• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

OT: The Official Toronto Raptors Thread

$5m a year literally makes no difference.

Would much rather have the 5th year than the extra 5 million in cap space from 4/120 tbh.

If we were looking at extending him in 3 years, and the NBA cap keeps going up the 10% max, that's a ~185 million dollar cap in the summer of 27. Which would put the 1st apron at somewhere around 210 million. If IQ is an all star calibre guard by then, we're talking about 50+ million on an extension. Yeah, gimme that 5th year at 35 now if we believe in the dude.

Even if he never lives up to this deal, it's the type of deal and player that we can flip in a trade for a star. We've talked about it a bunch, but NBA economics is simple. Don't let your good players walk away for nothing, ever. Always trade them before the end of the deal, or re sign them yourself and trade them later.

Would much rather have the 5th year than the extra 5 million in cap space from 4/120 tbh.

If we were looking at extending him in 3 years, and the NBA cap keeps going up the 10% max, that's a ~185 million dollar cap in the summer of 27. Which would put the 1st apron at somewhere around 210 million. If IQ is an all star calibre guard by then, we're talking about 50+ million on an extension. Yeah, gimme that 5th year at 35 now if we believe in the dude.

Even if he never lives up to this deal, it's the type of deal and player that we can flip in a trade for a star. We've talked about it a bunch, but NBA economics is simple. Don't let your good players walk away for nothing, ever. Always trade them before the end of the deal, or re sign them yourself and trade them later.

all i know about the NBA cap is that good teams seem to be able to add big salaries whenever they want, and we who are always way under the cap never seem to be able to.

all i know about the NBA cap is that good teams seem to be able to add big salaries whenever they want, and we who are always way under the cap never seem to be able to.

Yes and no. Having cap space is still having cap space but when you have tradeable salaries it just makes it way easier. The thing about clearing cap space to sign a free agent is that you need to have someone worth spending it on that wants to come to your city which usually means that you're kind of shit (Houston w/ Fred for example) or you're fortunate enough to have high level kids on their 1st or 2nd deals (OKC).

But yeah, having salaries to trade is the absolute best position to be imo. Same as I've argued for a decade now. Having a good core and being a good team puts you in a position to take advantage of a star player wanting a change of scenery. I mean, I don't see him wanting to leave any time soon but one of the top 3-4 players in the world would definitely come here, and will be a free agent in 3 years. If he's won a title in OKC by then and feels like his job is done there, who the fuck knows, right?

I can't really get enthusiastic about Wiggins.

But, again, the NBA cap is so fucked that you need big expendable contracts if you ever want to add good players anyways.

and it's kinda cool to bring the canucks all home.

I can't really get enthusiastic about Wiggins.

Depends on what you mean by enthusiastic. Do I think we'd be getting the Wiggins that he once upon a time had the potential to be? No, of course not.

Do I think we would be getting the Wiggins who played a real role as the starter on a championship team, who deep dicked Jason Tatum in the finals and is a well above average wing defender? Yeah.

I look at him as an OG replacement more than anything else. Not as good as OG, but healthier and way cheaper. Can defend 1-4, can stick the 3 and a 38-39% rate. For Bruce Brown? Sign me up.

If you think he can be a championship-quality big minute player than sure yeah it's a good get.

He's already done it once, and played a real role. He wasn't a role role player like Brown was. He was arguably Golden State's 3rd most important player. 2nd in minutes, did their on ball defensive heavy lifting on the perimeter.

If I'm giving the full scouting report on what I think he can do for us now: Still only 29, so no reason to think he's declined. We got merk'd against good wings after the OG trade, Wiggins doesn't fix that single handedly (RJ and Scottie both need to get better on ball) but he definitely turns a raging forest fire of a problem into more of a small brush fire. He slots everyone else in a bit more appropriately on the defensive end matchup wise. Offensively he's a consistent spacer/shooter now who you can't close out on recklessly, and in spurts he still has the ability to take over a game offensively with a pretty hard to stop bag that just isn't there consistently (and we don't need it to be because he'll be like 3rd-4th option).

If you have to, think of him as a Gary upgrade. Even if you let him play hero ball like Gary, he historically does it at similar TS% to Gary but while being a 6'7 wing with a big ass wingspan and high level athleticism, not a t-rex who is useless defensively other than to ball hawk.

Also, even if you like Gary and want him back, now Gary slots in on the bench properly where with Brown that's way more up in the air, based on matchup, etc.

He's already done it once, and played a real role. He wasn't a role role player like Brown was. He was arguably Golden State's 3rd most important player. 2nd in minutes, did their on ball defensive heavy lifting on the perimeter.

If I'm giving the full scouting report on what I think he can do for us now: Still only 29, so no reason to think he's declined. We got merk'd against good wings after the OG trade, Wiggins doesn't fix that single handedly (RJ and Scottie both need to get better on ball) but he definitely turns a raging forest fire of a problem into more of a small brush fire. He slots everyone else in a bit more appropriately on the defensive end matchup wise. Offensively he's a consistent spacer/shooter now who you can't close out on recklessly, and in spurts he still has the ability to take over a game offensively with a pretty hard to stop bag that just isn't there consistently (and we don't need it to be because he'll be like 3rd-4th option).

If you have to, think of him as a Gary upgrade. Even if you let him play hero ball like Gary, he historically does it at similar TS% to Gary but while being a 6'7 wing with a big ass wingspan and high level athleticism, not a t-rex who is useless defensively other than to ball hawk.

Also, even if you like Gary and want him back, now Gary slots in on the bench properly where with Brown that's way more up in the air, based on matchup, etc.

wO54Wp.gif

I hope we get enough skill to find out if Darko is any good.

I like that he sticks up for his players and that they like him, but tactically i can't tell you a god damn thing about him.

Value is probably about right in a non Brooklyn Nets front office created universe.

I'm pro Dejounte, and still think there's an all NBA point guard in there if you let him be lead and not play off ball, but the last 2 years did in fact happen and do have to be taken into account in his evaluation. He's been good, but below all star/all nba level for sure.

Back