• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

OT: The Toronto Blue Jays

What will this do to the market now?

IMO it can be a good thing that NYY got Tanaka for the Jays.

They were likely to sign a SP if they missed on him.

I'm reasonably sure the Cubs, White Sox, and Astros were Tanaka or bust, maybe the Dodgers too.

I feel we are up against Arizona, Seattle and LAA in the fight for Ubaldo, Garza and Ervin

No one was signing until Tanaka went - and in turn, infate the market more than usual.

Kinda funny to hear this now, given you were seemingly the only one who didn't understand this premise just the other day....

This whole waiting thing is bullshit anyway. Garza, Jimenez and Santana are all gonna get paid a shit ton anyway.

Their waiting was never "bullshit".....it was always a necessary element to their negotiations, which given what Tanaka just got, was clearly a smart (and obvious) move.

They're all getting more today, than they would have had they signed last week.

Kinda funny to hear this now, given you were seemingly the only one who didn't understand this premise just the other day....

Their waiting was never "bullshit".....it was always a necessary element to their negotiations, which given what Tanaka just got, was clearly a smart (and obvious) move.

They're all getting more today, than they would have had they signed last week.

No. I always knew that nothing would happen until Tanaka signed. Everyone did.

If you go through my posts you'll note that I've always said the rest were gonna paid a shit ton. You even quoted me where I said it.

Perhaps you have me mixed up with what AA said about how he is waiting for prices to come down?

Everyone and their mother knew that wasn't gonna happen. It's the whole reason everyone waited for Tanaka to sign. Movement on the rest should start soon.

Last edited:
Jays were "in" on Tanaka until bidding went over 5 years

http://www.bluebirdbanter.com/2014/1/22/5335450/blue-jays-were-in-on-masahiro-tanaka-but

This homo policy is beyond absurd.

Just say you aren't interested in elite free agents.

Yeah it is just plain dumb. This is the system in the MLB as it currently stands. You don't win any brownie points by having your own moral codes. You have eliminated yourself from ever being taken seriously be a major free agent.

Yeah, the Jays weren't winning this one. They really can't afford to make that kind of play for a guy who might be nothing.

I can accept that.

What i can't accept is the brass telling us that the money is there, all the while kneecapping themselves with this 5 year nonsense.

You can't have it both ways guys.

Well they have money. Its not unlimited though, so they have to be more careful than teams like the Yankees, Dodgers and Angles. Deals longer than 5 years are a big risk, and I'm not sure if they are ever worth it in baseball.

Maybe for a guy like Tanaka because of his age, but he's a big question mark too.

Teams have won without making those kinds of signings.

I think the problem is most here think the Jays should be all in for this season. But I don't think they feel the same way. They aren't mortgaging the future (any more than they already have at least).

Well they have money. Its not unlimited though, so they have to be more careful than teams like the Yankees, Dodgers and Angles. Deals longer than 5 years are a big risk, and I'm not sure if they are ever worth it in baseball.

Maybe for a guy like Tanaka because of his age, but he's a big question mark too.

Teams have won without making those kinds of signings.

I think the problem is most here think the Jays should be all in for this season. But I don't think they feel the same way. They aren't mortgaging the future (any more than they already have at least).

I can live with them not wanting to make another trade and killing the farm, but when you have 3 SP FA's out there and dont have to fork over a 1st rounder, you sign one of them.

As for them not feeling they are all in this season....funny how that word was used so much last year.

The deal for Dickey basically gave them 3 bullets in the chamber, the first shot was a disaster....they should damn well feel "all in" on these next 2

Failure to sign one of Jimenez, Santana, or Garza is a mega fail, unless they do go the trade route.

And there really is no excuse to not get one.

But they weren't even close last year. The window might not be as open as we thought it would be.

So I can see why they wouldn't want to give some insane contract to those 3. Especially with better pitchers that should be available at some point this season.

I still think they'll end up with Santana or Jimenez though.

MLB needs a hard cap. Badly.

Honestly, they don't. Even shit markets like San Diego are signing billion dollar regional TV deals. The clubs are making tons of money.

Rogers needs to accept the gravity of the financial environment that the Jays are in, and realize that a Jays regional TV deal is worth Billions of dollars, dollars that would then go towards paying the 150-160 million necessary to be among the top tier payrolls in the league.

Back