• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

OT: The Official Toronto Raptors Thread

Don’t mind signing pascal back. I just think you need to pick two of the three. Don’t see a team that Scottie and pascal can co exist. UNLESS. Scottie adds the 3pt shot at a reasonable rate. Then that changes the conversation all together.

It's part of the reason I'm good with just reupping everyone, adding shooters and running this shit back.

1) There are no studs likely to get traded this summer that I want. Utah already detonated, Brooklyn already detonated. I don't want Dame, don't want Trae, no one wants Beal. Only guys to keep an eye on for the next 12 months are LaMelo, Dejuante Murray, Zach Lavine. But none of those 3 are 1st team All NBA types.

2) Tanking is for mouth breathers

3) There are some maybe situations that could start to form 12-18 months out. Luka isn't going to put up with having nothing around him forever. Shai & Haliburton probably won't want to tough it out in small markets if they don't start making real playoff appearances within the next 2 years. When do the Lakers detonate and what does a 31 yr old Anthony Davis look like?
Reupping everyone means being in luxury tax on a team missing Batman, I don’t see it.

yeah I don't see what choice the Raps have other than go with what they've got. No top 10 player=no success, so if you can't get that right now, then you have wait for your next Kawhi opportunity. I think there is some merit to what Mindz has mentioned in the past in regard to blowing it up in a market that is an NBA outpost at the best of times. It's a lot easier to do that in a place where guys line up to go to.

yeah I don't see what choice the Raps have other than go with what they've got. No top 10 player=no success, so if you can't get that right now, then you have wait for your next Kawhi opportunity. I think there is some merit to what Mindz has mentioned in the past in regard to blowing it up in a market that is an NBA outpost at the best of times. It's a lot easier to do that in a place where guys line up to go to.
Very few difference makers are ever available and TO isnt a preferred destination

The Kawai find is a once a decade at best opportunity and he was never going to reup here

I cant see 100-120+ mil being dished out retaining this core before you even look at filling the other 10+ spots

I can see a huge deal where lets say Fred and OG go and the raps get solid up and coming players and draft capital to provide better depth and balance

OG and Siakam are due extensions next summer. Probably have to pick which one you want to keep and move the other. I don’t think we have the roster fit for both or the cap space for it.

Losing good players for nothing should not be an option. There is a possibility all 3 of FVV, Trent and Poeltl walk this offseason. Unlikely but possible.

Agreed. But I think you actively start looking at what pascal can get you

Oh, absolutely. If you can run head first in to a desperate team (Portland, Denver, Philly, Phoenix, etc) and pry good young or in prime pieces plus a bunch of futures that can be packaged later, I think you do it.

But patience is the key, completely. Think of all of the times we could have blown up the DD-Lowry teams and didn't. That's gotta be the way forward here too.

Losing good players for nothing should not be an option. There is a possibility all 3 of FVV, Trent and Poeltl walk this offseason. Unlikely but possible.

Meh, worry about it if it happens. Fred got offered a fair deal last summer and bet on himself. One of the benefits of bringing in Jakob by trade was having his bird rights to go over the cap if necessary when he's re signed, and Trent...whatever. I'm good with a S&T for a 1st and a few bench pieces or package him up with Thad's non guaranteed deal and go fishing for something bigger. Check in with Minnesota on a buy low with Rudy, or see if Chicago wants to detonate and get rid of Zach Lavine's money. Lavine is honestly the kind of individual shot creator that would look really, really good as a primary offensive option here. Push Pascal to 2nd, and Fred to more spot up duties.

don't we think Masai knows what Pascal could get them by now though?

Market changes though. Phoenix for example...that is a short ass window they've got. Denver also might consider changes if they don't get out of the west, how many years of Joker doing historic shit are you going to waste before you stop being patient? Wtf is Portland doing? Trading Dame or giving him another all star to work with?

As situations change, the market for an in prime star like Pascal can change significantly.

Last edited:
The more I think about it, the more I like going after Lavine if Chicago is detonating (which they should consider).

He's more of a Fred & Pascal level (top 20-30 type player, not a top 10 obviously) star player but I think what he brings is what we need. A bit below average defensively but a quick trigger shooting guard who can create his own shot more or less whenever he needs to. Basically he's what Gary thinks he is. Gary on a 4/100 extension + Thad and stuff gets us there cap wise.

Chicago considers it because that core has flopped hard and isn't going anywhere, and Lavine's contract makes him less desirable than a player of his calibre otherwise would be (not too dissimilar to when Pascal signs for 40+).

C - Jake
PF - Pascal
SF - OG
SG - Lavine
PG - Fred
6 - Scottie
7 - Precious
8 to12 - Shooters & Koloko

The sort of unfortunate thing is that pascal 100% is talented enough to be the guy on a good team. He just chokes when the pressures on.

they might want to see what he does with a different coach and some different surrounding pieces before deciding on what to do there, unless they’re all in on Scottie.

Wonder if that “+” is the 13th.

Barnes to the bench is interesting. His 3rd year coming up is a big one. We’re pretty much going to find out how good he can be.

Wonder if that “+” is the 13th.

Barnes to the bench is interesting. His 3rd year coming up is a big one. We’re pretty much going to find out how good he can be.

I would probably do that. Gary + Thad + 13 for Zach.

As for Scottie to the bench, I don't think it's a big deal tbh. He kind of defies positional convention anyway. He's not really a NBA point guard despite his desire to be one, he's not a NBA wing because of the shooting. He's more of a modern NBA powerfoward but with that excellent vision giving him an extra dimension. Unless we trade Pascal though, we don't need a starting 4. Having Scottie be a 30 minute off of the bench guy would allow us to use him as a swiss army knife of sorts in a bunch of different lineup compositions. Run the point to rest Fred, Modern point-4 to rest pascal, big wing against certain matchups, small 5 against certain matchups.

Of course, if he takes a big step forward this off season he changes the conversation entirely and takes whatever role he wants. But he's not even 22 yet, he's still a puppy. There's only a handful of players in the NBA last season who were 21 or younger, played 25+ mpg, and had a positive BPM

Scottie
LaMelo
Anthony Edwards
Mobley
Jalen Williams
Giddey
Sengun

That's it. That's every starter or top of the rotation player under 22 yr old this season that was an above average NBA player (0.0 is floating average)

Expand that to under 23 and you only add

Vassell
KPJ
Keegan Murray
Maxey
Haliburton
Cole Anthony

Back