but supporting a fascist wannabe dictator isn't.

Back