• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

OT: The Official Toronto Raptors Thread

Looks like there is going to be some changes in Cleveland.

Mitchell's futures needs to be decided and if he signs long-term then Garland wants to move.

They have found that they can't have 2 starting Centres on their roster, so one of Allen or Mobley should be available.

I wonder what it would take to get Mobley to the Raptors?

Looks like there is going to be some changes in Cleveland.

Mitchell's futures needs to be decided and if he signs long-term then Garland wants to move.

They have found that they can't have 2 starting Centres on their roster, so one of Allen or Mobley should be available.

I wonder what it would take to get Mobley to the Raptors?
A more realistic get would be Allen

Man OKC needed just something extra to push them over the top. Giddy had to give them something. I expect they will try to add a little more grit to their team for next season. Their future is bright as hell.

I love what OKC is doing there, and I love Chet. But they have a glaring weakness that Dallas exploited a lot in that series.

Shai outplayed Luka and it didn't matter in the end. Kyrie didn't even average 16 a game and it didn't matter in the end.

The difference between the two was this imo, Dallas had this guy:

Daniel Gafford/Derrick Lively

46MP, 17.7ppg, 15.2rpg, 3.2bpg

Dallas won Gafford's minutes with 121-110 per 100 possessions, easily leading the team.

I don't care what you call it, traditional centre, rim runner, small forward with an eating problem, whatever. You need someone who does the dirty work. They don't need to dominate like prime shaq or any of that shit, but the dirty work needs to get done. Defensive stops need to get finished with defensive rebounds, shots need to be contested around the rim. Dallas has it, OKC doesn't. I'm going to bet that Presti adds a big body C as the Chet backup this summer. They're actually a team that was rumoured to be interested in Jake fwiw.

A more realistic get would be Allen
I don't know, according to this Athletic article there is a big decision coming up with Mobley:

There are also questions of fit on the roster to work through, such as whether Allen and Mobley, two non-shooting bigs, can co-exist in the same starting unit, and whether Garland can thrive playing alongside Mitchell as two smaller guards who need the ball.

Mobley, the third overall pick in 2021, was runner-up as Rookie of the Year in 2022 and last season became the second-youngest player in league history to make the NBA’s All-Defensive first team. But his offensive game hasn’t progressed as quickly as the team expected alongside Allen in the frontcourt. However, while manning the center position in these playoffs, Mobley has seen an uptick: Entering Game 5 against Boston, Mobley was averaging 14.6 points, 10.7 rebounds and 2.1 blocks in seven playoff games as Cleveland’s center while playing with a sprained ankle. In Game 5, he posted a career-playoff-high 33 points.

Interestingly, Mobley’s representation, Wasserman, cautioned the Cavs prior to the 2021 draft not to select Mobley, league sources said. It is a common draft strategy among agents in an effort to get players to certain teams — in this instance, Oklahoma City. The Thunder made multiple offers for the Cavs’ No. 3 pick in the draft that year, league sources said. But the Cavs selected Mobley anyway, and the relationship has remained healthy and positive.

Mobley is now due an extension this summer, after his points per game dipped from 16.2 in 2022-23 to 15.7 this season. Mobley shot a career-best 37 percent from 3 this season but only averaged 1.2 attempts per game. His defensive ability and upside at 6-foot-11 make the 22-year-old a tantalizing player for the Cavs to prioritize moving forward, the type of high-upside player whom other teams could envision as a max-contract-caliber player.

The Cavs seem to be at their best offensively with only one big on the floor, but internally, the franchise believes Mobley’s situation is rare. The focus has been on winning games, not necessarily fully developing his talent, like most players selected third receive in their first few years in the league.

As for Allen, 26, he was arguably better this season than he was in his All-Star campaign from 2021-22. He averaged a career-high 16.5 points to go with 10.5 rebounds and was a rock for the Cavs while both Mobley and Garland were out for two months with surgeries. Before his injury, he was averaging 17 points and nearly 14 rebounds.

I love what OKC is doing there, and I love Chet. But they have a glaring weakness that Dallas exploited a lot in that series.

Shai outplayed Luka and it didn't matter in the end. Kyrie didn't even average 16 a game and it didn't matter in the end.

The difference between the two was this imo, Dallas had this guy:

Daniel Gafford/Derrick Lively

46MP, 17.7ppg, 15.2rpg, 3.2bpg

Dallas won Gafford's minutes with 121-110 per 100 possessions, easily leading the team.

I don't care what you call it, traditional centre, rim runner, small forward with an eating problem, whatever. You need someone who does the dirty work. They don't need to dominate like prime shaq or any of that shit, but the dirty work needs to get done. Defensive stops need to get finished with defensive rebounds, shots need to be contested around the rim. Dallas has it, OKC doesn't. I'm going to bet that Presti adds a big body C as the Chet backup this summer. They're actually a team that was rumoured to be interested in Jake fwiw.
Giddy for Jake?

I don't know, according to this Athletic article there is a big decision coming up with Mobley:

It depends on Spider. If Spider stays, trading Mobley-Garland (Garland wants out if Spider stays) for a 2nd veteran star is the move. But he's not staying, we know he's not staying. So the move is to sell Spider, sell Allen and reset around Mobley-Garland and who you get back (which would be quite a bit tbh).

That would be nice if Giddey's stock has taken that much of a hit, yeah.

Josh Giddey’s long-term fit enters the spotlight. Giddey was drafted as a tall guard with passing and playmaking skills but with concerns about his defense and shooting. He had an encouraging first season, winning Rookie of the Month four times. But the court calculus around him changed. Because of Gilgeous-Alexander’s explosion and Williams’ ascension, Giddey has been bumped to a lower-usage role mostly off the ball (where floor-spacing and defensive versatility are paramount).

That isn’t conducive to Giddey’s strengths and heightens his weaknesses. The Mavericks cross-matched their centers onto Giddey whenever he was on the floor in this series and parked them in the paint, unafraid that Giddey could burn them over the top. He didn’t. Giddey went 3-of-16 on 3s in the series and the Thunder lost his court time by 23 points.

Daigneault responded swiftly. They anticipated the Mavericks’ scheme and limited Giddey to 17, 11, 13, 12, 12 and 11 minutes in the six games, his six lowest minute totals since December. He didn’t start the second half of Games 2 and 4. He was replaced in the starting lineup by Isaiah Joe in Games 5 and 6.

The Thunder don’t necessarily have to decide on Giddey’s future this summer, but the urgency is rising. Next season, he will make a reasonable $8.3 million in the final year of his rookie deal, but he’s extension eligible this summer, which is typically long-term decision time on players. Because of how quickly they’ve entered contention, the fifth spot in the Thunder’s starting lineup (and their allocation of future funds) has grown in importance.

If they go searching for a veteran upgrade, Giddey profiles as a trade candidate if the Thunder compiled a package built around a chunk of their valuable first-rounders. That includes the 12th overall pick in June’s draft, obtained from the Rockets. The Thunder will get expensive soon — once the eventual big Williams and Holmgren contracts are due — but they will have some cap flexibility in the two seasons prior, depending on how they want to use it.

Back