• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

OT: The Toronto Blue Jays

Once again, the game would have been quite different had the umpire known how the strike zone works. Eovaldi threw a perfect pitch, tied up the hitter and (as the overhead replay showed) got it right over the plate. But the call from the ump was a ball so instead of a strikeout and the inning ending without any damage done, the game turned into a shit show.
That was an awful call in that situation. I saw the pitch and thought ok, maybe it was outside because it definitely wasnt high. Then they showed the replay where the entire ball was over the plate. Brutal. He had a bunch of missed calls that inning.

That was an awful call in that situation. I saw the pitch and thought ok, maybe it was outside because it definitely wasnt high. Then they showed the replay where the entire ball was over the plate. Brutal. He had a bunch of missed calls that inning.
Me too. I originally thought it was a strike and way too close for a hitter not to swing at it. But I was prepared to give the ump the benefit of the doubt. Then they showed the overhead view and it wasn't even close to being a ball. It was even more of a strike than it had looked from the center field camera. If the ump makes the right call on that pitch the Red Sox are probably in a position to wrap up the series this afternoon. Instead they will have to fly back to Houston.

I'm sure that those robot umps they were using in the minor leagues this season would have called that one a strike.

I

Yeah definitely not just in favour of the Astros. I can't wait to see his umpire scorecard. I have a feeling it's going to be epic bad.

Brutal. I hate when umps just decide they're going to call strikes a few inches off the plate all game, which is what Diaz did. Even then he missed a bunch. Just call the strike zone, you are not part of the entertainment.

I love the Boston Imean "national: media crying about the one call that hurt them and not the horrendous first pitch strike call the prior at bat.

yeah Diaz got screwed in the previous AB pretty bad
That was an even worse call. The count went to 1-1 instead of 2-0 because Diaz wanta everyone to know how important he is, he gets to make up his own plate! Changes the entire AB. Diaz (Aledmys) was a PH too so its even worse for him. Anyway even if he knew it would get called a strike, you don't swing at that pitch with less than 2 strikes. Jut a gift to Eovaldi for no reason.

Once again, the game would have been quite different had the umpire known how the strike zone works. Eovaldi threw a perfect pitch, tied up the hitter and (as the overhead replay showed) got it right over the plate. But the call from the ump was a ball so instead of a strikeout and the inning ending without any damage done, the game turned into a shit show.
ah shucks

I'm fine with the up roar. Brings robots closer and closer.

At least he was relatively consistently bad in the game, so it wasn't a huge edge to one team or the other. But yeah, why people still hold out against robot strike zones, I don't get it. Like, what are you afraid of? Is this just because we still want an excuse to blame for a bad call?

Yeah, maybe before they bring it in, MLB will have to redefine the official strike zone to better resemble what they actually call, but is that a problem either?

I think that once people see that the automatic strike zone doesn’t look much different they'll start to be ok with it. You still have an umpire back there who watches the pitch and signals balls and strikes, it’s just that they have sensors helping them out. People were against replay too for the same reasons but it has made the game better.

I think that once people see that the automatic strike zone doesn’t look much different they'll start to be ok with it. You still have an umpire back there who watches the pitch and signals balls and strikes, it’s just that they have sensors helping them out. People were against replay too for the same reasons but it has made the game better.
I'm not so sure that replay has made any sport it's used in better, especially when one considers the fact that even with replay they still get the call wrong about half the time. Not only that, but the act of stopping the game while the refs or umps stand around for 5 minutes makes for awful television. And when you get to where we are now, when practically every goal scored in a hockey game is reviewed, the adage about celebration delayed is celebration denied becomes relevant. Technology is robbing the fans of the spontaneity of sport. Everything now becomes a committee meeting.

As for robot umps, again don't be so sure that people will embrace them. They have impartial electronic voting machines and 70 million Americans are now convinced that the election was rigged. Robot umps won't stop people from seeing conspiracies against their teams.

No doubt there will be plenty of conspiracy theorists. As well as Twitter nerds who make detailed charts breaking down any inconsistencies with the electronic strike zone, between different batters for example.

As for replay in baseball, 99% of plays are not challenged because they’re not close and for the ones that are, I don’t agree that the rate of getting it wrong is even close to 50%. It has removed quite a few stupid arguments from the game and eliminated the possibility of truly ridiculous outcomes like when Jim Joyce’s brain went haywire and he ruined Armando Galarraga’s perfect game.

Balls and strikes are the next frontier. It won’t be perfect but it will be a lot better than it is now.

Balls and strikes are the next frontier. It won’t be perfect but it will be a lot better than it is now.
Pure balls and strikes call will be perfect.

Still plenty of calls for people to get upset imean enjoy the human element over.

Pure balls and strikes call will be perfect.

Still plenty of calls for people to get upset imean enjoy the human element over.

Yeah, you're still going to argue over check swings, whether the batter beat the ball to the base, whether it's a catch or a trap, fair or foul, etc... But especially since they started throwing those strike zone overlays on TV broadcasts a couple years ago, it's the whole "I can literally see that's a strike, why did the ump call it different?"

Back