• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

OT: WWE/MMA/Boxing Thread

With their willingness to lose money, the only hope. It’d be very tough, but I’m guessing if they bought off athletes and went the lawyer route to get them out of their contracts. I have always wondered what would happen in court if someone tried to buy out the fighters from these contracts that the courts are leaning towards saying the ufc are offside with them with the lawsuit. Might be the most interesting time to actually pressure the courts with flat out testing these contractor agreements. Trained lawyers might know the answer already lol.

It would come down to how well they can develop stars. The UFC has struggled doing this lately as they seem to not want a Conor situation to happen again. So lean on the brand more so. Competitors have really struggled with the marketing aspect.

I never thought the WWF could be in trouble, until they were for a bit. Who the fuck knows with the ufc - such a young sport.
Again, categorically false. The UFC's making more money than they've ever had and they're leveraging McGregor to improve the next TV / Stream contract they're going to get. The logic is, since McGregor flaked out from his fight against Chandler, the UFC's in no rush to offer him a new date even though he's clamoring for it. So when their deal with ESPN is up, the UFC can offer the TV / Streaming platforms two McGregor fights instead of just one.

If there was a way for the fighters to lawyer their way out of their deals, they would have a long time ago when Couture brought them to court and their contracts weren't nearly as restrictive as they are now.

Why I would find it interesting if someone actually tested walking out of a contract - knowing how unfair these contracts are (being tested in the current lawsuit). I don’t think anyone has singularly been taken to court trying to get out of the contract yet. Have wondered what would happen.

On top of it - I know Chael Sonnen is sometimes full of shit - but he seems pretty positive the fighter could get out of it. Wonder if that’s him talking or his lawyer.
Randy Couture tried this and failed.

Chael's a wonderful talker and has made more money for himself because of it instead of his actually fighting ability. If fighters could just "leave", then why haven't they?

Let's say a fighter takes the UFC to court over their contract when he's 28 years old. There's a good chance his career, in the prime of his athletic life, is going to stall with no guarantees that he'll win.

There's two specific ways for the fighters to regain control:

1- They need the anti-trust lawsuit to go to trial and hope they win. I know that they've got a new agreement for one of the two lawsuits, but there's no guarantee the judge won't reject it once again.
2- The laws need to change, specifically the Ali Act. The Ali Act needs to be applied to MMA and not just boxing, where promotions do not control the belts.

Or short of that, do what every other major sports league in North America and unionize.

Until then, the UFC has no reason to even try putting their best foot forward. They just need to keep churning out cards to fulfill their TV obligations.

Much more even fight than I thought.

Too much size difference between them, as soon as Khalil slowed down Poatan cooked him. For the first 2.5 rounds Khalil had a big speed advantage but Poatan was able to chip him down.

2-1 Roundtree

I had it the other way. The big shots in round 2, but he busted his leg, beat on him all round. Round 1 was close to me too - looked like rountree missed a lot of those shots or partially blocked. Either of those rounds could have gone to stone face

I had it 2-1 Rountree as well.

Round 1 could be debatable, but it was close. Poatan landed more, but Rountree's punches were more effective.

Last edited:
Poatan's most likely fighting the winner of Ankalaev - Rakic @ UFC 308. I think Ankalaev is going to win that one and if he does, that's going to be a very interesting match-up.

Poatan's most likely fighting the winner of Ankalaev - Rakic @ UFC 308. I think Ankalaev is going to win that one and if he does, that's going to be a very interesting match-up.

Yup. Could be the biggest balloon pop in modern MMA history if we realize that Poatan's kryptonite was "shoot the double, take the back, choke him unconscious within 45 seconds" this entire time and Dana just kept feeding him strikers instead.

A year ago when Pereira fought Błachowicz in Salt Lake City, I was convinced that was going to happen. That's what Błachowicz did to Izzy, and I saw no reason why he couldn't do it to Pereira too. And he did... for one round, before gassing out.

Also, Artem Vakhitov, the last guy who fought Pereira in kickboxing, is on the Contender Series this Tuesday and if he wins, I think he's all but guaranteed a contract and they're going to fast-track him to fighting Pereira if he can string along a few wins against some undermatched strikers.

Just pathetic that people fighting at the highest levels can’t afford to live a normal life afterwards. Hope Dana gets taken to the cleaners with changes to contracts, health care, unionization, fighter pay and billions going back to the fighters in the other lawsuit. Fighters need protection from themselves - as current fighters are just way too grateful to be in the ufc vs health care/fair pay/contractual rights.

Back