• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

OT: Soccer thread

So in other local soccer news:

3000+ toronto fans traveled to montreal for the opening game last season and now we have to reciprocate the deal. On Oct 18th this year 1700 tickets have been made available to the montreal supporter club as well as Impact SSH.

This game is likely to be meaningless for the impact as they have been utterly terrible this season but very well could be a huge game for TFC. This will likely be the craziest sporting atmosphere in Toronto this year.

with 1700 seats being set aside as well as ~350 SSH being relocated for the game tickets may be hard to come by but look early if you are interested. Montreal will be in sections 225, 226, 227

gyebsGi.jpg

Bob McCown ‏@FadooBobcat

MLSE will not buy Argos and move them to BMO. Asking price was 10 million+ percentage of future Grey Cup revenue. Deal is dead.

carlton-dance-o.gif

Which makes me wonder if the CFL has a future in Toronto.

Not that I care, but I wonder.

Move them to Milton or Oshawa... I don't see fan base as a downtown core type.

Also folding them is an option and I don't want to hear the "history" argument... if we can let an American own and be the CEO of the Hudson Bay company nothing else should get to claim "importance due to history"

A move to the Burbs would probably do them best, a rapidly growing city like Mississauga could probably be talked into helping out with a parcel of land close to a major highway artery. I just look at how they're being treated like a red headed stepchild by all the venue owners that could house them, and the financial reality is that the Argos aren't building their own stadium anywhere close to downtown.

They were pretty heavy in talks with the CSA on building a joint facility at one point years ago, but with BMO field being an obvious footy venue, I don't know if the CSA would bother re opening that discussion.

A move to the Burbs would probably do them best, a rapidly growing city like Mississauga could probably be talked into helping out with a parcel of land close to a major highway artery. I just look at how they're being treated like a red headed stepchild by all the venue owners that could house them, and the financial reality is that the Argos aren't building their own stadium anywhere close to downtown.

They were pretty heavy in talks with the CSA on building a joint facility at one point years ago, but with BMO field being an obvious footy venue, I don't know if the CSA would bother re opening that discussion.

As far as I understand it they pulled out of varsity stadium, York stadium, and BMO because they were not prepared to put in a cent. I have also heard rumblings that a city in the 905 has offered land and to subsidize the building of a stadium but that was a long time ago (at least a year) but they didn't want to leave the core. The CSA has a facility and it's BMO in fact the CSa offices are right next to the TFC offices (although most people have moved to the ACC now) and this can keep BMO as the National Soccer Stadium.

Hopefully I will see a new stadium plan in the coming weeks for BMO because a reno will take place as they want expanded seating for TFC as well as potential special events.

Move them to Milton or Oshawa... I don't see fan base as a downtown core type.

Also folding them is an option and I don't want to hear the "history" argument... if we can let an American own and be the CEO of the Hudson Bay company nothing else should get to claim "importance due to history"

I think George Gillette purchasing the Habs put an end to that argument. Or hell, the Glazer family purchasing Manchester United.

Honest question; does anyone even know somebody under the age of 30 (or even 40) who actually gives a shit about the Argos?

I know I don't.

I'm not even really any kind of soccer fan, but considering the rabid support that exists for Toronto FC, it always seemed like a crazy idea to negatively impact FC's stadium to accommodate a sporting franchise that such a small (and growing smaller) group of people care about.

Yeah, I don't know anyone who gives a ****. I have buddies that have tried out for the Argos, played for their rookie team, etc and even they don't watch CFL football.

I know one friend who is a CFL nut and he gets mocked mercilessly by everyone else, all of whom have strong NFL allegiances and only occasionally reference the CFL to mock it.

Have 0 friends who care about the CFL... my uncle does care but its 4th or 5th on his sporting radar.

I realize that somebody likes the CFL and somebody needs the CFL but Toronto is neither. They have had many chances to find a home and have failed , now is not the time to take the failure of a team in a small league out on a national sport that is gaining support.

In typical Canadian soccer fashion we have another player who is Canadian but playing for another country. Marcos Bustos a Vancouver Whitecaps Academy player and a former U-17 Canadian player is now playing U-20 for Chile.

Personally if this player is serious about turning his back on Canada I would like to see Vancouver do the right thing and drop him from the organization entirely, no more putting up with this shit.

We definitely need a generation to step up, agree to the growing pains with Team Canada, and once we get going it should get easier to keep the kids in our system.

We definitely need a generation to step up, agree to the growing pains with Team Canada, and once we get going it should get easier to keep the kids in our system.

I was naive to think things had changed, we have had Fraser Aird commit to us, have heard rumblings that Junior Hoilett is close to committing but somethings will never end until we finally get some damn pride in that shirt.

Evolution works in the millions of years range...people don't change quickly. I think once it starts it will get better quickly, but getting that start is the issue.

Evolution works in the millions of years range...people don't change quickly. I think once it starts it will get better quickly, but getting that start is the issue.

Yep the best thing that could happen right now is the Whitecaps dropping him and him blackballed by the rest of the Canadian teams. Show players that if you want our resources it is not acceptable to play for another country.

Back