• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

OT: The Toronto Blue Jays

They just aren't the worst Front Office known to man.

No, they're not

af4a3130-009b-11ee-abb7-fde686cf51f1

But they're not trying very hard not to be.

They should sign Vladdy long-term immediately. No fucking idea what to do with Bo, though. I am a fan, but think most would agree he's not going to be a SS for the long-term (if he's even good enough at the position now), seems like a guy who might cry like a baby if you try to move him off, and he's allergic to walks with a batting profile that doesn't age well, while also running out a 78 wRC and .621 OPS right now. Maybe a trade makes sense here with one year left before UFA, if he has no interest in signing for any sort of discount here.

I just don't know if Vlad is someone who you have to pay like 30+ a year for because of his name basically. This year has been a nice rebound, but if he continues at the current level it's his second best career season.

But yeah, he's still young (like he's about the same age Judge was in his rookie season). Give him his deal, even at a slight overpay, and worst case we have one player to cheer for.

I just don't know if Vlad is someone who you have to pay like 30+ a year for because of his name basically. This year has been a nice rebound, but if he continues at the current level it's his second best career season.

But yeah, he's still young (like he's about the same age Judge was in his rookie season). Give him his deal, even at a slight overpay, and worst case we have one player to cheer for.
he might end up being a little overpaid, for sure. Still the face of the franchise and the massive upside makes him worth whatever risk there is there.

there's a very complicated draft lottery in place.

The Guardians had the ninth-highest chance of winning the No. 1 pick, at 2.0 percent. The Reds only had a 0.9 percent chance of winning, making the largest jump from where they would have picked if the Draft were based solely on lottery odds (No. 13). The Guardians would have had the No. 9 pick.

The Nationals finished with the fifth-worst record in baseball in 2023 but were ineligible for this year’s lottery because “payor clubs” -- clubs that give, rather than receive, revenue-sharing dollars -- are not allowed to be selected in consecutive lotteries. Their odds were reduced to zero, and they were not eligible to pick higher than No. 10, which is where they land in the Draft order.

Three other teams -- the Mets, Padres and Yankees -- that were eligible for the lottery also dropped in the first round. The Mets had the seventh-best odds (4.3 percent) to win that top pick, but because they, along with the Padres and Yankees, exceeded the second surcharge threshold of the Competitive Balance Tax, they will have their first overall pick dropped 10 spots because they did not land one of the top six picks in the lottery. That means the Mets will pick No. 19, while the Padres and Yankees will pick at Nos. 25 and 26, respectively. (The complete 2024 Draft order can be found here.)

Teams that receive revenue-sharing payouts can't receive a lottery pick for more than two years in a row, and those that don't get revenue-sharing payments can't get a top-six choice in consecutive Drafts. That means the A’s will not be eligible for one of those selections for the 2025 Draft after landing a lottery spot in 2023 and for ‘24. Furthermore, a club that's ineligible for the lottery can't select higher than 10th overall.

Mostly based on last year, but with a lotto, yeah. Although it probably doesn't matter that much, I think it's one of the worst draft classes in recent history apparently.

Back