• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

OT: Coronavirus Resources - and other things to not worry about

More and more data kinda showing that a third dose may give us a 1 year of solid protection.. Or potentially even more than a year. Feels like this could have been the case with covid 1.0 after 2 doses but delta changed the game and now an increased amount of neutralizing antibody titers are required for strong protection on a variant that fires off 1000x or more viral load at you.

The next bit will be crucial of course.. How quickly does immunity wane post-booster compared to post dose 2? It's all an educated guessing game until we get actual real live data, likely from Israel in the coming months!

I guess the same reason my husband and I couldn’t book our jab for the same time. While you are booking your spot someone else is in the process of booking the next slot.

I would have thought that doing most of the vaccinations in the schools and let pharmacies pick up the rest would simplify things.

I'm going into hibernation this winter as I usually do but once Mrs. Preston and I get boosted and the wee little one gets needled up, that's it. After that I'm not sure there's much of a reason for a crazy amount of caution unless you're old as shit or immunocompromised. And for that group, I think treatments will be the gamechanger providing we implement the proper infrastructure in the medical system to get the antivirals into people immediately upon symptom onset.

Based on most data breakthrough infections slice your hospitalization and long covid risk in half compared to unvaxxed.. So long covid odds are down to around 5% and hospitalization risk depends on your age. And if boosted your odds of catching it are gonna be lower providing there isn't much covid transmission around (if covid is surging in your area your odds of catching it increase a shit ton even if boosted.. you're just less of a sitting duck than the unvaxxed; important to keep that distinction in mind when understanding risk management). The more people that actually get boosted the better of course. That is what will ultimately normalize things for us a poopton more. Population immunity >>> individual immunity.

So it's gonna be about conceptualizing the risk for you and your family and doing what you feel comfortable with when all is said and done. And if this booster program is successful and we get enough folks needled up for dose 3 (call it a 3 dose vaccine and not a boost if that helps with messaging)... AND the waning isn't too substantial by 6-7 months this could be our most normal spring/summer since 2019 coming up, although the last 2 summers were pretty fucking normal at least for me. Variants are always the x-factor of course.

I guess the same reason my husband and I couldn’t book our jab for the same time. While you are booking your spot someone else is in the process of booking the next slot.

I would have thought that doing most of the vaccinations in the schools and let pharmacies pick up the rest would simplify things.

Dougie likes to help SDM profit off of this pandemic.

I'm going into hibernation this winter as I usually do but once Mrs. Preston and I get boosted and the wee little one gets needled up, that's it. After that I'm not sure there's much of a reason for a crazy amount of caution unless you're old as shit or immunocompromised. And for that group, I think treatments will be the gamechanger providing we implement the proper infrastructure in the medical system to get the antivirals into people immediately upon symptom onset.

Based on most data breakthrough infections slice your hospitalization and long covid risk in half compared to unvaxxed.. So long covid odds are down to around 5% and hospitalization risk depends on your age. And if boosted your odds of catching it are gonna be lower providing there isn't much covid transmission around (if covid is surging in your area your odds of catching it increase a shit ton even if boosted.. you're just less of a sitting duck than the unvaxxed; important to keep that distinction in mind when understanding risk management). The more people that actually get boosted the better of course. That is what will ultimately normalize things for us a poopton more. Population immunity >>> individual immunity.

So it's gonna be about conceptualizing the risk for you and your family and doing what you feel comfortable with when all is said and done. And if this booster program is successful and we get enough folks needled up for dose 3 (call it a 3 dose vaccine and not a boost if that helps with messaging)... AND the waning isn't too substantial by 6-7 months this could be our most normal spring/summer since 2019 coming up, although the last 2 summers were pretty fucking normal at least for me. Variants are always the x-factor of course.
agreed

post booster and with treatments coming this will be about as good as it gets

enjoy the pockets of time to be normalish

That chart is interesting. I've never heard "the Beatles never existed"before. William Campbell must feel quite the fool. 🎸

I'll personally be maintaining a healthy level of caution until treatments are a thing.

Data for the long covid bit btw

Seems like it cuts things like hospitalizations and deaths in half-ish too (and even more in the older groups). So basically you're getting an alpha or maybe original covid illness in terms of severity if infected while vaxxed (on average of course... Symptoms vary so much between people). The key bit will be whether antivirals can knock it down another ~50% for vaxxed folks. Pfizer's data looks even better than that for high risk unvaxxed but I'm not expecting that level of efficacy go sustain for lower risk vaxxed. I'd take further defanging of another 50% or so any fucking day. That's about when we might potentially slowly approach flu severity (which still can be quite severe especially since this is a super mega transmissible version of the flu, but it'll be way more manageable and sustainable than currently).

Last edited:
Data for the long covid bit btw

Seems like it cuts things like hospitalizations and deaths in half-ish too (and even more in the older groups). So basically you're getting an alpha or maybe original covid illness in terms of severity if infected while vaxxed (on average of course... Symptoms vary so much between people). The key bit will be whether antivirals can knock it down another ~50% for vaxxed folks. Pfizer's data looks even better than that for high risk unvaxxed but I'm not expecting that level of efficacy go sustain for lower risk vaxxed. I'd take further defanging of another 50% or so any fucking day. That's about when we might potentially slowly approach flu severity (which still can be quite severe especially since this is a super mega transmissible version of the flu, but it'll be way more manageable and sustainable than currently).

You want the anti inflammation drugs that protect the organs for treatment ;)

You want the anti inflammation drugs that protect the organs for treatment ;)
Why not both! Drug cocktails vastly outperform single medicines when treating most things! I think the Merck + Pfizer combo is already in trials right now since they work a bit differently.

Back