• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

OT: Movies/TV Shows

Saul has been super strong thus far. Gilligan really is a master at his craft. Can't wait for more BB references in future episodes.

Aquaman-Jason-Momoa-1.png

Not sure I buy it.

Tough to think of Aquaman as this dark character when he's always portrayed as blond with that colorful costume.

Not sure I buy it.

Tough to think of Aquaman as this dark character when he's always portrayed as blond with that colorful costume.

My favourite depiction of Aquaman was in the flashpoint stuff, where he was way more brutal and imperious than I had previously seen him.

But even there, he looked like Aquaman.

Brutal and all that is fine, but the aesthetic of the character is tough to see in Momoa.

They tried to toughen him up on Justice League by giving him ripped abs, a goatee, and a hook for a hand which he sacrificed to save his son....but Aquaman will never truly get over Super Friends.

The "gritty" gimmick has become a bit of a overplayed crutch of late......when done right, it's fine, but for the most part it's just become something to lean on because the material itself isn't strong enough to stand on its own.

Hell, it's been an issue in comics since Dark Knight Returns & The Watchmen brought gritty deconstructionism to the medium in the 80's.....and just as everyone copied Miller & Moore because of how their work transcended comics, now every comic book movie is copying Nolan.

Hopefully at some point someone will have both the balls and the talent to do something fresh.....in comics it was guys like Darwyne Cooke with 'DC New Frontier' or Grant Morrison with his Batman run, or his brilliant 'All-Star Superman'.....or even Mark Waid's most recent Daredevil run, that went more pop-art in style, versus the dark gritty material Brubaker & Bendis had been doing, which itself was a send up to Frank Miller's Daredevil work from the 80's.

Aquaman would have been an interesting character to go another route with and try to be a little original, given how low value the franchise is in general.......that said, I understand it from the studios standpoint. They want to milk this formula they have for everything it's got.

Back