• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

OT: The Toronto Blue Jays

Rogers has given their management a billion dollars over the last 4 years to build a team. They’re not the problem (except that they won’t fire this admin).

They hired a guy to run the ballclub with a shit track record in a weak division because he was super successful at managing the ballpark renos and to them that was more important than being a good baseball exec.

That is very, very much the problem.

Yeah, they hired the wrong guy and forced out the right guy in the process. That was a massive error.

But since then the they’ve gotten out of the way and given the people who run the team massive amounts of cash to contend. They’ve invested like no other Jays ownership ever.

Yeah, they hired the wrong guy and forced out the right guy in the process. That was a massive error.

But since then the they’ve gotten out of the way and given the people who run the team massive amounts of cash to contend. They’ve invested like no other Jays ownership ever.

Eh, I don't think you can separate the willingness to invest and Shapiro being their guy. They believed in Shapiro and invested in the vision he presented them, point blank period. They've owned the ballclub for decades and only now when this corporate weasel is the guy were they willing to invest. That's Rogers corporate DNA showing itself, not some new found willingness to spend money on the ball club.

Should note the season after letting him go, basically stopped watching the jays and the year after stopped really tracking them. Rogers did a great job of making me indifferent to the team. Hoping Reynolds will someday make a play for the team.

Rogers has given their management a billion dollars over the last 4 years to build a team. They’re not the problem (except that they won’t fire this admin).
Your Daily Revisionist History Alert: They made the playoffs 3 out of 4 seasons and missed the other by 1 game. I'll bet if I keep reading I'll hear more whining about the guy who turned down a job offer 9 years ago next.

It's a good thing they spent 10.5 million for 17 innings of Chad Green then.

Green has been fine, but 10.5 for a guy coming back from TJ is crazy.

1) The wild card is only the playoffs in the loosest definition of the word. In other sports those are called "play in" games.

2) AA was offered a functional demotion. Technically a "job offer" but head of hot dog vending would have also technically been a job offer. AA was offered a demotion by Shapiro, from the guy running baseball ops to the #2 of baseball ops.

congrats on needing a $200+m payroll to build a few years of bubble contention for the 18th wildcard slot.
This.

They are exactly what most of us knew they were from the beginning. Their track record is mediocre instead of terrible only because they’ve been allowed to run a top-tier payroll.

Back